Best backsplash for a bold granite?
goodrel8
We're doing a craftsman-style kitchen: quarter-sawn oak cabinets, and have natural 1938 old-growth fir floors. The granite we've chosen is bold. We've tried a few backsplash options up against it but I'm worried they're way too busy. Ideas?
Brandi Nash Hicks
What color is the bold granite? Simple is best
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:11PM
Brandi Nash Hicks
White subway
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:12PM
PPF.
I'd say the granite is way too busy. What color will the cabinets and floors be?
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:16PM
Brandi Nash Hicks
Skip the backsplash and paint ,that granite is singing it's on song
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:31PM
ciscomo
I noticed a definite style trend in the craftsman kitchen photos of dark counters that used the short backsplash and painted walls. I've attached a couple photos, including one that used quilted stainless behind the range. Also, here's a photo of the white subway and a very pale, subdued green gray glass subway tile.

We have quartersawn oak cabinets (and a very dark Italian tile counter that looks like corten steel). Your ktchen will be gorgeous. We love ours.

Mill Valley Arts & Crafts
Seattle, WA: Lisa Hebner
Craftsman Kitchen
Saint Paul Craftsman
1 Like    Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:31PM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
A simple subway would be best. White or off-white depending on what the color in the granite is. Or possibly a very simple plain glass subway tile. What is the name of the granite?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:33PM
adivra
For a craftsman, wouldn't soapstone or marble be more authentic?
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:35PM
PPF.
Was thinking soapstone, or just a dark granite/quartz etc. Nothing wrong with more modern materials -- they would have been used if available.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:10PM
genesis
As hard as it is to wait (and you may not have the option), I recommend installing the granite before deciding on the backsplash. Sitting vertically in a quarry yard (sun, shade, shadows...) is TOTALLY different than laying horizontally in your kitchen surrounded by cabinets, flooring and appliances. My2c.
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:15PM
mcbriec
The granite is lovely. Saying it's too busy is like me telling a minimalist that their décor is harsh and uninviting. I would never be so presumptuous since it's all a matter of individual preference.

That said, I would choose a simple subway in one of the lighter colors in the granite which will still contrast with the cupboards.
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:41PM
Shelley Scales Design Associates
Not knowing the proportions of your kitchen - I assume its large and you have tall ceilings. This is a bold pattern and to work as the focal point the scale hopefully matches the scale of the kitchen. If not - go for a stone that has a bit less motion but equally nice.

The back splash can be a combination of tiles from Sonoma Tiles. They are simple and rustic like the craftsman style but also have a selection of crushed glass that pick up the the clear quartz in some granite. They have matte finished subway tiles in lovely sandy tones.
http://www.sonomatilemakers.com/ProductLine.aspx?prod-line-id=9. I Their casual elegance will work with the luxury of your granite top.
Good luck!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:55PM
April Interiors
I agree the granite is beautiful. I would do a light colored subway tile on the backsplash. I am not a fan if the 4" granite splash mixed with the tile backsplash. That creates an illusion of shortening the backsplash and looks like a "after-thought". Additionally just painting the backsplash is really not practical in a kitchen.

I would also agree that I would wait to pick a tile once the granite is installed. It will look so different horizontal, inside, in your kitchen. I hope you love your new kitchen!
    Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:03PM
RE3Designs
It really depends on the cabinet color too.
I would stay away from "subway" tile it's just too common and predictable. I find it boring because everyone has it now.

Keep it a solid or monotone color, maybe just a stripe or accent that ties in the blues and silver so it picks up the color of the counters. Let those beautiful counters take center stage.

Also I don't like painted backsplash areas because they tend to look unfinished. They also will get stained and dirty easier.
GKCarr Ina's a good point, have it installed 1st and then place your backsplash samples up to it so you can see it in place. But do not wait too long to make up your mind, you might never get too it after your kitchen is functional.
    Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:03PM
Patti McCoven
I love that granite. It's bold and dramatic and if you decide to go that route you need to pick something simple and subdued. I would suggest black or gray slate in a largish size. That being said It's not a very craftsman like countertop and depending on how craftsmanish you want the kitchen to be I think you may be missing out on an opportunity. One of the things I love about craftsman style is the tile and there a some really cool tile suppliers out on Etsy.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:27PM
goodrel8
thank you everybody. Ciscomo, one of those you sent is exactly what I was thinking. Already have that photo saved. The granite is called Lenin.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 1:49AM
ciscomo
Great minds, lol. Have fun putting your kitchen together!
    Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 6:12AM
dclostboy
Check on option of using same granite as backsplash...these were mostly remnants from the original slab.
    Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 6:20AM
trying to pick a tile and backsplash to go with granite
I am looking for tile and backsplash suggestions to...
dacia77
best paint color for river white granite and beige furniture
Our kitchen and living area will all flow together....
shannanj
Kitchen Makeover: Bold Granite or Bold Backsplash?
We are about to remodel our kitchen (see below picture)....
twinmamamaven
Michelle Stovall
Best backsplash with granite?
We are in the midst of our kitchen Reno and about to...
teachr
Calculating amount of tile needed for backsplash
I am in the midst of having a new kitchen installed,...
sfskies
Advice for front yard waterwise re-do in Southern CA
We would like to take advantage of the rebates for...
glorirz
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Need help designing kitchen
Thank you in advance for your help. Pls share your...
secluded
Need help with tile question
Our designer wants to use a 45 degree grout application...
janny3