Knobs, Pulls, or Both
Rebekah Lowe
I am refinishing a built-in vanity that has never had hardware and has 3 drawer faces (one is just a faux drawer in front of the sink area) and 3 doors. I can't tell what is trending right now and would really love some input on whether or not to use knobs or pulls. I've also seen some vanities that have a combo of both (pulls on drawers and knobs on doors). I've attached a photo of the vanity (obviously not refinished yet), but sadly I forgot to take a photo of it prior to removing the doors and drawers. The faux drawer in the middle should give you a clue how simple the doors & drawers are though. Thanks for any input.
hayleydaniels
Go with what you really like unless you're putting the house up for sale in the next year or so. I try not to worry about what's trending as I don't care what others like. I want my house to reflect my taste. And I'm not planning on selling in the near future either.
1 Like   August 24, 2014 at 3:14PM
mrwillie
I'm redoing a master bath and I've chosen knobs for the doors and drawer pulls for the drawers. In a smaller bath I decided on the same drawer pulls for everything.
0 Likes   August 24, 2014 at 3:15PM
Jana Schmidt
What will the style be after you add the mirror and lights? Also are you updating the faucet? I think it's too soon to choose hardware without those pieces. I think of hardware as jewelry, it's the final piece that pulls the look together. Since the mirror and light fixtures will be the first to draw the eye, everything else should be chosen to compliment those pieces.
0 Likes   August 24, 2014 at 3:15PM
Rebekah Lowe
We actually plan to put the house up for sale after all the improvements are complete, which is why I asked about trending. Since it is going up for sale, we did not replace the lighting, but DID replace the full-wall mirror with a framed mirror that is black/dark cherry-ish (close up of the colors is in the photo) . The vanity will be a dark cherry similar to what is in the frame when all is said and done.
0 Likes   August 24, 2014 at 3:27PM
Jana Schmidt
If it's for resale value - simple and sleek is best. Ornate will cost you more and you won't see a penny of difference in your net proceeds at the end of the day. Can you forgo them completely? If you want a little pop, you will get a better bang with an updated faucet.
2 Likes   August 24, 2014 at 4:00PM
quercus2
Yes, as Jana Schmidt said, leave off any handles or knobs. You'll save money, buyers won't notice, and there is no risk that it's a design buyers don't like.

The faucet looks old and dated. You can replace that pretty cheaply.
1 Like   August 24, 2014 at 4:21PM
hdyer
Buyers really don't notice missing hardware? I totally would! I assume you guys are in real estate and know what you're taking about, I'm just surprised that is the case. Huh. Who knew?
2 Likes   August 24, 2014 at 7:13PM
Rebekah Lowe
Thanks. We actually have a new faucet for it :) There is much in this house that is old & dated ;) Thanks for the advice.
0 Likes   August 24, 2014 at 7:43PM
Jana Schmidt
Hi Hdyer, Buyers might notice that there isn't hardware and a good agent will point it out. But it won't be a critical issue in their buying decision. An upgraded faucet will leave a stronger impression of an updated home, it's more obvious. When updating a home for immediate sale, it's always very tricky because you have to weigh what you want done versus what needs to be done. I recommend sellers look at new construction, because if a builder doesn't include it as "standard" it means most buyers won't pay more for it. Window screens, garage door openers, and cabinet hardware are just a few items builders often leave off the "standard" list when it comes to buying (or at least in my market of the greater Seattle area.) I hope that is helpful.
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 7:48AM
Dining room design - continued
Hey everyone! Happy holidays! You guys have been great...
immunigirl
Finalizing the master bedroom design... :)
Here's another good example of our interior design...
VANGUARD development
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
Bathroom style and color
Here are some bathroom designs..
VANGUARD development
deciding between a tv console and a 2 piece entertainment cabinet
I like both but have to decide. The big one has a finish...
jennyrenn11