Living room design
Ana Stagnaro_Wendel
Hello All,

I am in the slow but enjoyable process of redesigning my living room. I'm on a budget and will do everything myself except one thing. I have inherited a sofa that I am having professionally upholstered in a medium grey fabric. I want it to look like RH's Churchill tufted sofa. (Picture attached)

I also want to add another bookcase to the left of the large window, paint them both white, and put crown molding across them to make a built-in look and a valance across the window. Do I need to tailor the curtains?

Where should I move the piano in order to get the symmetry in front of the window? I have the opportunity to get a smaller piano for free and place it under the small window where the crib and dog bed are. Is that too close to the armoire, which houses the electronics?

I want to put the table lamp in the place of the piano, and have a smaller brass swing arm floor lamp awaiting a new harp that will go on the other side of the sofa (same hight as the other lamp to replace the tall lamp in the corner.

What wall color, and rug color should I choose? thinking for the rug an indoor/outdoor jute looking rug because of dog and kids. What else can I do? Thanks so much!!
Ana Stagnaro_Wendel
Sofa inspiration.
    Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 2:28PM
Reupholstering is priced on fabric plus labor, and tufting is the most labor intensive of all upholstering jobs. It takes more fabric too. You would probably be better off to save up for a new sofa. Chesterfield style would work to get you the tufted look. If may even cost less than having your sofa made into something it isn't. As for arranging, place you new piano on the wall opposite the FP to serve as a counter balance to its volume. You really don't need another item that large on the same wall as the FP - it makes the room look lopsided. Pianos should never be placed on an outside wall or in a draft. Hang the mirror so it doesn't reflect the ceiling but doubles the piano and art pieces. It the art pieces have a footprint wider than 75% of the piano, place them closer together and they should be 5" above the piano top. Flank the FP with the two green chairs. Your bookcases will look nice flanking that window, but adding crown should be done to the ceiling, not as a span between the bookcases. Valances are dated and won't be an improvement. Consider installing bamboo shades from the big box hardward stores. That will add texture, privacy and can be open when you need. I think I'd keep the bookcases in the wood tone to work with the rest of your wood pieces. They just need to be styled with 1/3 books, 1/3 large decor items and 1/3 open space. For a pop of color you can use paint or wallpaper on a piece of luan or foam core cut to fit in the backs of the shelves.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 2:50PM
Ana Stagnaro_Wendel
Thank you, decoenthusiaste. lots to think about. I'll try moving the piano to that opposite wall. What about wall color and rug? Should I go with gray or taupe or light beige or something totally different? thanks.

And the reupholstery was quoted as $1000 less than the RH sofa!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 3:34PM
If you're thinking gray - everyone on Houzz loves Revere Pewter. Here are a pair of ideabooks to help you decide. Do the upholstery people guarantee your sofa will look like the one from RH? Here's a beauty for only a few hundred more!
Ideabook: Choosing Paint: How To Pick the Right Gray
Ideabook: Going Greige: Tips for Choosing This All-Around Neutral
Baxton Studio Sussex Dark Gray Linen Sofa
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ana Stagnaro_Wendel    August 19, 2014 at 5:17PM
Ana Stagnaro_Wendel
Well, I'm sure they can't guarantee that it will look EXACTLY like it, since the frame is essentially different. The line of the arm is the most different. But it will be similar enough. They are changing the foam on the back to mimic the smooth curve of the RH sofa. The good news is that I get to check in on them as they work and give my input as they go. And with all hard wood construction, I think the "little old lady sofa," as we have affectionately come to call it, is worthwhile saving. Thanks for sending me those idea books too; I love the idea of greige!!
    Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 5:31PM
You're welcome. We love to see pix of the results!
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 9:54AM
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I think you have been given alot to think about. I would use a different color than grey or greige but still a soft color in the same tonality as your grey sofa fabric a soft yellow or green or even a pale pink. You can then take this color onto the sofa with pillows as well as to your rug. it will look more inviting that way in my opiniion. In stying book cases I like the 60, 30, 10 rule of books, objects and open space. Look forward to seeing the finished room!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ana Stagnaro_Wendel    August 20, 2014 at 10:22AM
Ana Stagnaro_Wendel
Maison Pompeii, you've got me thinking. I have these curtains that I'm planning to use in the family room, kitchen/dinning area. But I can totally use them here in the living room instead. I love the colors and the look with the sofa fabric. The only reasons I'm hesitant are that it might seem less formal, and I would hate to throw out the silk curtains and have to get something else for the family room. But maybe I can bring similar colors in with the rug and throw pillows as you said? What do you all think?
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 1:20PM
abbyjean
Will you put the sofa fabric on the back of the couch, right beside the new curtain? I would love to see them a bit closer together, but I think you may be exactly right with this new plan!
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 1:37PM
Ana Stagnaro_Wendel
Does this help?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 2:00PM
abbyjean
Thank you! Very nice! Does it look as good in person??? And don't you love it when you have things in your home that can be used??!!
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 2:02PM
abbyjean
Yellows and grays and whites and blues.....favorites!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 2:03PM
Ana Stagnaro_Wendel
I think they do. You see I originally bought the curtain fabric to go with a new gray couch for the family room ( which I never ended up getting). When plans changed, I ended up trying to split the two. Maybe they shouldn't be separated...
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 2:05PM
abbyjean
Exactly.....meant to be.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 6:07PM
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Sorry to return to the thread so late but I am glad I got you going in a new direction. What wall color are you leaning towards?
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 11:42AM
Ana Stagnaro_Wendel
I honestly don't know what wall color I'm leaning toward. Maybe BM linen white, which I have in the rest of the house, and I know looks fabulous with the curtain panels. Or maybe a sea foam type blue...I just started the order for the sofa, so I'll decide on paint once it's in the room, in about five weeks.

