furniture arranging in living room help!

Carissa JoslynAugust 20, 2014
I moved into this apartment in November, and I've tried a few different placements for my furniture but I can't find one that actually makes it look good.

I've added a few images a few are ones I made up of my living room because i wasn't able to get a picture good enough so you could see the issues I'm having. But, keep in mind measurements aren't exact. my son broke my tape measure, so i had to use a ruler.. so they may be a bit off.
The left hand side has two entrances, one from the kitchen and one from the hall way RIGHT next to it. directly across the living room there is a door to the outside, and also on the right side there is a double window.

I would like ideas on where to place my current furniture, and also ideas on what else I could get to make it a little better area. Right now it's basically just my children's play area, which I love my kids but I want a more homeyer looking place.

Thanks for any help!
flair lighting
create a play style area right off the kitchen it will be good to keep an eye on them, then refocus the living room to the other half. the kids will still be able to see the tv while they play too. is that the front door?
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 11:15AM
abbyjean
Yes, is the suggestion flair gave you a possibility?
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 11:22AM
abbyjean
What is right across from the stairway?
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 11:23AM
Carissa Joslyn
That door across from the kitchen in the living room is the back door. The front door is near the dining room. There is just a wall in front of the stairs.

On the right, that's the stairs. Pic is taken from the living room
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 11:43AM
flair lighting
also the tv is too high up on the wall, needs to be about 12 inches of the shelves. a bolder curtain rod and more full curtains. but we can work on that stuff once the furniture moved around. add a shelving unit to the back wall and put in a small kids table for now, once they grow create a second seating reading area with the a few. exhange the black case for the white one, it sits taller, so maybe you wont have to move the tv down, and it will create some contrast. then put the black one behind the sofa as a console/storage.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 11:49AM
flair lighting
where are you standing in the first picture? that is the only space not pictured
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 11:51AM
Carissa Joslyn
I'm not even allowed to my my TV on the wall, but i saved up two years (I'm a single mom) for a TV and my son knocked it over and shattered it..so this one was going on the wall. lol

For the first picture I was standing in the entry way to the kitchen (right next to the couch)

I also moved my living room around again last night because it was annoying me, so this is what it looks like atm.
I used to have a area rug, but my apartment flooded and it had to be thrown out.

Also, super sorry about the mess. kids throw their toys everywhere.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 12:07PM
Carissa Joslyn
btw I love the pictures you did! My moms boyfriend is a carpenter, so he could make me something nice to fit there, and save me a lot of money, but he doesn't like me much.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 12:12PM
Put the kid's play area and the white cubby for their stuff in your dining area. Move the dining table where your sofa and coffee table are. Pull the sofa and coffee forward so the back of the sofa is to the dining space. Angle the chair, one side table and lamp on the wall opposite the window. Lower the TV, remove all the artwork and the shelf and take photos so we can reorganize your hanging items to appropriate heights and get them to fit with the new arrangement.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 12:32PM
flair lighting
honestly this is the only way it works, other than having the sofa that far away from the tv. for now just move the furniture, like above, and place the black cubby behind the couch as a console. is that the front door to the left in the second picture? if so, it would make a great area for a cuby for coats and hats and a place to sit and store items///
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 12:58PM
abbyjean
I think you will be very happy with this new arrangement, not only with the way it looks, but with the way it WORKS for you. I know it will take some time to move all of this, but gosh, we sure like seeing after pics and then, like deco said, it can be taken to the next level then, too.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 1:01PM
Carissa Joslyn
i just put it the way it is right now because it was irritating me the way it was before. ill have to wait until i can find someone to help me with my TV before i can move that.

but ill def share pictures once I get it all set up. and will need help with the walls and decor. i basically threw stuff up so my kids wouldn't break them. They break everything.

and that's my back door, that's in the living room.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 1:17PM
It will be a good move to have the play area away from the back door, and you won't have to stumble over the coffee table with an armload of groceries. You can just step in and put them on the table, get the kiddos sorted out, and then come back to the table to offload to the kitchen.
    Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 4:38PM
Carissa Joslyn
My front door is off of my dining room, only time I go in and out of my back door is if we are playing outside in the back yard.

