Adding kitchen storage/work space
dreed0
We just moved in and need more kitchen storage and work space. the area is 100" X 100". I'm considering an island with a couple of stools or built-in cabinets and traditional countertops. The bottoms of the windows are 35" from the floor, so that puts the new countertops slightly lower than standard height, I believe. It would be a great corner for a nook with built-in benches -- my first choice -- but wouldn't seem to solve my storage or work space needs very well. Any ideas?
hatetoshop
Will you need a table and seating in this area as well?
0 Likes   August 24, 2014 at 7:38AM
cbailie
We had a similar situation. Decided to go with the island for the storage it provided. We have seating for three at the island, plus I bought two small fold up stools for when we need extra seating. They go on the side. There are only two of us, so we don't really require a table since we have a separate dining room for that. I am so glad we did this! It makes my kitchen function so efficiently.

At the same time we had double pull out shelves installed in all lower cabinets, plus the island itself. What a difference!

My husband still says he doesn't see the need for the island, but trust me, it was well worth the cost.
1 Like   August 24, 2014 at 8:53AM
dreed0
Thanks for responding. No seating is necessary, just thought it would be nice. It's just two of us and I thought a 48" island would do the job. My husband and best friend both think it would be too crowded with an island.
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 1:55AM
J Petempich
I would go with an island and have outlets if it didn't cost too much.
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 2:45AM
jck910
Too small for an island. can you post a picture of the sink wall?
2 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 2:58AM
hayleydaniels
I agree it's way too small for an island. One thing you want to consider when installing things like islands is making sure you have enough room to maneuver around it with a wheelchair, or a gurney should you need to call 911 for a medical emergency.
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 3:03AM
Maybe just a roller cart that doubles as an island.
2 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 5:28AM
cbailie
You need 36 inches for your walkway. The back of my island does not provide that much, but then no one goes back there except to sit down. The other walkway is 36" which is enough, per the designer.

My husband thought it wouldn't fit either, but where there's a will....

That's why I hired a designer, to make sure those details were taken care of. I probably wouldn't have thought of it!

If you're having the island built, you can adjust the size of the cabinets so it works with the space you have.
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 1:56PM
J Petempich
I looked up the code in Michigan and it says 36" for counter to appliance or counter to wall, that is if I can believe the internet. Anyway, I would build something or have it built on locking wheels and use the corner as seating closer to the wall if I really wanted an island.
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 2:32PM
Mixing hardware metals in the same kitchen
I have dark mocha cabinets with an antiqued cream island....
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...
Horizontal or vertical stripes?
We are moving into a new (new to us) home. The painters...
Vented vs. vent-free gas fireplaces
Currently have both (albeit 6-14 yr. old models) and...