Declutter Challenge! - August 2014
Emily HurleyAugust 15, 2014
I don't know about you, but I have several areas in my house that could use decluttering. It's not even that I don't WANT to do it, I just don't. If for some reason I have to throw something away, I am DELIGHTED by how much lighter I feel, so I'm not sure why I am not all over these projects on a daily basis.

Let's have a challenge for August. Post a declutter project, then post back when you finish it. Include photos if you have them and let's see the progress!

jn3344
I'm in! Will post photos later when I get home!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 15, 2014 at 2:56PM
Patty Scott
I assume that's a work / studio area, in which case it looks perfect, not cluttered.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 15, 2014 at 3:05PM
@Patty, just a photo with a lot of stuff. :) It's still a Houzz photo, so it's pretty well organized.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 4:44PM
pcmom1
I spent the last few days decluttering: garbage can is full and so is my car for things to drop off at Goodwill! It does feel so much better...

And I am telling the family this year to give me earrings or gift certificate for movies, etc. for Christmas. If it takes up much physical space: I don't want it!
11 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 15, 2014 at 7:59PM
edithsmom
pcmom, like you, since we retired and downsized several years ago, we asked our three adult children to only give gifts that we could eat, read or use up, but not store...and we try to do the same with them. Have received lots of interesting, yummy foods, gift certificates to restaurants, trips (from the higher income relatives) and a few books (we are both avid eclectic readers).
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 16, 2014 at 11:24AM
pcmom1
My kids have also reached the point of preferring to get one big thing rather than a lot of small gifts to open. Last year to fill out the tree, I wrapped up toys from their childhood and placed special books I use to read to them scattered underneath. They loved it!
12 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 16, 2014 at 11:37AM
rredpenn
pcmom, the ultimate re-gifting! That is a fun idea. The gifts are the memories, not the things.
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 16, 2014 at 12:01PM
unwantedadvice
Okay, I'll play. Now mind you it is just one drawer and of course I did not think to take a true "before" pic, but you can easily see all the "stuff" that came out of the drawer.
21 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 16, 2014 at 9:58PM
chookchook2
Today we got rid of 2garbage bags of clothes etc and 2 pieces of pine furniture to the opportunity shop. Also dropped off an antique piece to our friendly dealer. Child sorted out toys to go into storage in the shed. This challenge is good.
9 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 17, 2014 at 5:02AM
stlouisgaltoo
Decluttered my car. I work out of it....i get lazy.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 17, 2014 at 2:31PM
Maryl Hershelman
All those Twix fix I get from the vending machine on the way home...tons of crannies in my car filled with the proof....finally destroyed the evidence. The house is another story...may need September.
7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 17, 2014 at 4:46PM
chookchook2
Am I on Carzz site?
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 17, 2014 at 8:16PM
gmatllamas
Any hints on how to de-clutter and organize my computer files? Of particular challenge to me is best way to ID files so I can find them fast when I need them next time, and some that require I down load before opening, then I don't want them after all, but I can't find them again to get rid of them! grrrrr!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 17, 2014 at 8:45PM
condomary
@gmatllamas. Make folders for different categories. You are not alone with your dilemma. A lot of people have trouble organizing their computer. Think of your computer as one big file cabinet. Folders are like drawers. And you can have folders within folders to further organize.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 17, 2014 at 9:03PM
ragsangle
Well...now that I live alone I don't have any clutter. Although I would like to downsize when I move for winter! That will be my challenge and a half trying to find places to donate things since right now I live at the cabin and it's in the country.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 19, 2014 at 10:39PM
cgilhuly
I take up the challenge. Get rid of the mess.
15 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 4:31AM
Erin Blanton
Good idea for a challenge. I think I'll work on the dining room. I moved about 2.5 months ago and the dining room has become the receptacle for all the yet-unpacked boxes and stuff I don't know where to put.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 4:58AM
jmpwashington
I need to decluttered my basement. Possibly get it remodeled, it's an unfinished basement and my family and I hate to go down there, and I want to make it a family room, will post before and after at the end of the month.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 5:38AM
cluelessatdecorating
I am preparing for hardwood floors to replace carpeting in my entire upstairs (4 bedrooms). We've lived here 25 years and have collected way too much junk! I have about three weeks to get everything at least off the closet floors, under beds, etc. I've been at it for about 10 days. It feels good, but I just hope to be finished in time. Excited for new floors!
