Choosing paint color for year-round sunroom
cyclerama
Seeking suggestions for paint colors for a sunroom, which faces south and gets quiet a bit of light. I am keeping the wood trim but replacing the blinds with Hunter Douglas Silhouette blinds in Table Linen. The tan sofa and vintage chairs with brown/earth tone print are staying in the room, and I will eventually replace the coffee table. I am having a breakfast nook put in in the corner by the kitchen pass through where the table is- an L shaped floating bench with rust colored vinyl and maple moulding and 2 chairs with a tan/ orange print (see swatches in photo) and an off-white pedestal table. The tile is cream colored. I have tried greens, tans, and beiges and can't seem to find the right color. Suggestions are greatly welcome! Thanks!
Shannon Ggem ASID
I'd love to see you go with something bold like Mediterranean Teal by Benjamin Moore.

I suspect the room can handle a color like that because of all the light, the teal it refers to the green out the window and the gray in the adjoining space, and frames that view up even more.

There isn't a lot of available wall, so it seems like a good space to put in a little punch. It would be particularly fantastic with those textiles. Keep us updated!

August 23, 2014 at 9:23AM        Thanked by cyclerama
cyclerama
Thanks Shannon, I like your suggestion about going with more color punch, I've been a little hesitant because it seems like a lot of people (including many designers here) lean to light colors for a sunroom. Since there is so much wood, I'd like to find a color that kind of blends with nature. Also, the kitchen is painted a grey blue (SW Lazy Gray) just one wall facing the pass though and opens to the dining room which is SW Lazy Gray/Morning Fog so I want to move away from blues for the sunroom and am thinking about a khaki green (C2 Sierra- see photo). I am a little nervous it is too dark and may not work with my tan/orange and brown/gray textiles. It does pick up a color in my 2 refurbished Knoll chairs (see photo) that will go with the rust colored bench and I will have 4 matching pillows I could move around the room.
August 23, 2014 at 10:21AM     
Shannon Ggem ASID
I am not responding to that particular green with that chair fabric, it's fairly yellow and the yellow will be made more prominent by a southern exposure.

Perhaps Roycroft Bottle Green by SW or Vert De Terre by Farrow and Ball if it has to be light. Or Farrow and Ball Blue green to help bridge the gap between the blues in the blue/gray rooms and the green out the window.

I should mention that you are not creating a typical white slipcover or traditional botanical prints kind of sun room, you have midcentury furnishings and tons of texture. It's very grounded.

All you have to do now is let the room itself be a big frame for what's out the windows!

Have fun and paint BIIIIGGGGGG samples! Also use the outfit test- if you wouldn't wear to colors in the same outfit, don't paint and furnish in those colors together. Good luck!
August 23, 2014 at 2:30PM        Thanked by cyclerama
Emily Heil for Ethan Allen, Wilmington, NC
I think the color of green you posted above looks nice--it will blend with nature, and it will look great with the wood trim. The green and rust contrast each other very well since they are on opposite ends of the color spectrum. It is definitely not too dark--there is so much natural sunlight in the room. If it is coming off too yellow, try to find a green that has slightly more blue in it--that will tone out some of the yellow, but still look nice with your other furnishings.
August 23, 2014 at 2:39PM        Thanked by cyclerama
ritasj
Since the room is so bright u could consider a darker bolder color( eg.green lilt the trees out side). ..a safe but good color is a pale golden yellow(Tuscan ) this will change with the light from brt and cheery to almost taupe in the evening
August 23, 2014 at 5:03PM        Thanked by cyclerama
bgfuqua
I would paint a beige close to the sofa color.
August 23, 2014 at 8:03PM        Thanked by cyclerama
HI -- I would like you to look at this color -- BM "Citrine " AF -370 you might like it .
August 23, 2014 at 10:17PM        Thanked by cyclerama
LB Interiors
Being a sunroom, to keep it cooler feeling, I would like a sea glass blue or green. Blues or greens will be fresh.
August 24, 2014 at 12:49AM        Thanked by cyclerama
leelee
I vote for the teal. It's a cool color that compliments all of your neutral shades/orange and it's interesting without being too bold.

