POLL: What project phase are you on?
August 18, 2014 in Polls
Whether you are just in the dreaming phase or are mid construction, Houzzers usually have some kind of home project in mind. How about you?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Dreaming - Collecting ideas and thinking about possibilities
Planning - We are solidifying our plans and narrowing our ideas
Hiring - Finding the right people to work with and signing contracts
Construction - Working with our team on our home!
Final Details - Just finishing up and tying up any loose ends
Enjoying the Results - We're finished! (Until next time.)
Jacob Roig
Loving the look but seems like this would suit me best on one floor. Thinking about the future on that one!
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 18, 2014 at 11:54AM
HI -- We have been working on our house since ... wait for it .... since 1987 . Money and time is short and no help and life gets in the way . Not excuses , just reasons ! I don't think this house will ever truly be done , at least not really the way I would like it to be . Some of the projects have caught up to us aging and making things difficult . Working on the landscaping more this summer and might finish , at least one side with a new fence and so on . Son is now doing that for us . Anyway they say ...." Designers homes are never done" .
11 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 18, 2014 at 1:57PM
Working with our builder redoing a home built in the '70's. Typical of this kind of project, one thing leads to another and we have just about gutted it. It is a well-built home, so when we are finished, we can move into our down-size which will be just about brand new.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 18, 2014 at 2:03PM
togetherbydesign
We too are in the middle of a downsizing remodel.
Lots of only studs in rooms...no cabinets...plumbing...flooring...lighting BUT have our plans in order...measurements taken...items ordered...all our ducks are in a row...NOW LETS HOPE IT ALL GOES WELL!
It should we've done this many times and really have great experience with our contractor.
Houzz is a fabulous resource.
I make idea books for clients...now for my husband, myself and contractor.
THANKS HOUZZ you are a wonderful tool!!!
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 18, 2014 at 3:51PM
bungalowmo
I'm in the middle of scraping 98 years of paint from my porch railings. I'm doing it myself, so I needed an "other" option!
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 18, 2014 at 4:02PM
jn3344
Signing the contract tonight, hopefully!
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 18, 2014 at 4:13PM
skagitnana
New house, and hopefully the last one at least until they cart us off to The Home....they finally hung drywall this week so we can see how the rooms will be. Siding coming tomorrow. Hope to occupy mid October. The fascinating thing about this process is that after all the months of planning, each phase is still a surprise in some way, either the light, how things line up, little details and serendipities we hadn't thought about... Thankfully our builders are wonderful and so are their subs.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 18, 2014 at 4:35PM
krootje
We are just waiting and waiting and waiting for the approval from the County for our severance application! Holy cow, how hard can it be??? Its been more than 9 months now, we heard by email that its approved but still nothing in writing. In the meantime we did find ourself a contractor, got the drawings allmost finished but still waiting for the approval... :(
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 18, 2014 at 5:26PM
Charles Neal Interiors
We are currently in the process of purchasing a new home that we love and are excited for the next journey!
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 18, 2014 at 6:22PM
skagitnana
Krootje: nine months, my word, you have my sympathies. Our building permit took nine weeks (simple plan, well known builders, no engineering, in a developed plat...) and I can only imagine what they were doing all that time. But nine months...you could make a whole human being in that time ; )
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 18, 2014 at 6:33PM
makaloco
I'm just finishing up an extensive remodel of two rooms and painting of those and two others. Not doing the work myself but running around buying paint and lights and fans and floor tiles and stuff.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 18, 2014 at 6:43PM
Studio M Interior Design
We're on the hunt for a new family home so we're definitely in the planning category! :)
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 18, 2014 at 8:49PM
adivra
Finished the kitchen and ready to do the master bath. The it'll be the things no one sees and/or appreciates, like HVAC and windows.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 18, 2014 at 8:55PM
summilux
We're sorta done with our kitchen update. Still need to refinish the floors. However, they are contiguous to 6-700 sq. ft of additional hardwoods. Further factor are two rooms that need (and it is a need as opposed to a want) carpet replacement. Thus belonging to the Church of the Perpetual Remodel, major floor refinishing along with replacing the carpets with hardwoods is in the near future. Thanks to Craigslist, I found the hardwood needed for this carpet replacement today. Between DW, an assist from the seller's son and an exhausting day, we have the hardwood needed (and much more).