this is what i go so far. super hard moving this stuff with no help. so it's not all the way done yet.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 2:35PM
I know you're moving it all by yourself, but I think the dark credenza meets the requirement of being 25% wider than the TV so I'd prefer it under the wall mounted set. Against the sofa it just makes for too much visual bulk. Do you have a set of "Moving Men" or sliders. Try cutting the bottoms off of gallon milk or juice jugs to help you slide things around. Put the white cubbies on the wall in the play area where they'll take up less visual space.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 6:40PM
abbyjean
Thanks for saying that deco, as I was thinking it, too. The white shelves might look nice under the shelf that is already on that back wall. It just seems made for toys and the other can be part of the grown up side. And how nice to have a side table and lamp already to go for the chair by the tv. That is YOUR place after all this moving!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 6:56PM
Carissa Joslyn
i don't think i have to work out for a week after all this
5 Likes    Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 5:54AM
Now it is coming together. Can you manage a second cubby like that one so you can get more stuff off the floor?
    Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 6:58AM
Carissa Joslyn
I can see if I can find one on craiglist or something, or save up for one eventually. I'm going to go through there toys today and donate ones they out grew so hopefully they'll have more room in their rooms for some of the ones downstairs.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 7:49AM
abbyjean
Yes, it is totally coming together! It is always a good feeling to go through the toys and let them help, saying they are for other kids that need them.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 8:16AM
Carissa Joslyn
They are pretty generous for little boys, we live off of very very little. So they are very understanding. I have a few toys that are rather expensive that they don't play with, I might be able to sell to get some extra money for another organizer.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 8:21AM
abbyjean
Worth it to try craigslist. People love shopping on there and I would bet toys sell quickly. Must make you so proud to know what fine young men you are raising!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 8:27AM
Carissa Joslyn
Hope they stay that way ;) My oldest has minor brain damage from strokes (he's 4) so I can't work right now, our only income is selling stuff we no longer need. I am just trying hard to make my place look nice, we've moved a lot and lost everything I owned a few times in moves..i don't want it to look like I'm dirt poor. ha ha
    Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 8:52AM
flair lighting
i really liked the black shelf behind the sofa like a console, but i do see what they mean. maybe we can lower the tv a smidgen? can we try the white shelf behind the sofa? im excited for you its looking great!!! or like suggested two of the white cubbyholes to take up the wall...
    Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 10:32AM
flair lighting
save for new curtains.....
    Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 10:33AM
abbyjean
Hugs for you, Carissa. You are doing a wonderful job as a mother and a keeper of the house. Such a lot on your shoulders. Do you belong to any sort of support group? There must be places that can help you out right now.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 10:34AM
quercus2
The changes you've made are a big improvement.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 10:46AM
Carissa Joslyn
What kind of curtains should I be on the look out for? My birthday is in a few days, maybe i can see if someone will go halfs with me, or something.

and no I'm in no group or anything. I know the state is perstering me to get on Tanf and child support, but no amount of money is worth risking my kids lives, and their dads are safe and don't trust them at all. so i just avoid that all together. the state don't care about that part of it, and they know their dangerous. one of their dads is in prison right now in another state.
    Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 7:57AM
abbyjean
Thank goodness your kids have YOU!

I cannot tell from the pics....do you have shades or blinds on the windows at all? Or just the drape panels on the ends?
    Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 8:11AM
The less of a paper trail your kids have, the better. Chin up! Are you in a worship group that walks out the command to provide for widows and orphans - I think you and the kids qualify as such in today's society. And don't let a church send you to a government source - if they're really what they claim to be, they will help you themselves and not push you onto the national teat!
    Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 8:12AM
Carissa Joslyn
I have mini blinds, but one is broken so if i want them open i just opened them all the way. i have told the maintenance man about it since i moved here, multiple times but they don't have anything that fits the windows. mines the newest apartment here because it burnt down a few years ago but i guess they rushed it so its not perfect. my bedroom door doesn't even shut.. lol

and yea i try not to be on any help unless i need it. I live in housing now- but the place where I was before was a one bedroom, no yard, wasn't safe to be outside. my door to the outside had a crack in it a inch wide so people outside could see it. I'm not proud to live in housing, BUT it's soo soo much better then out last place, and so much safer. and I get food stamps for now, but other then that, we don't get any money money. I'm pretty thrifty and we are doing really well for our circumstances :)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 8:18AM
flair lighting
i like the curtains you do have, maybe you can just get some inexpensive shears to fill it in a bit. or go to a fabric store and look through there bits.... you can do a no sow project by buying an set or curtain rings with clips on them to hold the fabric. http://www.architectureartdesigns.com/20-budget-friendly-no-sew-diy-curtains-ideas/
    Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 11:19AM
Carissa Joslyn
Good, because I like mine and they cost a lot. I'll check out some shears or something from the link! thank you so much for helping me, it means a lot
1 Like    Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 4:37AM
abbyjean
Your current curtains are very pretty....light and fresh. Hmmm.....wonder if they would feel more a part of that space if the rug was not there. Is the carpet under it ok? Maybe that rug could move back to the play area??? Then it would not fight with the curtains.

Is it your birthday? Happy Birthday, if it is???
    Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 5:31AM
abbyjean
The little black pieces by the tv look ok, but I am not sure about the 4 pics scattered around the wall. Want to take them down and try another pic?
    Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 5:34AM
Carissa Joslyn
My birthday is Monday :D ill try to take a pictures in a few.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 6:56AM
flair lighting
put the carpet in the play area? i do area about the carpet bit, not sure how it will look with out. can we take the phone off the wall and set it on the console?
    Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 11:19AM
Carissa Joslyn
.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 1:13PM
abbyjean
OH! I like this a LOT! It all seems to work together in this space for you now.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 2:23PM
abbyjean
Does the floor lamp NEED to be in the corner? If it does and you use it there, ok. If not, we might want to try another place for it.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 2:24PM
Carissa Joslyn
no i dont even have light bulbs, baby keeps knocking it over and always broke the light bulbs cant afford to keep putting them in.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 2:28PM
abbyjean
Oh, that almost sounds dangerous, doesn't it. Baby might enjoy the space more without the lamp there....you, too!
    Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 3:12PM
Carissa Joslyn
he's two, and destroys everything. that's why i have all my stuff and phone on the wall, or else it'll get broken. even then stuff isn't safe.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 3:41PM
abbyjean
Sorry, this just reminds me of one of my FAVORITE stories.....

