Need help with my living room
drajuliana
We`ve just bought this house and have no idea how to place the furniture in the living room, which is large but with many separated ambients. Help me!
Maureen Costello
I don't know what is next to the black chairs? Is it another room with a burnt orange sofa? First I think the placement isn't awful--but you definately need accessories to complete the look.The rug probably needs to go--something like a 8 by 10 in a contemporary print and a large canvas art above the sofa. Start with the art and go from there. Add pillows, accessories on the table--even if it is a book that you place there. Accent pillows on the black chairs. A table runner that coordinates between the two rooms would help. And you will probably have to change the paint color in the white sofa room--you don't notice the nice molding as much and the sofas don't stand out--looks all white.
April 16, 2012 at 1:52PM   
Becky_Spencer Castle
Good idea, Maureen.
@drajuliana, I think Maureen's got some great ideas-- definitely right about the paint. You'd be surprised how much a bold color can add to the mood of a space. It looks like you've got sort of tuscan look going; I'd say a turquoise would be a pretty great hue for your new living room! And if you can find a low hutch/ dresser that you like, grab it! You can place it in your foyer, behind the couch. The dilemma isn't so much about rearranging the living room furniture, as it is about defining the empty foyer space, and tying it all together with some great paint colors! Good luck!
April 16, 2012 at 2:48PM   
drajuliana
Thank you for all the suggestions! I really appreciated. But you could forget this furniture. It isn`t mine. The living room was right this way when I got it, but now we`re gonna get some new. I will be totally starting from scratch on this room, so treat it as a blank slate!
April 16, 2012 at 5:51PM   
Lisa Ward
you should start with a graph paper grid. measure out the room as if you are viewing over head and place the furniture one square equals one feet. taking into consideration walk ways. don't forget yr lighting plan, ambient and task
April 17, 2012 at 6:07PM   
Maureen Costello
What stle are you gravitating towards??
April 18, 2012 at 11:07AM   
OasisDesign&Remodeling
How will you use this space - entertaining, TV, lounging, etc.??? I suspect that there's an echo in this room, so textiles will be important. Start with the area rug(s), & let that be your inspiration for the room. I too see LARGE Canvas artwork on that blank wall over the current sofa. Perhaps dramatic pendant lights on either side of the sofa over the end tables. The dining area also needs a great chandalier. Learn from these pics that the foyer needs a much heavier presence than the current glass & iron sofa table - a long chest would be a better choice. I'd like a better view of what's next to the window on the right...seems like a bookcase currently, which is a good choice to balance out the window. The window wall needs 2 chairs & an ottoman, light enough to pull into the conversation area...I see leather for these. It's also possible that these 2 chairs could be permanently a part of the conversation area & a heavy-ish sofa table with tall lamps under the window - it's hard to tell from this perspective. The sofa placement is fine as long as you don't need that wall for a TV. Just don't do a matching loveseat opposite of it - I would do a matching sofa (be careful of the lengths though)

In essence, it depends on how you want the room to "feel" & how you will use it. But, most importantly, start with the ground up by first selecting your area rugs & go from there for your color palette. And whatever you do with accessories, think LARGE ....no dinky stuff. And DEFINITELY consider a lighting plan for all these areas.
April 27, 2012 at 7:44AM   
Kelli Kaufer Designs
What is your style and the function of the space would help.
April 29, 2012 at 6:12PM   
Geezees, LLC
If you would like LARGE Canvas art work please check out my shop at http://geezees.com/ i would love to help you come up with something nice for your room.
September 5, 2012 at 7:38PM   
Updating a one-story, 1980s Florida house
We have a home with original, slightly better than...
need help for my blank wall! :-)
Hi wonderful houzzers..im here again to seek your advices...
I need help with my kitchen final touches!!
I am trying again with photos. Need suggestions for...
Help me modernize my southern charm
This is my fireplace as it sits half way painted. I...
Need help determining tile direction
We have a long, narrow room (8x20) that we are turning...