6 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 18, 2014 at 9:21PM
adivra
O my!
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 18, 2014 at 9:40PM
bungalowmo
Good for you summilux! Reclaimed rocks!!! :0)
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 19, 2014 at 9:41AM
janh13
I am in the dreaming, planning and construction stages. Just ordered countertops for kitchen, dreaming and planning for the bathroom. Need to see some re-models of master bath with big stained glass window over the tub converted to walk in shower.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 5:21AM
fbrennen
We are in the estimating/hiring phase for a major renovation in my home. It is quite surprising how even the most recommended contractors have no sense of business etiquette. We shared our architect's plans with 5 contractors for an estimate, carefully explaining to each one we are short on time because we must make an October variance meeting (and papers need to be filed at least 6 weeks in advance). After 3 weeks, out of the five, only three have provided estimates, the other two (who, incidentally, were the most highly recommended) won't return phone calls. Glad now we cast a wide net when looking for contractors, and we have learned a valuable lesson that 'highly recommended' means next to nothing.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 6:04AM
sliplips
@ Skagitnana
" But nine months...you could make a whole human being in that time ; )"

You have to remember - THAT's just the "construction" phase. It's planning, design and 'finding the contractor' that seems so time consuming! :-)

(And the Skagit is beautiful. Hope you enjoy your new house and that it takes advantage of the beauty. Tulips??)
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 8:41AM
sartarehare
Walk-out basement family room. Forever worried about doing anything that will lead to a moisture problem. Starting work in about a month.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 9:39AM
diyer59
Details, details, details! I have those to finish up. Can't wait to do it...going to throw a party to celebrate when the little things that drive me crazy are finally all done.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 10:33AM
skagitnana
@sliplips you are so right! We are up on a foothill above the valley, just love the area and all it produces.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 12:19PM
ntscheuller
Working on exterior landscaping and redecorating our living area and dining nook. Using pros for both projects
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 1:05PM
greenyogini
I always seem to be in more than one phase - different phases for different projects all going on at once! ;) (I know it's a bad idea to tackle them that way, but I get overzealous...! ;) )
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 1:56PM
Mary Elizabeth
We bought this home 3 years ago, and DH just finished the 4th of 5 bathrooms. (Originally there were 6, but we combined a half with the original master to make a larger master!) Only one more bathroom to go! It's going to be about 9 x 15, done in a "locker room style",
and is located on the walk out level - beach side!
Many other projects going on at the same time, but so great to be on the LAST bathroom!
We are loving the progress!
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 2:50PM
suzyad
Finally found an architect (OK) that answered the phone AND emails!!! Yeah! Wasn't easy here. --- :)
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 20, 2014 at 10:42PM
junnie99
We just completed a master bedroom and bath remodel plus addition. It took four months to construct and a month for permits! Couldn't be happier!!!!!
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 21, 2014 at 10:15PM
zeebee
Working. GC started first week of December and, fingers crossed, we'll be at substantial completion in a month or six weeks.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 22, 2014 at 5:53AM
dmhafner
We are in the process of a slow build, hubby is in the construction business, we are lucky to be able to do most of the work ourselves and for the parts we cannot do he knows subs so we do not need to go through the process of finding a general contractor or subs. On the down side when you are in construction your own house is the last on the list as paying jobs must come first. This is our third build, the first two were done to get in as quickly and cheaply as possible, this time I am enjoying being able to take more time and get things exactly how we want them. And loving this site to fuel my ideas :)
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 22, 2014 at 7:45PM
armygirl1987
I need to remove popcorn ceiling from both bedroom and living room and have a schedule date of the last weekend in August.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 22, 2014 at 7:54PM
I'm on phase 6 after 12 years, the last real put up some new walls and replace fixtures sort of construction. After this, it is only the out front / courtyard / curb appeal work remaining. And repainting sort of maintenance ... .
