Living room floorplan
wksalter
Need help with furniture placement. We have 88" long x 40" wide sofa and a pair of 30" wide x 40" deep club chairs. Room is 18' 4" long x 15' 5" wide. The way it's arranged now it seems too tight of a squeeze between chair backs and kitchen wall (about 18" walkway). Were still looking at different arrangements, but I'd love to have your input and suggestions.
Thanks
Kristen
flair lighting
why isnt anything on the other wall? and what is that giant claw stand for lol.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 11:12AM
Maureen
You could try placing your couch & side table opposite club chairs and put your console table behind the couch and add a large paining above. Add a light to the side table. Two stools placed in front of firepalce. Or try club chairs on either side of fireplace facing in, move couch in a bit and turn coffee table. I would remove almost everything from the mantle and add a mirrror above. [houzz=
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 11:33AM
flair lighting
is this a sitting or tv viewing room?
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 11:47AM
wksalter
Hello! Thanks for the discussion contributions! The giant claw stand is a bike rack which will live in the garage. :)
The long wall will house a media unit for tv watching. We only have one living room in the house and though we don't watch a lot of tv we do like to watch movies in here. We were thinking of a large piece of art over the fireplace versus mounting the tv there because that fireplace wall directly faces the entry and is the first thing one sees coming inside.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 11:57AM
wksalter
The mantle is full of candleholders right now which I'm weeding through to give away ones I know we won't use in the house. So those will not be there. I should remove them and take a new picture. Also, my initial pictures didn't show the long wall well enough. Here is a photo of that wall. And a photo showing how the living opens to the entry and dining rooms. Also, the wall behind the club chairs in the original pictures I posted has a pass through to the kitchen in the middle of it, and does not have media outlets. The long wall has the cable and structured wiring outlets.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:01PM
wksalter
I've been rearranging the furniture today. The couch now faces the media wall, and the back of the chairs face the front entry with a sofa table behind them.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:04PM
abbyjean
Small change, but could the couch and the chairs switch places? It might look more welcoming to see wo chairs as you enter your home instead of a back of a couch.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:05PM
abbyjean
We overlapped and I see you did move the couch. Also happy to see the chairs closer together as the table between them took up a lot of room. Coffee table should be centered with the couch this time around, too.
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 12:07PM
abbyjean
Just not sure about the table behind the chairs. The stools could go under the tv, but can the console table go somewhere else? Dining room? Foyer? In front of a window by the fireplace? I cannot tell what is in front of the windows now.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:08PM
wksalter
I should also mention the sofa and chairs will be recovered FYI, and the tables replaced.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:08PM
abbyjean
Nope....guess the stools will not work under the tv.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:11PM
wksalter
Abbyjean, yes I agree, the table behind the chairs is different than what I'm used to seeing. I just really wanted to try to work it in to have a table to display framed pictures on. Though we will have a media center or console that could be used for display as well. Here is a picture with the table and storage cubes below removed.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:13PM
wksalter
We will have a different piece of furniture to house the tv and media equipment, and will have a 55" tv I think. The console table could be used on an open wall in the kitchen perhaps for a tea service, but I was thinking something with cabinets for the kitchen. The dining doesn't have a spot for console and the spot in the entry will handle something 36" wide below the recessed niche.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:15PM
abbyjean
I love the room with the console removed. Sorry, but that pic is just soooo nice with the chairs open and the switch you made.
3 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:17PM
abbyjean
Happy to know the candlesticks will be finding new homes, too, as you will soooo love a nice piece of art up on the mantle instead. And thank you for not putting the tv there!!!
2 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:19PM
wksalter
It does feel more open, I know it will feel more complete with a larger entertainment center, right now without the console it just feels a little incomplete, but that may be because the media wall is so bare with the tiny table I have there temporarily holding the tv. I could put both of the folding x bench/stools in front of the fireplace and put the console in front of the corner window with some framed photos and a lamp. Or I could put one of the folding x benches behind the chairs? And the other one somewhere else?