7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 5:43AM
lindler
During our remodeling, I have been purging and organizing. I still have a long way to go, but I have already have gotten rid of a lot. This will be a great way to be accountable and keep my momentum.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 5:57AM
karinbee
I think everything you have is just fine! Simply using black paint, a few simple and basic black picture frames and book cover papers might simplify and unite all of your "good bones". Use simple black frames to unite the wall artwork to the left of your shelves. I would paint your desk black. I would cover or paint the top of your long worktable black., too, or replace it with a new top....maybe black, smooth Formica, like the top of old lab tables. I would also use black paint for the blonde wooden supporting structures of your one white chair at your long worktable. These ideas would be time consuming, but inexpensive; perhaps you could cover all of the large books on the top shelf with white, yellow and just a few red colored papers. Then you could label them on the spines with a black magic marker or if your hand printing isn't so good, you could print off labels on your computer, selecting one standard type style, enlarged, and glue them to the spines of the books. I LOVE your touches of red and yellow! Go for it!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 6:39AM
houseatthelake
Sewing room clutter. Converting back to spare bedroom.
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 6:48AM
houseatthelake
In process of purging. Lots will go.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 6:49AM
jcapehart
Most of my friends are moving to retirement villages. I have watched them go through the what do I keep stage. Pick out the things you would want to decorate your new home and call an auction house for the rest. Now you can relax in your new home count the money from the auction, and not worry about doing this whan you are older. some day I'm gonna get organized
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 6:55AM
glschisler
We de cluttered stuff we took to the basement & haven't used in years. Like 3 7 ft ficus trees, floor lamps, chairs , pillows, etc. just a sigh that it is GONE!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 7:06AM
C & B Realty
We moved last year and I am still going through boxes to eliminate unneeded items. I have the same lighter feeling when the trash can is full.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 7:27AM
Christina Breeze
Clutter will be my next thing to attack ! Sounds like a war plan & it is ! The posts here help !
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 7:52AM
cgilhuly
Well here I am a couple of hours after my first photo. Steps to de-clutter (for me) 1. Get out a bag for goodwill, blue garbage and white garbage. 2. Start just inside the door and move to the right. 3. Pick up every item and deal with it, put in garbage, where it belongs, or in a bag to leave even if some things must be filed for later follow up. 4. Continue to work systematically until you have made it all the way around the room. 5. Garbage out, all items being donated out the door as well and take to the donation location today. Have a wonderful day.
45 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 8:12AM
sarahloveland
Seems like I move through the house doing this all the time and, like bridge painting, by the time I am done I have to start all over again. Of course we have 9 yr old twins, a big farm house and two barns. The "stuff" factor increased a lot after we moved from our 1000 sqft house in the city.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 8:12AM
cgilhuly
Hi Mom of twins:
Congratulations for even having time to think about cleaning. It also sounds like you have a system to get things done AND you have a busy family. When my children were still home we sometimes had "home camp" we fixed door knobs, cleaned the siding, cleaned the windows, and we had fun. It was a great family time and a good learning experience. So have the children join you, however at your family stage it may be more important to just have fun and play with your children; there will be time when the children leave home to de-clutter. I am going to be with my twin grandchildren next week, they are ten, and we will just play and eat. Have a joyful day.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 8:22AM
shars55
I am a little OCDish, I think, because it would drive me to the brink of insanity to live with any clutter. I get a little crazy when I have two days worth of mail on my kitchen counter.....I guess my closet could use a good cleaning, though.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 8:29AM
greenyogini
Very timely! :) No pix of the decluttering efforts yet, but I started on some projects last night (before seeing this post), so I'm already in! ;)

Went through some old boxes of papers and stuff in the garage, decluttered and reorganized some book shelves (posted in a separate dilemma thread), and painted the exterior side of the garage door Radiant Orchid. :D

Next up: More garage sorting, seasonal closet sorting, office sorting, kitchen table sorting (mail/paper catch-all), and PURGING of the STUFF! :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 9:24AM
diyer59
Clutter has been found to actually interfere with mental health. Any wonder some of the most cluttered homes are of those with the hording affliction? But that's an extreme.