We did move the piano to the wall opposite the fireplace. I'm still getting used to it--there's a lot of dark wood in this room! I think once I get a rug in here, it should soften and lighten things up. I'll put in updates as I go.

I'm also wondering if I don't have too many patterns mixed together with the patterned drapes (which I'm not committed to using in this room yet) and the geometric lamp shades AND the pillows on the cane chairs (which are the only thing saving me from taking the chairs out to the garage until I can upholster them too).

I'll send a photo of the new arrangement once I'm done feeding the baby :-)

By the way, I ran by Ethan Allen this morning before committing to the little old lady couch. Just because there was a sale, and I was freaking out about possibly throwing away a lot of money on one old sofa when I could get a new sofa and maybe a chair on sale. I told the sales person my whole story, and she encouraged me to reupholster! She said I had a great, unique piece that was worth the investment. It gave peace of mind at least.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 2:14PM
abbyjean
I bet the piano looks very nice moved to that other wall. Anxious to see new pics!
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 3:11PM
Ana Stagnaro_Wendel
So here's the updated room so far. I'm probably not going to make much more progress until the sofa comes. And now I'm not sure where to put the framed art work that used to be on the piano wall. It might look better elsewhere...thanks so much for all the advice so far. I'm feeling less lost about all the decision making :-)
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 4:15PM
abbyjean
It is not that I do not want you to sit and enjoy the baby, but I think you might also like the book shelf moved away from the window. I can hear the sighs right now, as look how full it is. I just think that back window would look sooooo nice opened up on the sides and the book shelf would offer height on the fireplace wall.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 4:39PM
abbyjean
Sorry, but also notice how everything you placed on the piano is all one height. It looks nicer when the height is varied. It would be nice if those pics could go on the book shelves along with the books all arranged so nicely.

Is the art that was there too wide to go over the piano? MAYBE they could be stacked on the wall by the window if the shelf moves? OR one could go over the piano and one on the wall opposite the window by the hutch?
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 4:41PM
Living Room Design
Challenge arranging and type of furniture for this...
jlloydbend
Living Room Design Help
We just purchase this house and the living room is...
ambermariecross
Need help with Living room design
Hi, I'm trying to figure out what type of windows treatment...
arora001
Need help with my living room design (accent chairs etc...)
I would appreciate any help with ideas on the following: 1-I...
africa13
help with colors and living room design
our new house that we will re-do before we move in..current...
creaume
Narrow Kitchen in need of help
Experts please help! We have so many ideas however,...
lizzygresh
What did I do! Need help
I just had new tile installed all though my house....
ontime21
Art gallery wall help! (:
So I've decided I am going to paint my room a grey...
candr_art_designs
Help with kitchen rug and drapes to coordinate with family room
You were all so kind to help me with my family room,...
nikkiwit
Help me choose some nursery details
Our first baby, a boy, will be here in April! The biggest...
bonnieanneryan