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:23PM
abbyjean
I would love to see you try the benches in front of the fireplace and the console in front of the corner window. Not sure about a lamp on it, but start with the furniture first and see what it looks/feels like. Try to leave the back of the chairs open.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:26PM
tlparks
I know you didn't say anything about the area rug, but would you consider getting a new one with more color (once you have decided on what you plan to do with furniture fabric)? It really does nothing for the room. Maybe you could put it in a bedroom.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:26PM
wksalter
Yes, we decided we did not want the tv a focal point and that getting a longer entertainment unit that would fill the long wall would help fill out the room. I will move the candle holders and take a new pic. And take a pic with the console by the window in just a minute.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:26PM
wksalter
I could use the rug in the master bedroom, is the only other room it will fit in. However I chose the natural rug, it is 9x12, because we have a bright teal/turquoise/emerald (?) rug in the dining room, which is open to the living room. But I am definitely open to changing the rug. Here's a pic of the dining rug (covered in STUFF were trying to decide what keep and what get rid of)..I need to trim the underlayment pad that's sticking out. I don't think the rug is showing up just right color in these pics, it has some emerald tone but if I had to say it is teal or turquoise.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:32PM
wksalter
The teal rug is 8 x 10.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:32PM
wksalter
The storage cubes under console will be recovered as well. Is the two benches in front of fireplace too much? Here is pic with one and a pic with pair...sorry these photos are poor, I turned the lights all on and it hasn't seemed to help.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:40PM
wksalter
One bench pictures...
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:42PM
flair lighting
i would just get rid of the console for now, angle the chairs a bit maybe put the foot stool between them with a tray on? and the cool benches back under the windows or for now left right of tv.
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 12:44PM
flair lighting
oh and the teal rug.........yes please!
2 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:46PM
flair lighting
maybe the console can house the tv for now?
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 12:47PM
abbyjean
I have to agree with flair....no console....no benches.
2 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:48PM
Maureen
I think the benches suited being in front of the windows and gave balance to room vs the console table on one side. Not sure if you already tried or if it has been suggested, how about putting couch on long wall where tv is. Leave chairs where they are but separate them out a bit or put on an angle. Add ottomans in front of fireplace and console table behind couch and a painting above, as that will fill that wall up nicely. On narrower wall opposite, add a bookshelf and place tv there.
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 12:59PM
wksalter
Hi Maureen, I'm about to read your commend to respond, I'm just posting some changes I've just tried. Here are some pictures with:
Candleholders cleaned off from mantle
Benches are under windows again
Console moved to tv wall with storage cubes beneath to hide cords for now ( this is temporary home for tv)

We will move teal rug into living room to see how it looks as an alternative to the jute rug this evening when my husband gets home. Be back in a minute to check responses.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 1:12PM
wksalter
Updated photos
2 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 1:14PM
Nancy Walton
I think your coffee table and end tables are too large and visually heavy for this room. Then those "benches" are too visually light in scale to go with the tables. Are they actually sturdy enough for an adult to sit on? And what about lighting?
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 1:14PM
Nancy Walton
Oh, I forgot... pull all the seating pieces off the rug so only the front feet are on the rug by about 6". The furniture looks too jammed together.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 1:16PM
wksalter
Photos with benches left right of tv
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 1:16PM
Maureen
I think this set up could be the answer, but would move benches back to window?
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 1:17PM
wksalter
Hi Maureen, the tv must be placed on the long wall because of the cable outlet and the structured wiring which connects the tv to the in home ceiling speakers through the house via those ugly jumbles of blue HDMI cables, which will ultimately be concealed by a new entertainment unit/ media console. About the chairs, I tried angling them but could not get it to look right. I will play with adjusting the chairs later this evening, perhaps moving them apart a bit.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 1:22PM
wksalter
Hi Nancy, I have some other coffee, end table options, though I'm not sure they are any smaller framed. We were thinking of getting a square coffee table. We don't have a lighting plan yet were waiting to see what the furniture arrangement will be and pieces used and then will see what spots are available for lamps. Overhead lighting is four can lights and a spot light over fireplace. I do have a light kit for the ceiling fan we can use if needed. Regarding the furniture placement in relation to the rug, we initially centered the rug to the fireplace/windows. Then the next thing we did was place the couch about 32" from the kitchen wall to ensure enough walk space for traffic there. We could try pulling the rug off center towards the long tv wall, placing the sofa feet on the rug a few inches as you suggest, keeping about 32" between couch and wall. The main change there would be that the rug would no longer be centered in the room. I'm not sure that would be a problem. This placement will be effected also when we try out the smaller teal rug in the room this evening. Well try it both ways, with teal rug, and off-centering jute rug to pull the furniture further off rug. Be back
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 1:30PM
wksalter
Maureen, I agree, I think I like the benches back in front of windows, it's kind of lonely over there by the fireplace now. Will do that tonight as well. Oh and I forgot to answer the question about the benches, they do support an adult well, I'm pretty heavy and they support me well. I'm going out for a bit and will check back later. Thanks to all!
