Kitchen Island help
decorfashion
The kitchen has dark brown cupboards, granite counters and stainless steel appliances. My problem is that the counter space is chopped up giving me only about 3.5' in one stretch. There is quite a large area in the middle and an island would certainly help give me the added space needed. I want to be able to take the island with me if I move, (this villa is leased, we are just moving in and will decide if we want to stay in another year). In order to make the island movable and a piece that will go with most any kitchen cabinet design, what type of wood and top should I use, I do not want to invest in granite for the top as I am not sure how long it will be used. Something functional and compliments the existing and possible future kitchen would be great, I think 4' - 6' will be the size that will work. Any ideas?
Patricia Colwell
I can't really tell from the picture but it does not look to me like you have enough room for an island moveable or otherwise. You will need a minimum of 8' from the front of the sink to the front of the stove to have a 2' wide island and i think it will make this kitchen very awkward to work in and I would not even bother
    Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 5:49AM
decorfashion
There is a minimum of 8' - 9' space between the stove and sink, it is much larger than it looks in the picture, so am comfortable putting an island in. Really looking to see what type of wood and counter top would work with these cupboards
    Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 5:58AM
nikkinarf
You could have a custom island made. If you make it portable if will be easy to move it to one side if you are cooking out of the way or even close to the main counters for prep work. And with custom made items like this you can add any handy extras you prefer e.g. dish close rails - cutting board slots. I would with a contrasting colours. As in these images.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 6:12AM
decorfashion
What about a light colored wood with a top of butcher block or a solid color of some sort. The granite is black, grey and beige mix so I need something that won't clash, any ideas on that?
    Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 9:26AM
nikkinarf
I won't worry about clashing.... With all the neutral colours in the kitchen you could really bring in a bright colour with this. Even materials don't need to be limited. Options are endless. With a painted finish you could always paint it another colour to change things up a bit. Stainless steel would also work. see attached examples. :)
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 1:40AM
decorfashion
Thank you for the info, I think I can move ahead now. I like that old dresser resurfaced for an island, I will save that one for a future time. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 4:30AM
What size pendants over kitchen island? HELP!
I have an 8x4 island in my kitchen. I have chosen pendants...
ericaandphilip
Kitchen island help
Should the island cabinets and countertop match or...
stephi320
Country kitchen island help please!!!
Does anyone know where to buy (online or store) a kitchen...
natalierus15
kitchen island help
regarding the island that is near the table.....does...
villagepeople
Kitchen island help
I'm doing some redecorating of the kitchen/living room...
amscook
Need to find an accent color! What do you think?
Hello, we have just moved into a new house. The kitchen...
abrahammagwood
Spice rack inside pantry door
What should the depth/ width of a pantry door in mm...
shiprag75
How to seperate and decor rooms
I have this small place for a living room and for kitchen...
Eva Fakiolaki
Need Help for my Living room
I bought ashley platinum sofa set consist of 3+2+2...
pity30002000
Sitting room lighting
Hi, I'm looking for ideas for lighting for our sitting...
brynna2112