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 22, 2014 at 8:27PM
luckylyn5
Bought our house in Spring 2013 with a list - had the most important remodel items (kitchen and bath) done immediately and a year later, we are still enjoying the results.

Now we are dreaming / planning the rest of the list. Re-doing the backyard will likely be next (hoping to have it done in time to enjoy next summer), so that project is in the early planning stages.

The rest are in the dreaming stage. Replace dining room windows with French doors for more light and easier access to side patio. Replace all the old sliding doors (3 sets of aluminum sliders that don't work well) in the family room. Close off Dutch door from family room to side patio so that it is a solid wall. Remove ceiling in master and create vaulted ceiling to attic, which will also allow us to raise floor in master so that it is the same level as living room (currently it is a step down). The list goes on and on :)
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 23, 2014 at 8:45AM
brchbell
We are dreaming and did the initial bid process but the estimate was much higher than we ever dreamed it would be. We are now dreaming of ways to break it into smaller sections to get it done over a few years. But as winter approaches we'll just have to dream a while longer.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 26, 2014 at 6:14AM
ccboat
Just signed a contract for the smaller master bathroom remodel. Start next week. Meanwhile moving into the guest room . Still have to buy mirror and med cab. Want to see the vanity in place before I decide.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 26, 2014 at 8:21AM
reillyg
Just finishing up our kitchen remodel - actually downsized, but opened up the flow. Window treatments are all we have left to do, oh and also trying to figure out the source of horrible smell coming from cabinet under sink! New sink, dishwasher and garbage disposal - yet smells BAD, haven't figured it out yet- thinking it may be the insulation on stainless steel sink.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 26, 2014 at 2:44PM
ptowncook
I think the epitaph on my tombstone should read: "It was all maintenance." Unfortunately, if I actually followed through on the motto, I wouldn't be in the mess I find myself. Started painting the keeping room in this 250 year old house in the winter. It's about 30' x 15'. I am down to one wall that is filled with bookcases. And because I'm not a planner and am impetuous, I decided I'd do the walls and hire a painter to do the ceiling. My kitchen cabinets, which were quite lovely when I moved in, are literally falling apart. I think the previous owner built them. I can't close any of the doors and the facings are falling off of the drawers. Any woodworker who has a desire to live in a 3,000 sq. ft antique home can barter with me. I'm a good cook. And I don't even want to talk about the gorgeous and now deteriorating gardens!!!
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 26, 2014 at 3:21PM
dmcclinton
I pay cash for my renovations and DIY everything but electric and plumbing. I would have to check "all" in the survey since my house is forever a "work in progress". My next projects will be large ones like a rooftop deck and an addition. Saving for these huge renovations is far more rewarding than getting loans. I work hard to make my home fabulous, so it makes me more savvy about what I spend and expect.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 26, 2014 at 11:22PM
Lisa Hays
Hubby is a very skilled carpenter with a very bad back. We're taking one room at a time. When I can convince him, we hire outside help. He's very detail oriented and I think talented. Living and dining room are complete, bedroom to master closet complete, spare bedrooms almost complete (need baseboard and closet doors, and master shower done. Still to go - enlarge master bath, gut 2nd bath, kitchen, and den.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 27, 2014 at 1:34AM
chefdecuisine
I'm repainting all of the main living areas in our house white. Then, I'd like to have the kitchen cabinets painted a soft grey. Any suggestions on how to paint kitchen cabinets? We can take the doors off and have them sprayed, but what about the ends and moulding details that stay attached?