"The baby grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was two years old, and he ran all around the house. He pulled all the books off the shelves. He pulled all the food out of the refrigerator and he took his mother's watch and he flushed it down the toilet. Sometimes his mother would say, "This kid is driving me CRAZY!" But at night time, when that two-year old was asleep, she picked him up and rocked him back and roth, back and forth, back and forth. While she rocked him she sang:
I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living my baby you'll be."
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 6:31PM
Carissa Joslyn
My little boy is a monster :) He's destroyed my 47in TV, broke my very nice touch screen laptop, so now I'm on a friends. My oldest spilled water on this (my friends) laptop.. oi. Good thing I don't own a cell phone, or i'm sure that'd be ruined, too. haha But they're boys. id rather have boys then girls. :p
    Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 3:23AM
abbyjean
Happy Happy Birthday to you! I certainly hope you have had a wonderful day and have done some fun things with family and friends.
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 1:26PM
decorgirly
Happy Birthday! Your room is coming out great!
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 6:24PM
LEICHT New York / LEICHT Westchester
Another good option to consider is this modular wall system that can be matched to your kitchen or home decor. The shelves can be easily changed or moved around and there is space for tv wiring behind:
NYC Showroom · More Info

NYC Showroom · More Info

2013 Collection · More Info

2013 Collection · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 10:19PM
Carissa Joslyn
Thanks for the birthday wishes! I didn't do much, but my mom brought me some pizza, and my dad brought me a cake. Also got a charm for my bracelet, now i need a new bracelet, because my ex broke it a few yaars ago and its bent so i cant get my charm on it. lol :/
    Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 6:28AM
abbyjean
I love charm bracelets. Would you even have a necklace chain you could slip it on for now? Pizza and cake.....nuttin' better than that! So happy you had a good day!
    Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 6:50AM
Carissa Joslyn
very good idea! never thought of that! any other suggestions to make my living room better? I have been super busy, haven't had time to enjoy it. :p
1 Like    Bookmark   September 8, 2014 at 2:28PM
abbyjean
You go sit and enjoy it right now. I honestly think it looks GRRREAT!
    Bookmark   September 8, 2014 at 3:54PM
Carissa Joslyn
Also. A few months ago or so my apartment flooded upstairs and the whole downstairs was soaked, i live in housing now and I told them-they did nothing (i had was coming out of my outlets and light sockets & like 3 inches of water downstiars) well i hide my stuff under the couch so my kids don't get it. when i moved my couch around to where it is now, my tablet had mold all over it. so I'm worried about mold under my rug, but my landlordhousing dont care and tehy said where it's on a cement slab it wont mold.. but idk D:
    Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 7:00AM
abbyjean
Oh, mold is scary stuff and you and your kids do not want to be a part of it. You do need to check. Can someone help you so you do not have to do it alone?
    Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 7:42AM
Carissa Joslyn
I'm trying to fight for them to check, because if my tablet is going to mold..then something is wrong, imo at least. I dont' know much about flooring or anything. My moms boyfriend is a carpenter, but i don't want to get kicked out by taking something into my own hands. I really don't want mold around my kids. a neighbor has mold on her tile floors, and they just said it's black glue and haven't done anything for over a year to help her.
    Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 8:01AM
abbyjean
Someone needs to come in and check. Keep trying/bugging them. I am wondering if the Department of Health needs to inspect???
    Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 8:06AM
Need help with living room furniture & arrangement ideas.
We have just purchased an antique home - circa 1810!...
wendmill
Living Room & Family Room Into one room, how to arrange furniture?
We would like to knock down the wall between the formal...
jfrieds
Help arranging furniture in living room
Hi, I can't decide what's the best furniture arrangement...
Alex
Need help with living room furniture arrangement in long narrow room
We have played around with arranging furniture in the...
Kristin Gablehouse
Need help w/ open room - living room furniture arrangement and ideas f
Looking to replace all furniture in our small living...
Matthew Paugel
Paint colors- urgent help needed!
On Monday, painters are coming to do our entire apartment....
domesticimpostor
white railing or stained railing for stairs?
Hi, I'm getting my stairs done and I need to decide...
ceemimi
Help with rug placement with sectional
Just bought this sectional for den. Instead of meeting...
eniel
Save 60's blue tile or not?
Hi, I'm Chase and new here. I'm remodeling the main...
Chase Leibold
Covered patio area
What are all the services I need in a new barbeque...
Siobhan Cassidy