Wood bathroom decor
colleenfromthenorth
Hi all. This is a very small bathroom in my new home. I'm looking for ideas to paint the white wall/decor to brighten this tiny bathroom. I am on a very minimal budget as a young first time homebuyer, but would love your advice. Eventually, I would love to put some sort of bowl sink in instead of this small camper looking sink. I also don't think I want to paint the wood as it's expensive and I like the rustic look of it. Could maybe paint the mirror? Colors/ideas/decor appreciated! Also can't afford to redo the floor but could change the rugs as they came with the house.
Brandi Nash Hicks
Take down that mirror and get a different one that is hung on the wall and taller ,use a driftwood mirror or sea shell
4 Likes   August 17, 2014 at 7:37PM
Brandi Nash Hicks
Maybe you could paint the cabinet base to give some depth to the room ,like black ...yes black
   August 17, 2014 at 8:25PM
mermaide
White rugs. Is there a shower curtain?
1 Like   August 17, 2014 at 8:29PM
colleenfromthenorth
No this just a small bathroom with toilet and sink only.
   August 17, 2014 at 8:40PM
HI -- This is a small room and all that busy out dated double directions wood is not helping . The wood is not expensive , it didn't cost you anything because you didn't put it in . It is not worth keeping . This is your first home so I think this room needs to have a fresh start . Remove the old wood for new walls ,new vanity and sink and a new mirror . This would add more value to the house . Trying to add or do things to work with the wood is never going to look good . The wood just makes the room look small and out of style .
2 Likes   August 17, 2014 at 9:20PM
studio10001
I think painting the mirror is a great idea while you save money for the changes you mentioned. I suggest a dark brown, to pick up those tones from your wood, with a pumpkin on the walls to continue the main wood shade... The floor is a different style altogether, so what would you think of covering it up entirely w a rug, for now?. You can purchase a washable 4x6, and cut it around the commode and cab. Add a towel set to match.
These are quick, rather than exact examples:
1 Like   August 17, 2014 at 9:49PM
makaloco
I love the wood and would want to keep it, too. The rugs definitely need changing, though. I'd get a smaller solid color rug for in front of the sink, or (more likely) not use rugs. There's nothing wrong with leaving the walls white or off-white and using color for trim and accessories. What is that dark accent band around the wall? Could you paint it?
   August 17, 2014 at 10:45PM
bgfuqua
keep the wood. ditch the rugs. keep the wall white. paint the band on wall and mirror frames green. get some hand towels in two shades of green.
1 Like   August 17, 2014 at 11:33PM
colleenfromthenorth
I do want to keep the wood. Fantastic idea to paint the band and mirror green and accent with green hand towels as that is what I had in there and took out to take the pictures. I could take out the rugs and leave the floor as is. I live in the Yukon though and we have wood stove heating so the floors can get really cold in the winter. That's the only reason I can think of why they had these rugs in there.
   August 17, 2014 at 11:56PM
memew3
Frame your mirror in small branch pieces. This adds character and the price is "free".
1 Like   August 18, 2014 at 12:33PM
Phase Five Interiors
The wood on the wall is unique. If you are going to keep the wood it can make a great focal wall. I would suggest a larger mirror in a contrasting finish, maybe metal frame. The mirror can be the same width as the existing but 2 1/2 x the height of your existing mirror. Having a larger mirror will give the illusion that the room is larger. I would also suggest changing the hardware on your cabinets to compliment the new mirror and place just one small rug centered between the toilet and sink.

Good luck!
1 Like   August 18, 2014 at 12:43PM
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
You can change the mirror to a more modern one with a metal frame and a larger mirror to open up the space. You can also consider changing the fixtures and the towel bar to a brushed nickel finish.
1 Like   August 18, 2014 at 1:20PM
Mint Design
I agree with phase five that you should change the hardware and the mirror. you can also totally strip the floor of all wax and paint it a dark color, then polyurethane over it. i hope this helps. :)
   August 21, 2014 at 12:02AM
studio10001
We keep calling this a mirror, but it appears to be a medicine cabinet that posters want to get rid of. OP may need this?
1 Like   August 21, 2014 at 3:28AM
colleenfromthenorth
No, I don't really need it and like the idea of a flat, larger mirror to open up the space.
   August 21, 2014 at 7:49AM
colleenfromthenorth
Any ideas/pictures of hardware?
   August 21, 2014 at 7:50AM
Bathroom Walls - What to do with a mostly wood decor?
I am builidng a new home and struggling with what to...
dark wood "wood like" porcelain tile pros and cons when decorating
Can anyone help me with the pros and cons of choosing...
Dark wood doors, dark wood trim... How to decorate a lake house?
We have a lake house with dark wood doors and trim,...
Need help decorating this pink marble bathroom
We just purchased our new home. With the good, comes...
Need advice for bathroom decor
Towel colors? Artwork? Going for beachy zen. Should...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
What is a good furniture layout, where does tv go, & mantle help.
This 1958 ranch has been evolving from mid century...
Do I keep or replace these bar stools?
Going a bit more rustic in my design. Not sure that...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...