Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthia_griner

Which chandelier for over my Dining Room Table?

Cynthia Griner
9 years ago
Please look at the images below of my Dining Room.

Comments (23)

• Ei L
    9 years ago
    Honestly, if you have a chandelier, I don't think you absolutely have to add another centerpiece. I like the candle holders you already have; perhaps you could move them each a little closer to the middle? Doing that, along with the chandelier would make a very pretty presentation.
    Cynthia Griner thanked Ei L
  • PRO
    Nevin Nelson Design Inc.
    9 years ago
    I agree with EiL. It's hard to select the perfect chandelier because there are thousands to choose from. If you have exhausted your search, then have come up with these four, then you probably have chosen the ones you could live with. Make sure the size is right -- about half as big as the width of the table.
    Cynthia Griner thanked Nevin Nelson Design Inc.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    Center pieces on tables are usually lower and as for the chandalier I don't really like any of them I think most are way to elaborate with what I feel is a country style table with the benches I would go with a drum shade without the crystals and place the coral on the floor and a table runner not the place settings would be all you need with the candle holders.
    Cynthia Griner thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Cynthia Griner
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I have a big family of four boys....21/19/14 & 9, which is why I use placemats or chargers with cloth napkins. It is also a way to teach etiquette. I do have a runner from Z Gallerie to use, when I have company. I thought the leather club chairs added glamour in contrast of the dark wood. I like to expose my boys to upscale design, and thought a crystal chandelier would be a fancy addition.
  • Ei L
    9 years ago
    I like your mix of styles! (I'm a real 'eclectic' myself - - in fact, my personal preference tends toward mixing rather than 'matching'. But it's very subjective of course.) I particularly like your use of the club chairs with that table. So bringing in the Quinn chandelier, (and its mixture of styles), makes for an interesting addition IMHO.

And understood about your boys - - their partners, or future partners will thank you for it!!
  • sharon1ha
    9 years ago
    I prefer the Quinn in gold and I think you have a lovely home. Off subject, I also want to congratulate you on raising your children to appreciate and respect their surroundings, whether something cost $10 or $100. It is a breath of fresh air to see children learning how to have manners, something lost on a lot of children today.
    Cynthia Griner thanked sharon1ha
  • Ei L
    9 years ago
    CG, I liked the original placement of the candle holders; just placing them a little closer together than the original pic. I still like the gold Quinn, (which I find funny, since I tend to gravitate to silver things), but I DO really like this in your setting/dining room, even though the chair's nail heads are pewter.
    And sorry, I have to take a moment to gush . . . this is SO fun. I'm new to it, and am SO looking forward to seeing what you finally decide. After all, it's about YOU and what YOU like and FEEL good living with! Enjoy the process, and be sure to post a pic of your final decision. (Note: It's never REALLY final ;D hahaha. But always FUN!) -- ei
  • Ei L
    9 years ago
    Pretty. Are you near seaside, or just a shell-lover. Either way; nice.
  • tabelle70
    9 years ago
    Interesting that you like shells. Before I read the posts even, something about your room made me think of a capiz (sp?) shell chandelier. I do like the one your son likes, but something about the finish on the table and the placemat motif and even the vase with the twigs says more 'earthy/natural' to me.
    Cynthia Griner thanked tabelle70
  • PRO
    Mondays House of Design
    9 years ago
    PLEASE FORGIVE ME I TRULY THINK THE CHANDELIERS DO NOT WORK. WE ARE WORKING WITH BENCHES AND LEATHER CHAIRS . KEEP IT SIMPLE AND IF YOU WANT A LITTLE SPARKEL TAKE THE COLOR OF THE NAIL HEADS AND DO A VERY SIMPLE ONE.
    CLEAN OFF THE TABLE A LARGE BOWL IN THE SAME A THE LIGHTING ADD A REAL PLANT good luck hunting LYNN
    Cynthia Griner thanked Mondays House of Design
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    I suggest more of an island light…rectangular, and about half the length of your table. Keep it simple. The table and benches are quite heavy looking. Clear off the table top.
    Artcraft SC543OM Mercer Street Island Light · More Info
    Cynthia Griner thanked JudyG Designs
  • Cynthia Griner
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    If you are reading this last comment. I have moved the Montego Vase with Coral Sprig to the floor. I have decided against the Quinn Chandelier, because their is a problem with the glue showing on the shade.
    My search continues for Simple Modern BLING!
  • mermaide
    9 years ago
    I'm not clear on the connection between a fancy dining room and etiquette.
    Cynthia Griner thanked mermaide
  • mcbmd3
    9 years ago
    The linear will add modern glamour without being excessively formal, which does not suit your dining space. Thanks you for teaching your boys manners; all of us benefit from your efforts.
    Cynthia Griner thanked mcbmd3
  • tabelle70
    9 years ago
    Hmm, still not feeling it. Something's off. Where's the 'prolighting' poster? They'd have ideas for sure.
  • Chris Shannon
    9 years ago
    how about something more modern like this ?
    http://www.biju.co.uk/item_page.asp?item=3936
  • michrod7
    9 years ago
    The item on the dining table is much to large as is the vase with plant in the background. I like the idea of an island light. Keep it simple.
    Cynthia Griner thanked michrod7
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 years ago
    Are there any other fixtures in the room (i.e. living room / entry / kitchen)?
    Cynthia Griner thanked Whispar Design
  • Micki
    9 years ago
    Search Houzz with "Farmhouse Chic"/ dining room. I saw quite a few crystal chandeliers used. Good luck.
    Cynthia Griner thanked Micki
  • PRO
    Nevin Nelson Design Inc.
    9 years ago
    When I first saw that crystal chandelier that you are showing JudyG, I thought it was fantastic, but now, about five years later, I am seeing it everywhere. I don't have the time now, but I could find you some chandeliers that I think would look good. Maybe tomorrow?
    Cynthia Griner thanked Nevin Nelson Design Inc.
  • Cynthia Griner
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I found my Chandelier ~ The Mia Faceted-Crystal Pendant! Simple Modern Bling! It is on back order so...after it arrives, and is hung I will post a photo!
    Thank you houzz community for all of your comments.
  • Cynthia Griner
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I decided on another Chandelier, because the other one is on back order until October! ~ The Odeon Crystal Glass Fringe 3-Tier Chandelier! Classic yet Modern Bling! I will post a photo after my Dining Room is complete.
    Thank you houzz community for all of your comments!.