Dining room dilemma
Karin Rudolph
I hate the empty feeling of my dining room! What should I do with this wall? How to decorate the room?
abbyjean
This might be one of those rooms where a rug would be needed under the table to change the feel of the room. Two dark items on one wall might be throwing off the balance, too.

What is in the corner in front of the window with the lamp on it? Just trying to get a feel for the room right now.
3 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 2:52AM
Aelita Leto
Yes to previous comment: missing carpet before adding anything else on the walls would be my first suggestion from Feng Shui perspective , need more photos
0 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 3:47AM
Aelita Leto
Also what is the lighting above the table if any ?
0 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 3:50AM
julieharrison
You need a rug, large chandelier, and large painting for that empty wall.
0 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 3:55AM
Patricia Colwell
I would put a longer table on that wall with a mirror over it and when entertaining a large vase of fresh flowers would be lovely and center the tall piece on that space where it is , I don't know what the white thing is beside it but it needs to go. The drapery should be able to close and hang full in the evening, I always dislike panels that obviously cannot be closed, a rug would really warm up the space but needs to be big enough to allow chairs when pulled out to still sit on carpet and you for sure need a great chandalier I would hang the painting much lower, in a dining room art can be hung so that the center is at eye level when seated. A blue runner on the table would tie in the drapes and the painting. I might even paint the wall behind the painting the gold color that is in the painting to make it stand out.
2 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 7:47AM
J LeBlanc
How about moving the short table (sideboard?) to the wall by the small window. Put the light and pictures on that table. Hang art or mirror over it. Put a tall plant where the table and lamp are in the first picture. Rug under the table. Just some thoughts.!
0 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 7:58AM
Rina
I'm a bit late joining in but I've been playing. I agree you need a rug. A big one. I think you should move your cabinet so that you can see it face-on as you enter the room. What you have on it now looks good, but a bit heavy. You might use something like the vases below to lighten it up a bit (and as a colour nod to your delightful painting).

Art on that facing wall with the cabinet. Lined up with the end of the dining table.

Something pretty under the glass on the table. Miniature succulent?

In the alcove, I'd love to see a bench, preferably a high-backed bench. A low bench could also work, with another form of art above it -- such as the wooden (actually MDF) fish below. I was looking for a monk's bench for you -- wood, with a high back -- but couldn't find one I liked. They tend to be over-ornamental. I have one that would be almost perfect, very simple, but no way is it for sale (my brother made it). :-)

Art: http://fineartamerica.com/products/paint-number-17-james-w-johnson-canvas-print.html
Vases: http://paintingandframe.com/prints/porcelain_vase_pair_of_tall_peking_glass_vases-13286.html
Fish: http://unnatiarts.com/art%20board.html#nogo
Bench: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Sofas-Loveseats/Linen,/material,/2027/subcat.html
2 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 10:31AM
Rina
Oh, yes, the low table under your bird picture. You need to put pretty things on that!
0 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 10:33AM
First thought; turn the table the other direction so more people can enjoy the view. Paint the back of the niche in your chosen accent color from the bird picture and hang the bird picture there with its center 5' above the floor. Place the tall chest on the wall where the bird picture is now. Pull the table and a rug to center on the niche out in front of the sliders. The chunky dark table under the bird now is too small and too chunky and too dark. Use it somewhere else.
1 Like   August 15, 2014 at 10:54AM
Blawnox Upholstery
The low table under your bird picture is a great place to put a lamp or some pretty accessories. I really like the idea of adding the yellow vases the room looks daily dark and the yellow will help lighten the room and tie in your pretty bird painting. Definitely a rug maybe in some lighter shades and tones to help brighten the room. Have you thought about making a cornice for over the windows? Would add a nice detail.
0 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 11:00AM
@teLiers HR
painting
0 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 11:07AM
Karin Rudolph
Thank you for the suggestions. Im going to get a big rug to ground the table. Going to move it the other direction and see if that works. Exited to finish it.
I painted the lounge that is part of this room a sand colour, was wondering if I can paint the dining room a light teal blue, or should I keep it the same sand colour?
0 Likes   August 17, 2014 at 2:16AM
swetman
Def need a rug under the table and a picture on the wall
0 Likes   August 17, 2014 at 3:07AM
abbyjean
Get the rug in the teal and let the walls remain as is. Soooo excited to see changes in your room happening for you!
0 Likes   August 17, 2014 at 7:45AM
Paint it all sand color and then pop the inside of the niche/nook in a light variation of the bird art background color. For more excitement you could stripe over that color with a couple of horizontal bands in a version of the blue or yellow color of the bird itself.
0 Likes   August 17, 2014 at 7:58AM
Karin Rudolph
Ok, I've repainted some walls and moved the furniture around. Not sure what to put is the empty corner, maybe a painting but I think I need something on the ground? Or maybe a mirror? I really would like to finish this room now!
Thank you for all the input!
0 Likes   September 5, 2014 at 9:28PM
Karin Rudolph
Other angles
0 Likes   September 5, 2014 at 9:33PM
jpatell
you still need a rug. I like your coastal theme. You could go with a flatweave striped wool rug (Ikea actually has some good ones), or a seagrass option, or a more traditional look.
1 Like   September 5, 2014 at 10:33PM
abbyjean
Small move, but would you try the plant in the corner instead of in the windows???? Love what you have done and how you have used your items here. And yes, you are almost DONE!

Are you putting up the art propped on the floor?
0 Likes   September 7, 2014 at 11:37AM
Urban Modern
something neutral
0 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 6:28PM
karelina
I agree with everyone: rug, art, drapes, get rid of the white thing. Picture is too high and doesn’t go with the room.
0 Likes   September 16, 2014 at 12:07AM
Dylan Fox Photography
I think a nice rug that could compliment some artwork on that far wall....
0 Likes   September 16, 2014 at 2:25AM
Living room / dining room wall dilemma
We live in a basic stone-on-stone , no-frills house...
Living room/dining room dilemma
I just got my first apartment and I'm super excited!...
Living room/ dining room dilemma
Family Room/Dining Room Dilemmas
I need help with color coordination, furniture placement...
Dining Room Corner Cabinet dilemma
Our new home has not one corner in the large great...
Help me choose? Curtain for door?
I love my door in my kitchen because it makes the kitchen...
Saying Goodbye to Sentimental Objects
I read the article on the ten steps to saying goodbye...
Problems with your spouse?
Do you have challenges with your spouse when you're...
Holiday Decorating - Artificial Garland
I am looking for somewhere to purchase artificial garland...
Need help with exterior colors and curb appeal
We recently bought this house because of the lot and...