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 27, 2014 at 3:52AM
Jannette Green
I built the house of my dreams in 2007. Last year I finally picked out interior colors and had the entire house painted. My dining room, family room and kitchen already had hardwood so this year I installed hardwood flooring in my hallways and closets that connected those rooms. My next project is to install an inground pool. I interviewed pool companies and decided which one I would utilize. Pool, deck and fence is scheduled for April 2015 with additional landscaping to be done as funds permit. That should do it me for a while.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 27, 2014 at 4:59AM
ceokarens
Moved into a new spec home 1 1/2 yrs ago. Perfect fit for my parents to live with us...no stairs into the house and none in their living space with a HUGE master suite and onsuite and walk in closet. Would have prefered a small apartment like space but this is good for them...for all of us. WE put in a pool with a ramp and railing for their ease of entry...and quite honestly, my grandchildren, my guest, husband and I like it too! WE started small and added to the pool imagining what it would be like with 10 adults....at the very least. Wish we went bigger. Next, we added a screened in porch with automatic screens ( a must have) and added large spans of open space, a three sided fireplace so you can see from each end of pool and inside the porch....we should have gone larger! I want to build an elongated three car garage first section will be an art studio, middle section open breezeway with strorage area for gardening tools to the back and the third area for a wood shop / larger vehicle parking if needed. I am building with myself and the next buyer in mind ( at least I am going to try to anticipate how someone else might value that space. I want to redesign my new kitchen into a kitchen I would like using the same cabinetry ...I would like to move the island with drawers on only one out to the open wall which would also help with the ability to have a full refrigerator and a full subzero freezer side by side. The counter is too narrow to actually use comfortably with bar style chairs and believe that could have been designed to be more functional. I would have opened up the one wall between the dining and kitchen area, still leaving a distinction but also giving a bit more opportunity for conversation to the more formal area. And why do they insist microwaves should be high up above the stove? Bad design in my opinion. Anyone want to send me some design ideas to post for advertisement...that would be great.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 27, 2014 at 5:58AM
Janet
I spent 3 years in the dreaming (and banging my head against the wall) stage. I bought my house in 2011, a custom home built in 1978. It has great bones but is dated (imagine lots of 70s green). I tried to start remodeling as soon as I moved in but kept running into roadblocks - too busy with my job, then no job, architects who weren't responsive, a contractor who bailed on me the week they were supposed to start the job, you get the picture. A few months ago, i decided to scale down my scope and just update the master bedroom. I have two courtyards in the back of my house - one is home to my vegetable garden, the other is surrounded by an 8-foot wall and very private. I added windows so I could keep an eye on my vegetable garden and french doors so I could open the master to the outside. Then I knocked out a wall of my closet and incorporated an unused outside storage area into the space. The glass block windows allow natural light so I only use electricity at night. I moved the closet entrance from the bedroom to the bathroom, so it's more accessible when I'm getting ready. We started 8 weeks ago, in one more week I can move back into my space!
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 27, 2014 at 6:06AM
Karen
Most people on Houzz are "dreamers." No surprise there... : )
0 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 6:33AM
valpalm
Just finished signing final papers for new kitchen cabinets and counter top. Project should be completed by the end of October 2014. Next project spring 2015 front yard to be redone. It is never ending. val
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 27, 2014 at 6:44AM
D. Glen Jackson
In the planning stage on several projects that are to be wedged in after the 40' x 60' building is built. Plans include a 40 by 12 studio in the building. Bathroom, kitchen/studio and expanding sleeping area.

Then have plans for new floors in house, Rip out carpet in master, Trash linoleum in kitchen then put down floating floors as replacements.

Then plans include building a second pond on the place (7 acres) with a "dock/treehouse" utilizing some of the trees as they are (in place) for the pilings under the dock. Dock will include an open cabana area for lounging and sleeping on warm evenings. Still working on the treehouse ideas.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 27, 2014 at 7:23AM
kitem1
Kitchen remodel currently underway! Demo, plumbing and electric all finished. Drywall next.
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 27, 2014 at 9:29AM
life4real
I have spent long enough to drive me crazy! banging head against the wall fits perfectly! kitchen, dining, and great room are one so coordinating is my challenge. And where to start?!? kitchen cabinet? paint color? even picking a paint is nuts! With 1000s of whites alone, say nothing about tans, greens, greys, beige, I just keep going in circles! I am someone who is particular, but usually happy with what I finally select for a long time. I keep telling myself to enjoy the process. Painting seems easy, but with vaulted ceilings, etc. I want to pay to have this done and don't want to go changing it soon. Maybe I should start with my Laundry room!!!!
