Contemporary style in a Craftsman?
jenberry72
I am buying a 1916 Craftsman with beautiful dark wood trim. See the pictures attached--this shows the former owner's furnishings. I am going a bit more contemporary with cream sofas, gray and cream draperies, and gray and cream rug with some pops of color in the accessories/pillows. I am thinking about using Benjamin Moore Silver Fox for the walls. Will it look wierd to do a gray/contemporary scheme in a traditional craftsman? Should I use a different shade of gray for the paint or a different color all together? Help!
jenberry72
The 3rd and 4th pics are the drapes and area rug I'm considering.
0 Likes   April 17, 2012 at 9:18AM
Connie Wersal-LaVelle, Allied ASID
This is where a professional designer would be very helpful to you. Mixing craftsman and contemporary is a very updated look . They are very compatible styes to blend.
0 Likes   April 17, 2012 at 9:26AM
Get Back JoJo
My opinion is as long as the room has the correct scale pieces in it, and it all works together: form, function, color, design then do whatever style you want. The unexpected element is pretty cool. i just think people make mistakes when they purchase the wrong peices for the whole scheme. get a floor plan, pick fabrics and textures and colors that all work well together and you should be good. And yes a professional can help you! We save you time and $!
0 Likes   April 19, 2012 at 11:11AM
tsudhonimh
One color that was definitely "in" during the craftsman era was a pale silvery blue. I found it as the original color in a house built about 1915, under 1950s wallpaper.

It's like a very pale "French blue".
0 Likes   April 19, 2012 at 4:24PM
Minister of the Interior
I have had a similar style of house here in Australia, mine was a Gentlemans Bungalow. I painted the walls in white, looked divine with the dark timber frames. It definately made it look a little more modern.I say go for it!
0 Likes   April 19, 2012 at 4:48PM
Gigi Park
I agree with Minister of the Interior. Go for white walls. They look dynamite with dark wood. Your modern gray and cream patterned drapes and carpet with cream sofas will be a welcome change from the ordinary. Can't see Silver Fox next to dark wood trim. Post photos when you are done!
0 Likes   April 19, 2012 at 5:32PM
houssaon
I checked out the color on the Benjamin Moore web and it looks like a warm grey, which should work just fine. You could think about adding color to the ceiling. I did a mock-up with silver fox on the walls and a green on the ceiling.
I think the silver fox looks great with the house's woodwork and with the drapes and rug you picked out.
Great looking house, too. Good luck!
0 Likes   April 19, 2012 at 5:33PM
Barnhart Gallery
I think it will look brilliant in Silver Fox with your furnishings. Great job!
0 Likes   April 19, 2012 at 5:39PM
houssaon
BY the way, love the curtains and the rug you are considering! So perfect with the silver fox.
0 Likes   April 19, 2012 at 6:07PM
Gigi Park
I've used Silver Fox and love it with white trim. It is much darker than the sketch up houssan posted. Take a look; http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/silverfox
I'm not often in the white / off white camp, but for this project, I'm entrenched.
0 Likes   April 19, 2012 at 6:54PM
houssaon
Our eyes fool us. The silver fox in my mock up is exactly the same color as the silver fox in the BM paint sample. When surrounded by white, colors look darker and when colors are surrounded by darker colors, the color looks lighter. Of course this mock up is very primitive, the color in the real room will look different with shadows and light.
0 Likes   April 20, 2012 at 9:40AM
jenberry72
Thank you all! I am considering a couple other shades of gray now based on comments, but think I am going to stick with the overall contemporary concept. I will definitely post pictures when I'm done. They end picture in my head looks great...we'll see if I can pull it off!
0 Likes   April 20, 2012 at 12:14PM
Yunus Mansuri
good
0 Likes   April 21, 2012 at 5:20AM
Exterior Remodeling - 80's Contemporary into More Craftsman Style
Looking for remodel ideas to convert an 80's contemporary...
laxin213
Updating a Dining Room to combine Craftsman & Contemporary?
Clients loved contemporary, but had lots of Mission...
jannahopson
Outdated home gets Contemporary Craftsman upgrade
Major remodeling and addition including a new kitchen,...
M. Designs Architects
Siding and Texture Ideas for a Contemporary Craftsman Remodel
Siding and texture, such as stucco, brick, and stone...
Darren Hart
Farmhouse 'Style' - Craftsman style - where do they fit?
Although Farmhouse is often a style of a house, Houzz...
bmhanenkrat
can you mix 2 colors of leather
I have a burgundy leather couch, a gold cloth recliner,...
judyf138
Closet door help, please!
We need help figuring out what to do for the under...
Amanda
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
stryker
Need help picking out paint color for cabinets.
I have dark grey countertops and walls are a beige/off...
Amber O'Connor
need pics/ideas/help
hello everyone and merry xmas, 1st time home owner...
AnDy Rasheke