How to work around an asymmetrical fireplace and mantle?
fairesc
Need ideas to make this look better - I am bugged by the asymmetrical mantle and the weird "nook" to the right of it - currently the TV is attached to a wall protrusion in that nook, that folds out for easier viewing. Please let me know of any ideas that would either 1) remove the tv and put something in the nook or fix it in some way, or 2) keep tv there, but build or put something around it in order to cover it from view but still be accessible (i do not like how it looks to have the tv next to the fireplace)
jn3344
It appears to be a good place for the TV so perhaps it is just you have the TV on the wrong piece of furniture in there. I love the credenza but the size of the TV overwhelms it, plus then it is sunk into that nook and you don't get the benefit of the sides. It's a nice piece but it is lost in there.

Maybe a built in or semi built in - in white to match the mantle - would be better. Or even a row of white cabinetry below would be all that is required. Then get the TV off the actual furniture and onto the wall. Then I think your fireplace and mantle look just fine.

Good luck!

[houzz=Roxton]
[houzz=Reconfigured Interior Space for An Open Flow]
[houzz=White Residence]
0 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 8:58AM
Construction Guaranteed
A rectangle piece of art over the fireplace may always look askew. Mounting the television higher on the wall is a great solution and the furniture below may work fine once hung. There are many qualified tech installers to install the wires into the wall with little or no repairs needed.
With the high walls you may want to place the floor lamp next to the couch up onto a table and mount artwork higher above the lamp.
Recessed lighting in the ceiling is commonplace now and not expensive. Most pictures posted here have updated lighting.
Happy designing!
0 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 9:16AM
Consider getting a larger credenza (25% wider than the TV) and moving the TV to the left of the double window. Turn the sofa to face the window wall, so FP and TV are in view and the nook is right of the sofa. The two chairs can go in front of the double window or can flank the TV credenza. Have thick custom glass or wood shelves and lighting put in the nook. You might paint or paper the back of it with a great color or pattern. Then use it to display large impressive decor or a collection.
Wells Hill
Aventura
Contemporary Penthouse - Luster of the Pearl
Crisp Traditional
0 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 9:20AM
Judy Krieger
exterior ideaqls
0 Likes   August 24, 2014 at 11:14AM
Help with dining room needed!
Hi everyone! I am decorating my dining area and would...
Looking for opinions on my TV stand
I thought I had a clever idea to use my husband's grandmother's...
I need help! Does anyone have an idea to cover up old red couches?
I have a couch and a matching loveseat. Both deep red....
stained baseboard with painted chair rail
Does it make any sense to have a painted chair rail...