Contemporary style in a Craftsman?
jenberry72
I am buying a 1916 Craftsman with beautiful dark wood trim. See the pictures attached--this shows the former owner's furnishings. I am going a bit more contemporary with cream sofas, gray and cream draperies, and gray and cream rug with some pops of color in the accessories/pillows. I am thinking about using Benjamin Moore Silver Fox for the walls. Will it look wierd to do a gray/contemporary scheme in a traditional craftsman? Should I use a different shade of gray for the paint or a different color all together? Help!
jenberry72
The 3rd and 4th pics are the drapes and area rug I'm considering.
April 17, 2012 at 9:18am   
Connie Wersal-LaVelle, Allied ASID
This is where a professional designer would be very helpful to you. Mixing craftsman and contemporary is a very updated look . They are very compatible styes to blend.
April 17, 2012 at 9:26am   
Get Back JoJo
My opinion is as long as the room has the correct scale pieces in it, and it all works together: form, function, color, design then do whatever style you want. The unexpected element is pretty cool. i just think people make mistakes when they purchase the wrong peices for the whole scheme. get a floor plan, pick fabrics and textures and colors that all work well together and you should be good. And yes a professional can help you! We save you time and $!
April 19, 2012 at 11:11am   
tsudhonimh
One color that was definitely "in" during the craftsman era was a pale silvery blue. I found it as the original color in a house built about 1915, under 1950s wallpaper.

It's like a very pale "French blue".
April 19, 2012 at 4:24pm   
Minister of the Interior
I have had a similar style of house here in Australia, mine was a Gentlemans Bungalow. I painted the walls in white, looked divine with the dark timber frames. It definately made it look a little more modern.I say go for it!
April 19, 2012 at 4:48pm   
Gigi Park
I agree with Minister of the Interior. Go for white walls. They look dynamite with dark wood. Your modern gray and cream patterned drapes and carpet with cream sofas will be a welcome change from the ordinary. Can't see Silver Fox next to dark wood trim. Post photos when you are done!
April 19, 2012 at 5:32pm   
houssaon
I checked out the color on the Benjamin Moore web and it looks like a warm grey, which should work just fine. You could think about adding color to the ceiling. I did a mock-up with silver fox on the walls and a green on the ceiling.
I think the silver fox looks great with the house's woodwork and with the drapes and rug you picked out.
Great looking house, too. Good luck!
April 19, 2012 at 5:33pm   
Barnhart Gallery
I think it will look brilliant in Silver Fox with your furnishings. Great job!
April 19, 2012 at 5:39pm   
houssaon
BY the way, love the curtains and the rug you are considering! So perfect with the silver fox.
April 19, 2012 at 6:07pm   
Gigi Park
I've used Silver Fox and love it with white trim. It is much darker than the sketch up houssan posted. Take a look; http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/silverfox
I'm not often in the white / off white camp, but for this project, I'm entrenched.
April 19, 2012 at 6:54pm   
houssaon
Our eyes fool us. The silver fox in my mock up is exactly the same color as the silver fox in the BM paint sample. When surrounded by white, colors look darker and when colors are surrounded by darker colors, the color looks lighter. Of course this mock up is very primitive, the color in the real room will look different with shadows and light.
April 20, 2012 at 9:40am   
jenberry72
Thank you all! I am considering a couple other shades of gray now based on comments, but think I am going to stick with the overall contemporary concept. I will definitely post pictures when I'm done. They end picture in my head looks great...we'll see if I can pull it off!
April 20, 2012 at 12:14pm   
Yunus Mansuri
good
April 21, 2012 at 5:20am   
Outdated home gets Contemporary Craftsman upgrade
Major remodeling and addition including a new kitchen,...
Updating a Dining Room to combine Craftsman & Contemporary?
Clients loved contemporary, but had lots of Mission...
Farmhouse 'Style' - Craftsman style - where do they fit?
Although Farmhouse is often a style of a house, Houzz...
Ideas for craftsman style/modern twist fireplace mantel
Would love some help figuring out a design for a craftsman...
POLL: What color is your front door?
Let's talk about you! The color you choose to paint...
Need help improving our dining room
Hey guys, I'm new here, but very excited! :) My husband...
Do you have a dedicated craft room?
Curious to see if people have a dedicated craft or...
Need help to find right rug , coffee tables and ottoman .
Hello, dear houzz designers really need your advice...