0 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 27, 2014 at 9:41AM
cljakl
We did a major remodel last year and didn't do this area...I thought it wouldn't matter. It is visible from the great room, and just doesn't go with what was done. Now having matching cabinet and drawers installed. We also didn't have shelves put on this wall in the library, but it looks unbalanced so having shelves installed. I thought we were done....maybe after these are done.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 27, 2014 at 9:57AM
rachweav
Just finished a screened, roofed back porch addition. The finished product greatly exceeded our expectations. We used "My Houzz" for ideas including a fireplace and a blue ceiling. We would love to send pics for you to see and appreciate the finished product. Just tell me how. :Sandra Hausner "E" mail address is: johnandsandy@earthlink.net
0 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 2:00PM
betd
We are in the state of "Perpetual Doing", we have live in our home for 40 years, two roof, new siding, windows, doors, upgraded kitchen, room addition, new appliances (over the years), changing a den room into another more inviting living space and now another upgrade to the kitchen which we hope will be done before the holidays. It seems it never ends, when one up grade is done, it is time to move on to another.
1 Like   August 27, 2014 at 2:35PM
Dona Dinkler
We are having a new house designed by an architect--a 5 month process--who is now putting together the construction documents for a competitive bid solicitation for selecting a contractor. This process for picking a contractor means we have to make all design decisions upfront and get corresponding written quotes. It's stressful and downright overwhelming. Faucets, insulation, HVAC, sinks, lighting, appliances, floors, windows, etc. My head is spinning!
2 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 5:31PM
Jannette Green
@Donna Dinker-I'm sure you're gonna love your house when it gets completed. When I built my dream house I didn't hire an architect-sure I couldn't afford it even though it didn't cross my mind. What I did do however was pour over house plans then purchased the one I wanted and had a builder build it for me. I did make every detailed decision, windows, fixtures, doors, cabinet and cabinet pulls - you get the picture. When it was all done I was thrilled with the finished product. Be sure to post pictures when it's done!
2 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 5:59PM
elharar
We bought in 2001 and it's been non-stop renovations ever since. I've tackled 4 bathrooms, a kitchen, a roof, a large shed which could be a small house, a back yard deck and decided to gut the whole basement last year and redo all the plumbing, HVAC, electrical and redesigned the whole basement. In 2004, my husband started working in construction and i graduated from Interior Design in 2006 simply to better renovate and design our home. We are currently working with our first contractor ever, and redoing our 7,000 sq.ft. front yard and driveway. Wow it's great to see artists at work. I designed my front yard and they brought it to life. To their project, my husband and I are adding a very large front porch to add the driveway, new grass and landscape. It's never ends, but after 13 years straight of renovating, I'm finally proud to call this my home. It's modern, the materials are well thought out and all our design decisions have contributed to giving value to this property!
0 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 6:05PM
sylvestercat
My husband and I bought a fixer on December 4 2012 With a separate lot that had an eye sore single wide to be removed. . On December 5 2012 my husband died.
After the memorial I picked up a crowbar and started beating the stair case out of the living room to open up the kitchen to the living area. . . The house is almost done, and I am now putting a used double wide on the lot where the old single was. It is a nice floor plan, and I hope to buy flooring for it over labor day when the sales are running. I hope to have it rented in two months. The rent should pay the mortgage on both houses. . . The project has kept me busy, and now I have to except my husband is never coming home, or find another project.
1 Like   August 28, 2014 at 8:35AM
meiniac
Enjoying the fruits of last summer's remodel: second floor bath, and bedroom reconfiguration, new paint and carpet upstairs, then new mud room and media room on first floor (small but cosy), and new basement laundry room. Six months of dust, etc. I have put off doing some finishing work til now: painting trim in basement, wallpapering mud room. Been dreaming of new decorating touches for the bedroom. This is definitely the fun stage. Last summer was a MESS.
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 8:44AM
alabamagal
Have just finished a total remodel of the master bathroom and it is so gorgeous! I cannot figure how to post photos though...HELP!
