Help with this drum shade please!!

lorishopaholicAugust 20, 2014
I bought a drum shade to cover up the chandelier in our breakfast nook but I am not sure how to cover the ugliness when you look up under it. I would love suggestions. I originally thought swagging some crystals underneath might work but now I'm not so sure. Should I make a light diffuser panel for the underneath to cover that up? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!
lorishopaholic
Here is a before of the light so you can see what I am working with.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 7:26AM
greenyogini
What a clever fix! I think it looks great. :)

The one thing that bothers me is that the second photo makes it seem as if the shade isn't centered on the old fixture, but maybe it's just the angle of the photo. If it's not centered, I would do that first. ;)

If you want to do something fun with a swag effect, why not get some inexpensive beaded costume jewelry (maybe black beads?) and drape it so that it hangs below the shade? Something like this:

Allure Chandelier/Ceiling Mount · More Info

Or try a Google search for DIY beaded chandelier. Can't wait to see what you come up with! Great work! :)
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 9:31AM
4f Lighting
You don't say if you need it to be temporary. Are you renting? If not, painting the metal parts a light color would make it less obtrusive, but if you could do that then you could replace it with an simple, inexpensive pendant that would fix the entire problem. You can probably even find a kit that would work with the shade you bought. And if you are renting, you could swap out the chandelier and stick it in storage until you need to put it back up.

BTW: Good decision to cover that up. Those kinds of fixtures are loathsome.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 9:46AM
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I think your solution thus far is good but if this is a permanent place then I would remove the entire fixture and get an in expensive one till you can find/afford what you want. I think that unless you are very professional you are might have a rigged look and draw attention to it rather than away from it. Even if you are renting I think you could change out the chandy for some thing you like and then just put it back when you move out. An easy fix.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 10:05AM
lorishopaholic
Thank for the advice. It is our home but, I just thought I would try to save some money with this fix. The ceiling is about 18 ft. In this area so hiring someone to switch out the light will probably be expensive plus the cost of the new light itself. After reading the comments I am thinking I should just spend the money and change out the fixture. Any light suggestions? In my second post picture you can see our kitchen island which I will need to change that lighting as well. I would love any ideas you might have. Thanks!
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 10:40AM
Whispar Design
I think a drum fixture works - perhaps something similar to these (drum over the table and (2) mini-pendaliers over the island?) The mercury glass accents in these are a nice touch.
HGTV Veronica Semi-Flush / Pendant · More Info
HGTV Veronica Pendant Lighting · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by lorishopaholic    August 20, 2014 at 11:04AM
lorishopaholic
I love those! I don't believe the drum light is large enough for the are over my table. The chandelier currently there is a 5 light and about 24 tall by 20 wide. I did find a matching 5 light chandelier in this collection that might work.
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 12:20PM
Whispar Design
This one? :)
HGTV Veronica Chandelier · More Info
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 12:27PM
lorishopaholic
Yes that is the one. Wondering if this would look good and should I use a pair of the pendants with the shades over the island or stick with the 3 light chandys?
    Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 12:50PM
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
glad to see you are going to go with a new fixture. You will be happier in the long run.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 11:50AM
Whispar Design
Personally I like the pendaliers without the shades for the island. I just think it fits with the space better. Two of the shaded fixtures may look a bit heavy. How long is the island?
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 2:18PM
Angela
Why dont you just take off the chandelier?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 2:49PM
Need HELP with Dining Room!!
I need to change my dining room!! Have never quite...
marym0113
Critique My Master Layout!
I’ve been struggling mightily with how to arrange...
jrs11
Kitchen Light
I need an overhead light for my kitchen that isn't...
rhodaarnes
Dining Room
What's the best type/shape of dining room table for...
littledog5
Door trim
ALMOST done with my basement. Doors are in. I wanted...
Karin Zeitvogel
Sponsored Products
Manchon Low Voltage Pendant (Freejack)
LBC Lighting
Baby Quasar Plus
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Hampton Bay Outdoor Lighting. Outdoor Solar LED High-Output Lights (4-Pack)
$49.97 | Home Depot
Blue Gracie Area Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Ingo Maurer | Johnny B. Good Pendant Light
$660.00 | YLighting
Stainless Steel Bar Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Gama Sonic Posts Victorian 2-Head Outdoor Black Solar Lamp Post GS-94D-B
Home Depot
Momeni New Wave NW-22 3'6" x 5'6" Plum Rug
$249.00 | PlushRugs