Is it ok to paint trim white in a contemporary house?
Jennifer
August 16, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Hi there! We are considering purchasing an early 1980s contemporary home which has lots of great spaces that work for our family. However this is a bit of a change from the styles we usually like (Colonial, cape cod, etc) and we are trying to figure out how we would decorate and paint. My question is can you paint the woodwork white in a contemporary house or will that impact resale later? Also, the cabinets are original but owners put dark granite over them so I' wondering if I can paint the cabinets? Since we have been looking at colonials we had been thinking antique white for cabinets but I'm guessing this won't go in a contemporary? How about dark grey? Other ideas? Thanks for all of your help!! :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hayleydaniels
Can you post some pictures of the home?
   August 17, 2014 at 7:14AM
Jennifer
Here is one of the pictures. Thanks for looking! :)
   August 25, 2014 at 12:01PM
stefaniebogles
white is clean and crisp...I would go for it!
   Thanked by Jennifer    August 25, 2014 at 12:09PM
PRO
ProSource Memphis
Not seeing anything really contemporary about that pic. Are you sure that's what style the home is?
   Thanked by Jennifer    August 25, 2014 at 12:13PM
Sheri
I have a similar type of house I think, (old "contemporary") although mine is early 90's shed style. I have been afraid to paint my trim for the most part. However I have seen some pictures here where they do and it looks good. I don't think it would hurt resale value if you do a nice job, as white trim seems to be more popular now than wood. I would also paint the cabinets too if that's what you like. Some things I would consider before choosing colors is the color of the floors, counters and other fixtures in the home. That kitchen floor and counter looks really warm, so ivory would probably be a better choice than grey. I've seen some pictures on here where the trim is painted the same neutral as the wall and seems to blend which may look more modern, also black trim could look cool. Definitely post more pictures of your home, you will get more feedback.
   Thanked by Jennifer    August 25, 2014 at 12:26PM
Jennifer
Yeah, they call it contemporary I think bc it has lots of windows, high ceilings in living room, floating stairs etc. Here are a few more from the kitchen area. Thanks so much. :)
   August 25, 2014 at 12:46PM