Shabby chic bedroom - wallpaper or no?
rabes87
Hi all. I'm new to this site and I'm really looking forward to getting some advice.

My husband and I purchased a house and the first thing we are fixing up is the master bedroom. Our bedroom furniture, accessories, etc. are all hues of off-white with a shabby chic theme. Originally I was planning on painting the walls a shade of off-white, however I found this toile wallpaper (from Toiles de Jouy 2 - Pastoral Toile) and fell in love. Should I wallpaper the entire room or just one wall (behind the bed) to prevent overkill? Also, if I do wallpaper only one wall, should I paint the other walls the light, background color of the wallpaper or match the darker shade (I'm assuming the prior)?

I apologize in advance if these questions seem silly. This is my first time where I've been able to make decorating decisions and any advice would be very much appreciated!
hayleydaniels
Don't apologize. Your questions are perfectly reasonable.

If this was my house, I'd wallpaper the wall behind the headboard, and paint the other walls the tannish gold color.

You're going to want to get a good match of the paint color so get all the paint swatches in that color range you can, cut them apart if there are a bunch on a card and lay them on top of a large piece of the wallpaper. Those that are clearly not a match pick up. Now you're left with those that are a potential match. Examine each one closely to make sure the colors are the same. When you have it narrowed down to 2 or 3, buy samples of paint along with some poster boards or small pieces of sheet rock used in wall repair. Paint them, and compare them to the wallpaper. Make sure you do this is different light--low, medium and bright light to make sure you like how it looks. I just went through this figuring out the right color for a multi-colored floor, and it came out very nicely!
1 Like   August 19, 2014 at 10:39AM
Nancy Walton
I agree with Hayley. If you go with a cream your room will look like a hospital room. The color will be just enough, and you can use a couple of colored throw pillows, but no more than that for color.
1 Like   August 19, 2014 at 10:48AM
jhayesdesigner
I agree with Hayley and Nancy....But I have one question for you....Are you planning on being in this home for a good many years ? If so, get what you love and run with it. If you think there is any chance you would have to put your house on the market in the next ...say...5 years, I would think twice about putting wallpaper up. Wallpaper is notoriously difficult to remove and everyone has different tastes. When I was shopping for a house, I rejected any home that was wallpapered because I didnt want the messy and laborious task of having to remove the wallpaper and painting the walls before moving in. Sorry to be a wet blanket but I a "says what I feel".
0 Likes   August 19, 2014 at 12:06PM
Nancy Walton
The newer wall paper today is not that difficult to remove, just make sure you look for some that says "dry strippable."
1 Like   August 19, 2014 at 5:46PM
I love wallpaper. it is expensive, but can give rooms a special feel. I also love toile. Were it my room I would paper the entire room and paint the ceiling something like BM AF constellation.
2 Likes   August 19, 2014 at 5:54PM
mcbmd3
I have a similar toile on my bed. I love it, but less is more so do the wall behind your headboard and paint the rest, as mentioned above.
1 Like   August 19, 2014 at 6:52PM
Mary Dillon
I vote strongly in favor of what hayleydaniels said, especially about painting the rest to match the darker color in your wallpaper. That will provide plenty of welcome contrast to your other cream/white furniture and make the wallpapered wall really stand out.
0 Likes   October 15, 2014 at 7:43AM
POLL: Shabby Chic - Yes or No?
How do you feel about Shabby Chic style? Is it a big...
Mix mirrored furniture w white shabby chic furn in bedroom?
Would this look good? Anyone have pictures of an example,...
theperrys08
small shabby chic bedroom - tiny guest room off parlour - visible
have busy blue and white quilt - white dresser - brass...
Janice Ford_Spencer
Shabby chic bedroom
Ok, I just finished painting our guest bed room. I...
Janelle
Would a cream shade of paint for wood floor be good for a shabby chic bedroom
I'm redoing a guest bedroom in shabby chic/beachy colors...
judhar
Suggested paint color for attic studio
Converting a large attic into a art studio and could...
eca1
Help with this bathroom please!
I just put the rock up on the wall as an accent to...
erica320
Benjamin Moore Gray Owl Light Blue?
I'm having trouble getting a consistent color using...
keako
Help my Bathroom!!!
My log cabin guest bathroom is really boring. I want...
cabinretreater43
Garage flooring
Is it worth doing your concrete garage floor with epoxy...
freethrow