Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie_tyler

Exterior paint colors for shop

Natalie Tyler
9 years ago
This is a large building, 1000sq feet is an apartment, the other half a shop. It's is a stones throw from the craftsman house we will build in the future. It's board and batten with two belly bands. I really want a barn red on the gables. The lower third I am stumped on. We've gone from taupe to dark brown, now I'm stuck on sage. Feeling like we can be adventurous with color. My other dilemma is what color for dormers and cupola which will only be seen when standing in front. Trim thinking buttery cream or a few shades lighter of body color. Any ideas??

Comments (14)

• PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Here is an idea -- the scale is a bit different :)

I like sage, olive and similar colors too.
    Natalie Tyler thanked PPF.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    I love Denita’s suggestion and ppf’s also. Here is another. Paint the windows red.
    vashon barn conversion · More Info
    Natalie Tyler thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    Color in Space Inc.
    9 years ago
    We have the specifcations for exterior color design for sale on our website. We love the idea of red on the dormers and board and batten sections! You could then use the darkest trim color in this photo for the base clapboard section and the lighter trim from the photo on all of the trim. Remember, photos do not accurately portray color--especially online--so consider that indeed this red is what one would consider barn red. The orange on the knee braces also reads MUCH brighter than it actually is. It was matched from the fir floor stain, so it is much more neutral. If you are interested in purchasing it off our website for the exact Benjamin Moore Paint colors, it is titled "Red Craftsman." http://colorinspace.com/exterior_color.php. Have fun!
    Natalie Tyler thanked Color in Space Inc.
  • PRO
    Color in Space Inc.
    9 years ago
    Oh, and of the back for the house...
  • Natalie Tyler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks so much for ideas. Have settled on sundried red sherwin williams for gables. Still confused about siding color. And should dormers be red like gables or siding color? If they aren't red then from the front view will be one color. I like that dark dark brown someone showed but not sure what color it is. Your advice is appreciated !!
  • PRO
    Eskandari Stone
    9 years ago
    Brown or red exterior paint color will look great. Go for it.
    Natalie Tyler thanked Eskandari Stone
  • PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    9 years ago
    Grey with black trim.

Good luck:)
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    I did a house in SW Sundried Tomato recently -- great color.

Consider your future house when choosing colors for this one. The place Denita posted is one of my favorites and has good colors.

The dormers to me are poorly proportioned -- too tall and skinny, so I would paint them to blend with the roof to minimize their appearance.

As shown in my example above, consider a dark color for the lower lap siding, something lighter for the board and batten, and a third for the bands.

Use the red on the front door, and maybe the garage doors.
    Natalie Tyler thanked PPF.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    ?
  • Natalie Tyler
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sorry for not responding. Recovering from surgery, so in and out. Thank you so much for great ideas. I love that home Denita, wish I knew the dark paint color. ppf I like your colors, also. So if I paint the side gables red, would the dark go on the bottom siding, the lighter on the board and batten? What color for dormers and cupola? I really want to see the red when standing in front of the building. And who ever said the dormers were to skinny, yeah, major disappointment! I am used to them now though. I like the idea of a dark dark gray/brown, but what color to use with that? My husband wants creamy trim, again, the dark trim sounds better also. So confused!!
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    Consider your future house when choosing colors for this one. The place Denita posted is one of my favorites and has good colors.

The dormers to me are poorly proportioned -- too tall and skinny, so I would paint them to blend with the roof to minimize their appearance.

As shown in my example above, consider a dark color for the lower lap siding, something lighter for the board and batten, and a third for the bands.

Use the red on the front door, and maybe the garage doors.
  • rocketjcat
    9 years ago
    Just a thought on the tall dormers...maybe if you added a band around them about a third of the way up to mimic the rest of the structure? Then paint the lower portion to match the roof, and the upper to match the main body. They might look a little shorter. Just a thought.
  • Denita
    9 years ago
    What a great idea rocketjcat...a little illusion with paint colors to fix the proportions of the dormers will work wonders.

Below is an explanation of the paint colors for the inspiration pic I posted up thread. I went into the comment section of the pic to get this comment. I hope it helps you: (quote below)

"The red barnwood is Cabot Semi Transparent Baked Brick. This was applied to old, weathered wood, so applying the same color to new wood might result in a brighter color. It's always best to try a few samples first.

The dark grey paint color was a custom match to the metal roofing we used, so unfortunately there isn't a color name. The metal roofing color is "Burnished Slate" (a pretty universal color in metal roofing). You could probably get a roof sample from a local building supply and have the paint store match it."