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 9:47AM
Dona Dinkler
Hi again. I am a novice at computer issues, but for those of you trying to post a picture, try these steps:

1. Download a photo onto your computer, IPad, or whatever.
2. Open the Houzz app or go to the Website and make your way to the discussion you want to join.
3. Select the "add comment" function; it's at the top right of my IPad screen.
4. Select "attach a photo" and choose "from the library."
5. Find the photo you want to share and click it.
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 10:41AM
Temi Oduba
Construction is well underway and I am trying not to have a small aneurism as a result of party wall awards!!!
1 Like   August 28, 2014 at 12:34PM
lenoraanna
We built a Shelter-Kit (Shelter-Kit.com) house & barn, about 5 years ago. The barn 1st so that our daughter's wedding could be on our new property, on a hill, in Vermont. Throughout these 5 years, we've put in a wonderful 30' x 30' x 4' raised bed, with two enterances each 4' wide. Inside this huge square I have 5 seperate 4' x 4' raised beds. Fun! The landscaping has been a pleasure, over time & finally this year the property is beginning to look established & beautiful. Today I did a project I've stared at, seen in my mind's eye what would look good & finally exicuted !!! With my $9.95 red prunning saw I cut down 7 trees at the far edge of our back lawn & opened up a spectacular view ! It took hours…my husband & his chainsaw could have done the same project in a matter of minutes. Sometimes a gal just can't wait !
2 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 5:25PM
marsia
We have one level mostly done and are living in that while planning the rest. We have to save up and do a little at a time, and it is really hard to plan because we always run into a ton of surprises that we didn't expect.
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 9:20PM
cicionline
I had just started to work with an architect on plans to 'seniorize' my 160 year old house, when there was a sewage (just grey water, but still) backup. The grey water flood turned the back hall, lavette, cellar, and part of the kitchen into a biohazard disaster area. After months of deconstruction, mold remediation, and asbestos abatement, the repairs have finally begun in the basement. I had a waterproofing system installed in May and now 3/4 of the space is being rebuilt down to the fieldstone walls. When it's finished it will be a studio/workshop with built-ins for my sewing machine and fabric collection, a space for weaving, storage for my yarns and art supplies, along with a drafting table, craft table and lots more storage. There's a laundry fireplace down there, so the plan is to covert it to natural gas and create a seating area with a sectional sofa. I can't wait! It will almost make up for months of post-backup hell!
Meanwhile, my architect, Stephen Greenleaf, came up with a great design for the kitchen extension, laundry room, and bath that I want to add to the back of the house.
I already know what I want the kitchen to look like. I'm going for white Shaker style cabinets, Kohler iron cobalt farm and bar sinks (which I bought a few months ago when I figured out that Kohler was discontinuing its cobalt sinks). Now, I'm very seriously considering splurging on a French blue 71" LaCanche dual fuel stove.
I've been working with a kitchen designer to figure out how to get the most storage and create the best work triangle, while waiting to go before Zoning on 9/10 to ask for a set back variance.
With a new bath with walk in shower, a convenient laundry room, a new kitchen with breakfast room, a lavette converted back to its original use as a pantry, and a chair lift in the back stairway, the house should accommodate an aging occupant(s) for years to come.
Which is good because I'm not planning on moving out until I'm carried out feet first!
2 Likes   August 29, 2014 at 12:33AM
GN Builders L.L.C
Complete home renovation and two story addition in the back. Just put a new roof on and installed all the windows, HVAC work should start after this weekend.
It was a complete demolition done inside, the entire roof was completely off, from 3 small bedrooms and one bath, the house will not have 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, etc.
Here is a few pictures, will post updated ones later.
1 Like   August 29, 2014 at 4:18AM
1oldfarmgirl
My old farmhouse is an ongoing project, I've been at it for almost 30 years now, time to sell to some other energetic person with vision.
2 Likes   August 29, 2014 at 3:57PM
grizzly
Almost done (for now) with whole house face lift / remodel. I spent the summer doing more canoeing than building. Now I will be starting new steps and stoop to front door. This door is seldom used so this project is small and simple. After that ? perhaps a new garage door next summer.
