New house being built- what kind of furniture?!
mcphetres7
Hello! My husband and I are getting a house built, the layout is very open and different from what we have now... The only thing we are changing is that the big window in the great room will be made in to two windows with a space between (we're thinking the tv should go there)... Anyway, what kind of setup should we have for our furniture? Should we get an L shaped couch, or one sofa love seat and recliner?! Any advice and help would be great :)
My first advice is to warn against sofa / loveseat combos - they really limit layout and two small scal matching chairs are almost always a better choice for seating more people comfortably. Here, the great room has no other light source or ventilation, and the window is already under a covered porch - so I have to say I think changing the larger window is a mistake unless you have skylights - the wall opposite the kitchen is a better choice for media and layout in an open concept like this. 15 x 15 isn't large enough for a sectional with all the doorways here. Suggest a sofa with console with its back to entry on the stair wall and a pair of chairs across at window / round coffee table. The club chairs could be recliners but sit forward of window so bedroom entry is a bit private.

Counter stools that swivel and have arms will help fill out seating when you have a crowd. Make sure your kitchen fixtures are upgraded and on dimmers so lights there don't ruin the living space. Splurge on beautiful dining room upholstery - for this scale space, that will be the corner you can add personality - a round table /pedestal that you can expand with leaves will help repeat and keep things at scale . . . Make sure your big window is a series of casements so you can get air flowing / cross ventilation with kitchen will help here too.
1 Like   August 23, 2014 at 2:23PM
mcphetres7
Thank you so much! This all makes perfect sense and opened mt eyes to a whole new design!
0 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 8:10PM
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
The public spaces in this design are dificult to furnish. If you are spending the money on building a new home and the money on new furniture--Why aren't you hiring a design professional for help.
0 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 8:18PM
mcphetres7
Well for one, I live in Casper Wyoming. We have one designer in our city, and two, I don't think I could afford it. But if you have any suggestions I am willing to take advice.

Thanks :)
0 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 8:24PM
mcphetres7
Would you suggest altering the floorplan to maximize space?
0 Likes   August 23, 2014 at 8:27PM
I have been to Casper and floated the river (still in college and went with a friend who worked there to visit his cousins/coworkers). It is a neat Wyoming town!

If it was my new house, and I could afford it, I would just enlarge the great room space to be at least 17' wide and at least 18' long . . widen the entry hallway a foot of that width, put the other space in width at the top of the stair /landing before it starts down. I would spread the length in the master and middle bedroom (add 1.5' to masters 13.5' space and the rest to the middle bedroom that is the smallest - increase the size of the vanity in the second bath - it isn't very functional if you have kids later or returning kids to live with).

12 - 14' is a great conversational area but here, that extra room means you can float some furniture so people can use the pathways built into the front and back of the room.

Here are some other ideas .. .

(I 'm assuming that because that stair goes down you have at least a half height wall / pony wall across the great room side of the stair). I would consider adding a trio of solartubes (for the insulation value they beat out the fixed bubble type skylight) lined up over the pony wall, so it shed light into the stair and into the back of the room during the day - you need all the natural light you can get in the great north winters. If you build them in from the beginning, there is very little chance of any leaks - some skylight in this space would make a big difference.

That extra 3' long by 2.5 wide (keep the outside and just grow what is planned) spread across several rooms will make this house a lot more liveable . . space gives you storage, even in entry spaces . . a bench won't fit in your entry now to sit down / take off boots .. you can do a sort of mudroom set up in the garage where you might enter the most, but you have to factor in real life in winter towns means you need a bit more storage for going outdoors near the exits . . widening the front hall might seem too fancy, but instead think of function - the guest closet in my house also holds my vacumn, winter coats and rain coats and spring coats for several . . a storage bench, and an entry console are very practical to be able to lay down mail, keys, and so forth when entering the house.

At the entry, a door with a sidelight / small single hung window beside it would let you get cross ventilation through the house in the summer to the great room, and let you see when a ride has arrived without them coming up. You might like a larger laundry space so you could do a proper mudroom and laundry combo there, and let this be more of a guest entry . . but they often have wet / cold / snowy things to shed too . .
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 8:53AM
new house being built
Building a house, need help picking colors
cindydauphin
New house being built
Moving into a new house and don't no where to begin...layout...
gava1225
If you were a piece of furniture, what kind would you be?
Tell us the piece of furniture that best describes...
Luke Buckle
New home owners need to know...what color should our first house be?!
We are open to anything. We live in a very established...
wich
Late in design phase - front of house needs help
The front of our house needs some help. We are late...
halfnews
Choosing a sofa color . . . .
I would like to have a sofa that I can 'dress' - put...
Mason Leskowitz
Should I do marble on the bottom of the floor?
This is master bedroom, the floor is hard wood, the...
sushigirl06
Something's off - Please help
Hi, my girlfriend and I live in this 1500 sq ft condo....
claventure
Please help me pair this throw pillow!
I am looking for a pair of pillows to go with this...
loveasunnybeachday