The colors in the dining room are sort of dated esp with the blue two-tone look. Think about going green in that room--same color top and bottom. That would transition nicely to the teal in the sunroom.
August 24, 2014 at 7:02AM        Thanked by cyclerama
cyclerama
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I decided to go with the C2 Sierra, it is very similar to BM Timothy Straw, a bit greener. True, this is not a traditional sunroom in that it is our family room/ primary living and entertaining space. Lee lee, I don't disagree that the two toned grey/blue dining room looks kind of dated, but when we purchased our home, a 1940s colonial, just a year ago, it was the one room, plus one wall of the kitchen, that the previous owner painted right before showing it. The grey/blue actually looks great with the kitchen stone backsplash, I can totally see why the colors were chosen. Attached are some photos of the kitchen, in case anyone is interested. I think the stone- with blue, green, gold, and rust tones- will help bridge the two rooms. My next immediate design dilemma is finding a color to paint the half bath attached to the sunroom. Interestingly the tile is different from the rest of the sunroom - a blue/green/ gold. Not sure what color would offer a nice contrast to the Sierra, maybe I could try teal here or another more dramatic color? I have tried BM Desert Tan, a darker green, and some rust colors, but nothing seems quite right. Again, any and all suggestions are welcome! Thank you all so much!
August 24, 2014 at 7:17PM     
happyleg
I like sunrooms cheery, like blues, green, yellows, a pop of orange or red. I like a green/ yellow paint.
August 24, 2014 at 8:01PM        Thanked by cyclerama
Gretchen Maurer
first i love!! your chairs all of them! I like the brighter green and love the suggestion of pops of teal
August 24, 2014 at 8:18PM        Thanked by cyclerama
cyclerama
Here are photos of the half bath and tile, and the color I chose for the sunroom. The half bath is on the opposite side of the sunroom from the kitchen. I am trying to find a nice complementary color, suggestions welcome! Thank you!
August 25, 2014 at 4:06AM   
leelee
Green is great in your bath, too. One thing you should consider is removing those large 12 x 12 tiles from your sink area. I'd go a step further and remove the 4"backsplash as well. Those both ruin the look of the bath. Paint the walls in an oil-based enamel and you'll never need to worry about splashes.

If you feel that something is needed between the top of the sink and the wall, install a piece of bull-nose or pencil tile or just use extra caulking.
August 25, 2014 at 10:35AM        Thanked by cyclerama
cyclerama
Thanks leelee, that is a great suggestion about removing the backspashes, I hadn't even thought about it. It does make the bathroom look messy/ unfinished. I wonder how expensive it would be to have them removed/ new drywall installed. I was thinking about putting in a pretty gold starburst mirror, this one is much too big/ expensive/ ornate but something along this line, but simpler http://www.houzz.com/photos/bathroom-mirrors/%22starburst-mirror%22-gold

Replacing the sink/ cabinet aren't in my budget but I am going to replace the tissue and towel rack (which is now behind the door). As for wall colors I experimented with some samples and BM Adagio looks suprisingly good, if I want a blue/ green contrast. I'll have to test it against the new sunroom wall color. Thank you!
August 25, 2014 at 10:52AM   
August 25, 2014 at 11:24AM   
leelee
Don't get too ornate with the mirror. Your sink and cabinet can't support that. A simple mirror for now or one a little more ornate with the idea that the cabinet/sink/top will be replaced in the future.

Dry wall should not be too hard to fix--most any painter can do small drywall repairs. It's just routine for them. Fix it now--you won't be sorry.

You could also paint the cabinet and that would be a big update.
August 25, 2014 at 4:56PM        Thanked by cyclerama
cyclerama
Thanks leelee, very good point on keeping the mirror simple, maybe even a gold "bamboo" oval or rectangle would be nice. I am willing to paint the cabinet to give it an update. Per your suggestion, I had the backslash (which was actually floor tiles!) removed- big improvement! Here are some photos of the new paint in the sunroom, I really like it. I am also liking the idea of going with a blue/ teal for the half bath. I didn't realize blue and green are so complementary. Next I need to find a window treatment (the rest of the sunroom will have linen colored HD Silhouette blinds- too pricey and impractical for a bathroom.) Thanks again for the great suggestions, making progress!
August 25, 2014 at 6:21PM     
happyleg
That looks good with the brick. For window treatments, I would do bamboo shades. It brings the outside in & you can look out.
August 25, 2014 at 7:09PM        Thanked by cyclerama
leelee
Green sunroom looks great!! Roman shade for the window from blinds.com

Thanks for removing those floor tiles from your wall.