I've always been "organized" and neat without feeling like a fanatic. But after illness and lots of stress, the neat piles of paperwork grew and grew. I managed to declutter when I felt up to it, but still don't feel I'm back to where I used to be. Someday soon, I plan to have my home office back to what it once was--a pleasure to be in.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 10:31AM
Catherine Gibson
Scanners are my de-cluttering friend! the hubs insists on keeping receipts so I've been going through piles and piles scanning and shredding. My best advice to those who are trying to de-clutter compoter files is, to give your folders really descriptive names. you can use things like:
warranties, Drury Lane house documents, new house documents, my medical, hubs medical sons medical gas company, car insurance, house insurance...

Don't be afraid to give folders long names and to do the same to documents. So many of us started working with computers back when we could only have a limited number of characters in the file name and never got out of the habit of self-limiting.
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 10:51AM
beverlynn
In the midst of decluttering the office/loft. I just bought a daybed to go in there, so I'm getting rid of one of the desks. I cleaned out the closet so that I can put the file cabinet inside. Sorting and shredding papers, deciding what to keep and store in the file cabinet. I have to figure out where to put the shredder and waste basket; along with the CD tower. The battery in the camera is dead, otherwise, I'd post a picture of the mess. Will post when it's done!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 4:43PM
kpappal
Shars55, I'm cut from the same cloth as you! Just can't stand clutter. Everything is in its place here. Unless there are health problems, I can't understand why folks let their homes, which are supposed to be the place they love to be, and love to come home to, turn into a cluttered, disorganized state.
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 6:39PM
Genevieve
No criticism is allowed of course if you want a huge response to this :))
It doesn't take much to get into the dumping and piling up mode , procrastination , luck of time , luck of space, illnesses all of these can cause chaos that is unwanted . No before picture but I will contribute to this and yes I'm not perfect :)
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 7:45PM
shars55
Genevieve and kpappal, I completely understand if illness keeps someone from keeping the house neat. I don't judge anyone else's house, but in mine, I HAVE to have it neat and clutter free. It keeps me calm and happy. I could NOT live with clutter.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 8:07PM
Alta Hanlon
I think everyone wants a neat and clutter free home. My organizational skills went out the window after a car accident, so I can empathize with those who have a hard time with that.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 9:25PM
cajunsma
Already working on it. Last month I moved 6 truckloads of "stuff" out of my shed.

This month, it's paper! Yeah, I'm one of those who can't seem to get rid of paper, but I'm working on it.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 11:11PM
cajunsma
Remember: 80% of our "stuff" is used 20% of the time. Think about it as you go. I'm trying to.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 11:15PM
tony1409
I find myself holding onto personal items / crafts my kids did in their early childhood etc etc. It's very hard for me to get rid of these sentimental items. Plus I like to pull out every couple years and we all share in those memories. I'm Thinkin maybe one day when they have kids. That their kids would love to see/ have these items . Your views/ advise . Thanks
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 21, 2014 at 12:57AM
Resolving Investment Properties LLC
Remodeling time in my house, so my dressing room has become the storage room and dumping place for things I no longer need. Time to purge so I can have my dressing room back.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 21, 2014 at 4:42AM
rredpenn
tony1409-- When my kids were small, I invested in two large Rubbermaid totes, one for each kid. As they were growing up, I stuck/tucked in "sentimentals"--their baby books, photos, keeper artworks, outgrown special toys, favorite picture books, clothes, etc. As they got older, sports medals, trophies, school work and certificates, etc. went in. School pictures also, for every year. I figured I'd scrapbook their stuff someday, but it never happened. But, it was nice for when we decorated for their HS graduation parties! Everything was easy to find and put back. Their boxes are still "contained chaos"! :)

My rule with this system was "If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go in the tote"...but, when one tote became full (middle school?), I did have to get another one for each kid. Periodically each kid purged their boxes with me, too. (Why are you keeping THAT, Mom?? haha) I now have all their stuff in just two totes apiece. Someday I'll give these to them. For now, they store well in the guest room closets.
