Can't figure out how to furnish my long/narrow living-dining space!
doloresrubymauve
My living and dining space is a very long and quite narrow open room with the living at one end, the dining at the other end and then an open space with a fireplace on one side and a sliding glass door on the other side. The middle space in front of the fireplace is especially difficult. Any suggestions on how to set up this long room (especially the middle area) would be awesome!
framelady
Two small club chairs alike place them close in front of fireplace with a round larger table between chairs. Your traffic would go by the doors
August 18, 2014 at 12:21PM      Thanked by doloresrubymauve
Maureen
It's a shame you really aren't enjoying your firepalce when you are relaxing or dining and your space is being wasted as you mentioned. Could you move your dining table to being in front of the firepalce? I would then add more bar stools (as you'll now have more space for them) and set up a little conversation area where the dining table used to be with a small "dining" table under the light fixture and two chairs. Comfy spot for tête-à-tête dining and having discussions with those in kitchen. Otherwise, you could set this seating up in front of fireplace, using a smaller table instead.
]
Teresa D.
I think that if you position the loveseat facing away from the dining table and adding a console table behind it, it would look great. See the sample pic below for an idea:
August 18, 2014 at 12:24PM      Thanked by doloresrubymauve
doloresrubymauve
I'm loving these suggestions, many thanks! A lot of traffic goes through the middle of the room by the fire place...Maureen, do you think that the dining table would be awkward there with all the traffic? I've definitely considered this placement.

Teresa – would the loveseat still be in the TV/living area, but just facing toward the back wall vs facing the TV?
August 18, 2014 at 12:31PM   
Teresa D.
Oh I see...I just realized that the TV was back there! I actually think Maureen's idea is great...it would definitely the dining area very classy. Can you post a picture of what the other side of this room looks like (meaning, a picture of the dining area)
August 18, 2014 at 12:39PM   
doloresrubymauve
You can kind of see the dining area in the 2nd photo I attached. The kitchen is on the right, separated by a counter, and the dining area on the left.
August 18, 2014 at 12:44PM   
doloresrubymauve
I should also mention that you can walk all the way around the fireplace, in the photos it looks like it is on a wall. By walking around the side that is near the living space you get to the front door. The kitchen entrance and a bathroom is on the other side.
August 18, 2014 at 12:56PM   
Maureen
You could trying moving the table to see how it works (or not). Rather than placing dead centre width wise, perhaps try it closer to back wall - so walk way through room would be clear across in front of the fireplace. Hopefully the exit side of the sliding door is closer to the living area and table wouldn't hamper that walkway to outside and since you have two entryways into your room, that may help as well.
August 18, 2014 at 1:00PM   
interiordesignme
what do you think about that? :
- here you have the chair's back facing the fireplace, with a nice rug under it, that might work.
you could also get a recliner and ottoman in front of the fireplace, with a rug and a floorlamp to make this one aera- this way youll have a good traffic flow going from the tv aera to the dining table
August 18, 2014 at 1:19PM   
doloresrubymauve
I never considered chairs facing away from the fireplace, that might be interesting!
August 18, 2014 at 1:23PM   
interiordesignme
or something like that?:
- like a game table in front of the fireplace...
August 18, 2014 at 1:26PM   
interiordesignme
plus, it seems like you need a bit more colour, you've got a lot of brown, i think ur throw pillows are grey if i'm not mistaken, you should have something more colourful like blue and green, perhaps: Interior Design and Decorating
orange's also a very nice contrast as accent: Rowzee Residence - Living Room
or pink: Living Room, endless varieties ... :)
August 18, 2014 at 1:31PM   
doloresrubymauve
Completely AGREE we need color! The browns are killing me. Thinking about a grey couch to replace the brown and then throw some great color in with pillows and a rug, somewhere. We just had our first baby so this area also needs to be more kid friendly (color and places that she can play on the floor)
August 18, 2014 at 1:34PM   
interiordesignme
Congratulations!
something like that could work: IMG_9014.JPG
or grey with dark purple:
Modern Home In The Middle Of St. John's
August 18, 2014 at 3:36PM   
Maureen
If the brown couches are still in good shape, perhaps just adding colorful pillows will do the trick. Brown is so easy with young children and is still in style. Other idea now that you mentioned you have a young baby, would be to make the entire area when dining table was (if you do decide to move to middle of room) into a play area. Congratulions on your new baby!
]
August 19, 2014 at 8:16AM   
need help with a long-narrow living/dining area
i will be moving into an apartment with a long-narrow...
Can't figure out how to arrange my living room
Hi, We are moving to a new place and, I simply...
We can't figure out how to furnish our new greatroom
We just finished our retirement home. We decided we...
My living/dining room furniture is an eclectic mix, but my style isn't
I've been trying to figure out how to decorate this...
Toning Down Crazy Tile
We are moving into our new home soon and trying to...
Need help of how to decorate with this bedding for my 10 yr olds bedro
Hi! I am having trouble coming up with coordinating...
Need Help with Kitchen Design
We are remodeling the kitchen & adjacent living room(eventually...
What wall colour will suit grey tile floor
I am looking a wall colour around my kitchen and the...