2 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 1:46AM
jillybeansisme
@life4real check out the Deerfield brand at KitchenResourcesDirect.com They were so nice that I am putting them in my new kitchen. I got the cabinets with roll out trays because the only thing I did not like was the half shelves. They have the soft close Blum hardware, solid cherry or maple, plywood boxes, dovetails and they go on sale at least 2 weeks every month.

I hope to be in my new house in mid-December. Yeah!
1 Like   August 30, 2014 at 5:27PM
kahenson
We are in the construction stage of building our "Forever Home" with Greg Garside of Gregory Allen Homes, Omaha NE. Love our builder!
Right now I am stumped at the master shower...I want subway tile however, I'm shocked at the price of this simple & timeless piece of ceramic!
Anyway it's exciting!
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 5:10PM
Cusano Construction Company Inc.
Yes Subway tile is easily minimum of $6-7 SQFT. I get shocked myself.
0 Likes   September 2, 2014 at 2:00AM
summilux
Update on an earlier comment. First photo is getting the boards home. Second is clearing out the rooms, much to our and the cat's dismay. Third is boards are installed; much to my surprise, I was able to get the vast majority to fit w/o gaps, but height was up to 3/32nds off. The last is after the finishers got done with sanding and applying Rubio Monocoat
2 Likes   September 2, 2014 at 8:48PM
cljakl
Summilax - LOVE your floor! It is beautiful.

For those redoing kitchens I recommend drawers instead of cabinets. We did a mix, and had I known how much I would like drawers, there would be way less cabinets!
4 Likes   September 3, 2014 at 7:02AM
summilux
@ cljaki- thanks! I agree with your recommendation. We used drawers in our new cabinets wherever it was feasible as DW complained of not being able to access stuff at the back. Where we left doors we put in pull out shelves.
1 Like   September 3, 2014 at 7:37AM
Happylaughs (Holly)
Building our home.......we poured concrete last November. Starting drywall on Monday. Hoping to be in by Christmas :). We are at the very busy decision making stage.
1 Like   September 6, 2014 at 8:49AM
Cusano Construction Company Inc.
@Holly. Beautiful Home. Love to see interior finishes when complete
1 Like   September 7, 2014 at 6:44AM
Cusano Construction Company Inc.
We finished this Barn influenced home in June
1 Like   September 7, 2014 at 6:49AM
Cusano Construction Company Inc.
@Holly, love the Deco Cable Truss
1 Like   September 7, 2014 at 6:51AM
sfskies
Photo shows the remains of the giant concrete-topped island that separated my expansive galley kitchen from the great room (living/dining) after remediation was completed following major water damage from major roof leaks. I returned from 2 weeks at a conference and research trip, collapsed into bed and found water everywhere when I awoke. There had been heavy rains while I was away, with the topper the night I returned.

The roof has been replaced. I have chosen a contractor and have spoken with his cabinetmaker whose estimate will be used in negotiations between the insurance adjuster and the contractor. Insurance covers the cost of replacement of damaged or demolished structures and features with same or similar construction. That leaves lots of possibilities for upgrades as long as we stay within the budget.

This is obviously an unplanned project and NOT recommended. I have already done some maintenance projects this year and have other ongoing projects.

This is also an opportunity to purge stuff that I no longer need, want, etc.
0 Likes   September 7, 2014 at 10:43AM
officialeboni
We are in the construction stage of our first 'home'! (buildingournvhome.blogspot.com)
0 Likes   September 10, 2014 at 6:35AM
Multiple Phased Project - One
Client needed to phase project multiple times for several...
POLL: What one room would you add to your home?
If you had the space and the funds to do it any way...
POLL: Are you a project procrastinator?
How many of you intend to start a project, but never...
What's one home renovation project you'd like to complete?
If money were no object, what's one home renovation...
Saying Goodbye to Sentimental Objects
I read the article on the ten steps to saying goodbye...
Arranging books by colour?
Who does it? I can't imagine my books organized randomly...
Accent Chairs and Wall Decor
I just bought the accent chairs next to the fireplace,...
Carpet vs. wood floor in bedrooms?
Do buyers prefer carpet or wood floors in the bedroom?...
Need suggestions for color hardwood floors for business office?
I am moving my buiness into new offices but have to...