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 21, 2014 at 5:13AM
greenyogini
A box for each kid is a great idea, but another way to hold on to the visual while decluttering is to take photos of sentimental items that don't have a current use. (A mug, for instance, can be used daily if it's in good shape, but a teddy bear covered in years of slime and grime will probably just sit on a shelf, at best.) Taking photos of art work, toys, etc. and then having them printed in customized photo albums (so easy to do these days) is a perfect solution for someone who wants to have a physical/visual memory to show future generations. :) Save the things that you really have to *touch* or *use* to appreciate, and then take photos of those things that are important only in a visual sense.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 21, 2014 at 6:15AM
C & B Realty
Tony1409 I too kept a lot of my kids things. I gave a full tote to the oldest daughter and I still have the tote for the son with full intention of making a scrapbook. We'll see if I get it done before he moves out.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 21, 2014 at 6:28AM
tony1409
Wonderful ideas! I don't feel so odd after all .
    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 21, 2014 at 8:05AM
Meribeth Hudnall
Pantry/laundry/medicine cabinet! I live in 1 room so I have lots of stuff... Need to make it prettier though! Will repost
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 21, 2014 at 8:06AM
Christina Breeze
We were 30 years military and decluttering was a way of life! Imagine the relief when we retired from that life and got new jobs and a bigger house with amble storage ,an electronic shop in the garage, a study,a sun-porch /office and a professional office a mile from home plus storage.Suddenly he passed away and my daughter, granddaughter and I are slowly making a dent in the life that used to be and forging a head to create a new one.
10 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 21, 2014 at 8:27AM
acostica
Before and after for our office!
25 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 21, 2014 at 11:17AM
Awesome job!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 5:03PM
motherto2
I am so ready to do this! My family room has looked like I have a hoarder living out there the last 7 months. In anticipation of both of my kids moving out of the house, we have been collecting furniture and things. Literally piling it on top of each other. My daughter moved out two weeks ago tomorrow. I kind of forced the issue of her taking all of her stuff. She's the type that will take just what she wants and not deal with the rest. I do have some more boxes for her sitting in my living room to take up to her. My son moved down into that room so I had to find a place for all of my stuff that was out there (paint, coolers, etc) so those went into a storage closet I have that's now more junked up than ever. But I did get her room painted and new bed, bedding, curtains, furniture, etc. in it last weekend. I am now working on getting everything together to go in my son's old room. He should be moving out in a few months, and then I'm going to town! New carpet upstairs, get rid of more stuff. I found someone to take all of these stuffed animals that were brand new and she will also take lots of "chatchkies". I gave her two large bags of stuffed animals and some other stuff this week. Wish I had some pics of my daughter's room for the before and after, but no such luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 7:05PM
houseatthelake
Making progress.
6 Likes    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 7:34PM
loreshep
Wow, houseatthelake, you are doing GREAT. Very inspirational. My disaster area is my walk-in closet. WAY too embarrassed to post a before picture.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 9:08PM
Kathy Peltzer
Ok, I jumped head first into this one. Our master closet has been haunting me, and I would get a sick feeling when ever I entered the door. Here's my before pics.
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 8:27AM
Kathy Peltzer
I discovered that by pulling everything out, and sorting the "keeps" from the "keep nots", my husband is a clothes hoarder! But he's a visual reality kind of man and decided the outcome was better than the keepsakes. I added a new lightbulb and "Whila"!
12 Likes    Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 8:36AM
Kathy Peltzer
I just joined the group so please tell me that there that there is a clutter challenge every month. I am sooooo pumped up after this one!
