Second sink in island?
Lisa A
I would like to get away with just one sink but should I bite the bullet and put in a second bar sink for prep on the island?
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
Pantry can be part of kitchen design, does not have to be a seperate little room and you don't need a sink in your island.
1 Like   Thanked by Lisa A    August 24, 2014 at 3:05PM
Lisa A
the pantry is separate bc I'm thinking it will just be less expensive than cabinets (if I understand the gist of your comment). Where do you prep food? I'm looking into a trash chute for the island so I can throw veggie scraps and such into it while prepping.
   August 24, 2014 at 3:11PM
interiordesignme
depending on how much prep aera you need, you could get a small utility sink in the island area next to your freezer, you could get a round, or interesting shaped one to save some space : Dining room and new stair, Great details
but of course, you could also go without if u need more counterspace
   Thanked by Lisa A    August 24, 2014 at 3:11PM
interiordesignme
this is a trash chute built into the island- very practical - Innis Arden Kitchen, Wilsondale Project
   Thanked by Lisa A    August 24, 2014 at 3:13PM
Rebekah Lowe
I'm not a designer, but functionally, I love the idea of a small sink in an island. I love the idea of having two areas for prep or rinsing when preparing a large meal or several dishes at once. I guess it really depends on how much entertaining or cooking that you do on a daily basis.
   August 24, 2014 at 3:16PM
thebighouse169
You need outlets in the island more than you need a sink.
Just make sure your sink bowls are large enough to accommodate your largest roasting pan. Your second sink should probably go in the cabinet to the right of the freezer. Glasses in a cabinet above. Keeps folks from crossing your work triangle to get a drink or dump a half empty glass. Wine fridge below if you want to get really fancy.
Looks like a huge kitchen. Have fun!
1 Like   August 24, 2014 at 3:24PM
boundsgreener
Hi Lisa A - here's another thread that had the same question with a not completely dissimilar kitchen design to yours that might help. Loads of opinions here! http://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/1076761/Sink-in-Island-or-No-sink-in-island-#2643783

As for the trash chute for veggie scraps....have you thought about the pong? Unless it has a magic sliding sensor lid at the bottom and some kind of auto washing system or you clean the bin AND the chute every day (we all know how potato peelings love to cling to the sides of things), it will smell really bad. Not nice when you are sitting around on those lovely bar stools enjoying a glass of wine! If in doubt, experiment with a compost bin with no lid in the kitchen and you'll find out what I mean.
   August 24, 2014 at 3:27PM
sstarr
Pyramid Design Group is right. You should eliminate the walk-in pantry, and instead use full height storage units elsewhere.
This design feels crowded, although your room is large enough. The pantry is contributing to that problem, but other elements should also be rearranged IMO.
   August 24, 2014 at 3:34PM
marylise
I have a sink on my island where I do 99% of my prep work. I couldn't do without!
   August 24, 2014 at 3:42PM
Lisa A
this is nearly identical to my last kitchen and I did love the prep sink in the island. Functionally, it performed rather perfectly. I just dread the plumber's new bid with the additional sink in the island. But I don't think I'll care in a year having spent the extra money.
I'm going to keep the pantry, can't talk me out of that one ;)
thanks for comments.
   August 24, 2014 at 4:54PM
We need to replace a sink/vanity in our tiny second bathroom.
The small downstairs bath in our 1929 English Cottage...
Should i add a second sink vanity and loose a closet in MBath?
I've been told that it's a hassle to move the toilet...
Is there a second kitchen sink faucet and if so curious of purpose?
I would like to use a double low divide sink but would...
second kitchen sink
does anyone regret putting in the second sink, (bar...
How do I make my dining area flow with our formal living room?
Our formal living room is also our dining area. Bc...
Is 16" too narrow for a coffee table?
My living room measures a cozy 11.5' x 12.5'. I held...
need advice about color for trim in my living room
I think I'm going to paint my living and dining room...
Help furnish living room in new construction
I am general contractor and sister of homeowner in...
Stacked cupboards
Our new home will have 9' ceilings. We are putting...