Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenyogini

Beautiful - OR - Functional? Is there a happy medium?

greenyogini
9 years ago
So many lovely designs seem to work *against* function:

* chalkboards make a ton of chalk dust (and where is the eraser when you need one?)
* horizontally stacked books, topped with decorative items, are impossible to get to (especially the one on the bottom!)
* tufted ottomans rarely provide flat surfaces for beverages (thank goodness for trays!)
* open shelves create more things to dust (or wash, as with exposed kitchen plates/glasses)

What's your preference? Beauty over function, function over beauty...or have you found a way to compromise on both? How do you decide? Bring on the photos! :)

Shelter Island fisherman's cottage · More Info

Becky's Living Room Built-Ins · More Info

Old Westbury Neoclassical · More Info

Thunder Springs Kitchen · More Info
Other

Comments (8)

• PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    Unless you just like displaying eye candy, there is no reason why something functional shouldn't also be beautiful, even if it's what I call "simple" or "plain" beauty. I voted Other BTW.
    greenyogini thanked River Valley Cabinet Works
  • raish
    9 years ago
    with smart design,the and making sure you really like the plans before you start in buying furniture a room can be functional and beautiful
    greenyogini thanked raish
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I was going to say you can have both, but sometimes you fall in love with a piece that doesn't work very well. That happened to me with the Senufo bed. I had to have it. Coffee table, I thought. Well, it takes up half of my tiny living room and is too long for the couch. So now it's a bench in front of my fireplace and when company stays too long, I can lie down on it and they usually get the hint.
  • tira_misu
    9 years ago
    There are tons of beautiful and functionnal trends that I can pass on what's beautiful and disfunctional.
    greenyogini thanked tira_misu
  • PRO
    The New England Farm Table Co.
    9 years ago
    A farm table (and bench) is both beautiful and functional. And, the more it is used, the prettier it gets. The chairs, on the other hand, is where beauty/function may clash. But you can definitely have both!
    greenyogini thanked The New England Farm Table Co.
  • greenyogini
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Great comments, everyone! :)

I was thinking specifically about things like ghost chairs - *love* the way they look, not sure I'd want to sit in one for any stretch of time. (I had a similar experience while sofa shopping - the most beautiful sofas to my eye were also some of the least comfortable ones.) Same with the above mentioned: I'd love a chalkboard wall, but not the chalk dust, love the look of open shelves, can't imagine dusting (or washing!) all the dishes all the time, love the look of color-coordinated, horizontally stacked books, but the bibliophile in me wants to be able to actually *find* them (by topic, since I doubt I'll remember the color of the binding). I have stacked a few infrequently used books horizontally, but any reference books will be stacked vertically.

It's a personal preference (and a matter of individual habits of use) and I'm just curious about how others make decisions in the "fine line" territory that so many designs seem to straddle. In theory I agree that good design is both beautiful *and* functional, but I guess I tend to think that an uncomfortable chair isn't all that functional (really just an aesthetic prop - a lovely, delightful, and swoon-worthy prop), and that's just my opinion. I'm pretty squarely torn between the two on a regular basis, but I've noticed my tendency is to choose the more functional option for myself...and then just continue to pine for the more aesthetic one. ;)
  • greenyogini
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ...and probably unsurprisingly, I feel similarly about fashion. ;) I love a gorgeous pair of heels, but if I can't walk or stand in them without pain after only 5 minutes, ain't no way I'm wearing those puppies for more than a photo op!