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 22, 2014 at 8:43AM
summilux
We're in. The primary purpose is to replace carpets in the 2 rooms that still are carpeted (take our word- it's a need not a want) with hardwood floors. Declutter is also an objective. One room is bare now, the other started clearout today. Don't think we'll be done by the end of the month as we're using wknds to do the work.
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 8:04PM
armygirl1987
I am in. My computer desk is the first thing that you see when you open the door and I need to clean the area up.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 8:12PM
pcmom1
A trick for your clothes is to put all hangers on the pole the opposite of what you would normally do. Then as you wear a piece of clothing, rehang it with the hanger going the opposite way. Then at the end of a season, check what items you didn't wear and really think of donating those.
7 Likes    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 9:00AM
armygirl1987
That is my desk area clutter.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 8:35AM
Joanie C
I've recently named my house "purge-atory." My mother-in-law passed away last year and all of her household goods (that had any "value") moved into our house. Then my father passed away right before Christmas (my mom died a few years ago), and our house filled up more. It was okay to go through it all slowly until I convinced my husband to go open concept with our house. The structural changes look awesome. The view of the things that we are "storing" in the open areas, really not awesome.

So I accept the challenge (even before I read there was one!). I am finding homes for (i.e., purging!!) items from our home that we don't use, don't need, and probably don't like. We will keep some of the special items that we inherited (that we love and will use), but I will de-clutter!
6 Likes    Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 10:13AM
adivra
Oh my! Some of the posters' pictures are something else. Good luck all!
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 11:57AM
mlou72
A friend of mine boxed up all her nick knacks for a month. Brought back out the boxes and discovered she really didn't want most back. Off to the charity they went and less dusting and upkeep for her. Great idea!
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 12:26PM
houseatthelake
There always seems to be one room in the house where everything we don't know what to do with goes. For me always seems to be my sewing room. Going to change this behaviour if I don't know what to do with it I will either give it away or find a home for.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 1:51PM
beverlynn
FINALLY!!!!! After a solid week (after work, Saturday, and today after work), a plastic bin (now in closet) two kitchen sized trash bags, and filling up the shredder twice, the loft is DONE!!! The desk on the right is empty and ready to be picked up for donation so that the daybed can go in its spot on Saturday. One pic shows what I came home to today (which looks good compared to when I first started emptying drawers), and the other is the finished product!! All I can say is never again...
7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 25, 2014 at 4:56PM
rossroldan
just thrown one full garbage bag yesterday, work is still in progress!:).... gotta do it ;) sorry don't have the photo yet!
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 9:32PM
2dogssashatess
I took a stationwagon full of old clothes to the op shop on the weekend:)
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 11:27PM
debbiea56
I totally agree with the decluttering and mental health comment. It's one of the areas we do have control over. Afterwards, you feel so much better. Our minds are cluttered enough and looking around at an organized and minimal space helps clear your mind.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 6:50AM
Catherine Gibson
beverlynn - What a heroic effort! The newly cleared space looks soo nice and calm. I always have to remind myself that, I am not my stuff, my memories are not in the stuff, and I can honor the people who gave me the stuff by giving things I don't need or use to people who can use them and need them.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 7:13AM
beverlynn
Thank you Catherine! You are so right! It was work! The desk was overflowing, I had papers on top, it was a hot mess! I had been intending to clear it out, but never seemed to get to it. Ordering the daybed forced me to get it done so that I can get rid of that desk. Now I am forced to toss, shred, or file immediately! I am also going paperless in some instances. @debbie56, that's why it was bothering me so badly! That room had become a catchall, and I couldn't stand it!!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 8:22AM
houseatthelake
Almost finished with my spare bedroom decluttering. Have given away a lot and tossed what is no longer useful. Feels good. Can't wait to have my spare bedroom back again for what it was meant to be.
    Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 3:31PM
Nancy Walton
I don't have photos, but we just moved from a 2100 sq ft house with two storage rooms in the garage to a new house 1400 sq ft. We rented a 15 Cu yd dumster and proceeded to fill it up!