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 1:33PM
abbyjean
LOVE the console for the tv with the stools under it and agree the benches are perfect with the windows.
3 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 1:47PM
My 2 cents... for around $35 you can install swivel/rocker mechanisms on the bottoms of your club chairs. Then you can place both chairs and sofa in perpendicular alignment with the TV, chairs on TV side where they can rotate back and forth from TV to conversation. Replace the tables with properly sized ones. Coffee width should be 1/3 to 1/2 the length of your sofa and no longer than 2/3 of your sofa's seating area (between the arms.) Keep the height within several inches of your sofa's seat height.
3 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 3:04PM
sandradclark
I prefer the TV on the sofa table with the stools underneath to obscure the cords. The small tray tables looked good under the windows. The chairs side by side with the smaller table you will be buying between the chairs, put a lamp on the table. You will want small tables on either side of the sofa (probably with lamps as well). instead of a coffee table use an ottoman.

I think once you replace the larger side & coffee tables the room will be great. Of course add lamps onto all smaller side tables. Change the area rug or not. Place some bright colored accessories around, like vases or bowls (matching or not.) By all means place some books and or coffee table magazines to add a "lived in" look. I'll be over later for tea and see if you got it right!!!! Don't forget art on the walls. I feel comfortable already.

I love the room and the architecture.
1 Like   August 25, 2014 at 4:36PM
wksalter
Decoenthusiast, I really like the idea of swivel rocker addition, I was thinking of not skirting the chairs when I reupholster them to update them a bit. Could I still use the swivel base attachment without a skirt? I'm going to search for some pics of that tonight. Thank you!
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 6:25PM
wksalter
Hi Sandraclark,
For adding table between chairs and on either side of sofa, do you have any suggestions for getting lamps there without cords across floor? The only option I've found are those rubber commercial looking strips that go on top of the cords. This has been something I've wondered about and was kind of resigned to not being able to put lamps out in the room. I thought maybe just floor lamps by the walls. But without lamps out in the room, it seems like it will be missing some height variation. But maybe that's not important.

Thanks to all for input! This is great,
K
2 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 6:32PM
The $35 one is metal and too utilitarian to expose. I suggested it because I noted your chairs were skirted.Generally, they have 4-5 legs, but there are also some that are rings, so you might do a search for one of those.
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 4:53AM
Living room/dining room floorplan question
Hi there, I've always loved this site and used it frequently...
jtmcb
how to separate a living room and a playroom in an open floorplan
We have a center hall colonial and are gutting our...
ktnordman
Please help: small L-shaped living room floorplan?
What are your thoughts on this floor plan? What else...
Talee PC
Need help with floorplan for large living room
Hi...I just decided to stay in my apartment for another...
Julie Greenhouse
Funky floorplan in living/dining room -- help with furniture layout
I've been stuck trying to figure out how to arrange...
Brittan Heller
Seeking feedback on Fenix NM or Dekton countertops
Hello! We have absolute black honed granite in our...
audreysw
Backsplash Catastro-Clash
Our new kitchen reno is almost done. And hallelujah...
gduplessis
Modern fence and gate
Can anyone give me a clue of how I could go about duplicating...
Sheila Hartley
new look
I want to remodle our family room. I want to bring...
negean
rredpenn