Keep posting pics of your progress.
August 26, 2014 at 9:58AM        Thanked by cyclerama
gettingmad
Love the 2 retro chairs
August 26, 2014 at 10:17AM      Thanked by cyclerama
cyclerama
Blinds are up! Walls have more of a gold/tan cast than green, now that more light filters in, but I like it. I think it will work well with the breakfast nook (rust, gold, orange toned fabrics) which will be installed next week. Next decisions are whether to paint the facing side of the kitchen the same grey-blue as the other wall in the kitchen (rather than leave it white) and a color for the powder room walls, which is at the opposite side of the sunroom. Thinking about a nice teal/ blue green that would work well with the multicolored tile and gold toned fixtures. Suggestions welcome, thank you!
August 27, 2014 at 10:51AM     
LB Interiors
I would use a gray tone in the bathroom to primarily include the tile colors.
August 27, 2014 at 11:23AM      Thanked by cyclerama
cyclerama
Thanks LB for that suggestion. For the bathroom window, I am considering a neutral toned roller shade, which picks up some of the colors in the tile (photo attached)- it lets light through but still gives privacy and doesn't "compete" with the other window treatments. I am willing to paint the cabinet, if that would help update the bath. Thanks!
August 27, 2014 at 12:00PM     
LB Interiors
You're welcome! The shade has a lot of brown tones. Is there brown in the tile? If you can't see brown in the tile from a distance from it, I would not use browns in the shade : ) The cabinet is golden. I don't see any browns.
August 27, 2014 at 12:08PM      Thanked by cyclerama
happyleg
Browns do go with golds!
August 27, 2014 at 10:22PM      Thanked by cyclerama
happyleg
I like your shades in SR, they filter light.
August 27, 2014 at 10:26PM      Thanked by cyclerama
LB Interiors
I would like to see you repeat colors in the bathroom. That will be the way the room coordinates. Design is about repetition of color, style, texture.
August 27, 2014 at 10:38PM      Thanked by cyclerama
cyclerama
Thanks now I get it. LB is suggesting a color along the lines of the kitchen and dining room. Yes I think that would look nice. To me they look more blue than grey (SW Morning Fog and Lazy Gray) and it would pick up colors in the bathroom tile. There aren't browns in the tile, but there are golds and grey.

Is it better to choose paint first or get the shade first? I think the shade I am looking at will look more gold when it filters sunlight and has flecks of blue in it. I am open to other shade suggestions. Photos of shade sample, tile and window/ room in proximity to sunroom window below. Thank you!
August 28, 2014 at 4:05AM   
LB Interiors
The bathroom is a separate room and does not have to have any of the colors from the other rooms. If needed, maybe iin accessories that work with the existing bathroom colors.
August 28, 2014 at 10:50AM      Thanked by cyclerama
LB Interiors
I would work from the tile for gathering your color choices in the bathroom.
August 28, 2014 at 10:51AM      Thanked by cyclerama
LB Interiors
I would not use brown. But yes, gray and gold from the tile and maybe another color as an accent that is from a different palette.

Or, more sophistication with staying in lights and darks of the colors currently in the bath. Smoother, gentle sophistication. By adding accents in richer tones of these colors, you can get a bit more drama to a somewhat monochromatic room. If that is your direction for sophisticated feeling.
August 28, 2014 at 10:54AM      Thanked by cyclerama
Please help me pick a exterior color for my log cabin!
I've had it for a year and I still have to figure out...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
need help for my living room
I need sipmle style to my living room
Difficult living room layout
I have a long and narrow living room with way too many...
Color palette ideas for living room
We recently painted our living room accent wall with...