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 4:06PM
unwantedadvice
Hey, Nancy, did you do that house project you were going to do on that thread awhile back? You were going to build on your existing land. Just curious. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 5:39PM
Nancy Walton
No, we decided after my emergency surgery last year that we needed to be closer to doctors and hospitals, so we moved north of Albuquerque. There are two hospitals, one within 2 miles, and one within 8 miles. Our dr.'s office is about 6 miles.
    Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 5:48PM
unwantedadvice
Thanks for the info, Nancy. I hope you are enjoying your new home and I hope you are doing okay health wise.
    Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 8:34PM
mschil9
I am clutter free and have been for years, here's my humble tips. Pretend you are going to move far away and have to pay for it to be moved and on a tight budget. All of a sudden things have less value. I give away family treasures to my friends as no family to pass on to and so enjoy when I go to friends houses and see my family things displayed with love! One other tip just two of us. "Really how many sets of towels, sheets, dishes, etc do 2 people need?"
7 Likes    Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 8:54PM
litehearted
Catherine Gibson, ask your hubs if he would consider some online tools such as: YNAB [You Need a Budget] and Home Inventory [by Binary Formations LLC]? For each receipt that enters your wallet/home, you can enter info into YNAB and for big-ticket-items or non-disposable items that have warranties, etc. you can also enter into Home Inventory. The info is ready to retrieve at a moment's notice, and you can scan the original receipt to append to the file -- whilst paper copy can be disposed of. You might prefer it over your current method, you never know. YNAB is free to try for a month.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 20, 2014 at 12:07PM
summilux
OK- so I knew we wouldn't be done by August, but we did complete the project within a month of the 8/22 posting.
4 Likes    Bookmark   September 20, 2014 at 1:24PM
lindler
I finished this a couple of weeks ago - the before - in-between and finished room - Just need to repair and hang one set of curtains.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 20, 2014 at 1:57PM
litehearted
no way I'm posting a before, lol...however, I am de-cluttering [downsized, now living w/ everything put in storage and getting rid of it ruthlessly]...nice to give things to Goodwill and to goddaughter and friends, but now down to books/photos/papers/sentimental things ugh! getting rid of old receipts feels good...especially since incoming receipts now entered in YNAB + Home Inventory then purged immediately. #feelsgood
1 Like    Bookmark   September 20, 2014 at 2:13PM
everdebz
Yo on this I'm in the know - not doing the de-cluttering even though ya Know how good it is afterward. I moved over a year ago - so Finally one day... I got out the box of new folders and started sorting and filing all the papers that were scattered around ... better!
    Bookmark   September 20, 2014 at 2:28PM
litehearted
I'm all for filing those papers...but even MORE for not having papers to file! What we need is the info [data] from those papers, but not the papers themselves...unless it is a legal document. http://lifehacker.com/5883371/gather-these-twenty-five-documents-you-need-before-you-die
    Bookmark   September 20, 2014 at 3:13PM
2014...Calling all New Years resolutions;)) Testify!!
First up... Put down the fork and spoon and lose weight....
POLL: What project phase are you on?
Whether you are just in the dreaming phase or are mid...
This dining room is holding me hostage ...
... I can't walk by this room without stopping to stare...
towanda53
How do I get rid of the guilt?
One of my holdups to a clean and organized home, and...
cookingistherapy
Worth it to paint my maple handrail to sell our house?
Our stager suggests having the handrail painted because...
christycorb
Need ceiling light fixture for Powder Room with sloped ceiling
We need a ceiling fixture for our Powder Room, which...
Ann Becker
Help us have a ' safe and happy landing ;)'
Our apartment is on the fourth and top floor of our...
chayalarosenberg
Bathroom update...my husband likes the big mirror, and I don't!
We purchased a home built in the 70's. The vanity...
Nancy Blowers
Need help selecting finish for interior door knobs
I have a home that was built in 1968 and we are in...
michelleroth113
Would like your opinions on this wainscot
We are doing major renovations, have removed a wall...
staceyw126