Tabla Rasa - our new living room

TarabbeyAugust 25, 2014
after 3 years of living on a boat we have bought a house and have NO furniture for our living room. So we are starting from scratch.
I have attached photos of the space with previous owners furniture
in it. The room is 16x19'. I will probably do a custom order for sofa & chairs. I was told by a salesperson my style is 'casual elegance.'
I like a little elegance - but my husband is very casual and we both
want comfort and it to look inviting. I lean toward transitional.
Wall are yellow - and we are keeping them that way. Hardwood floors.
Thanks for your suggestions for best use of this space. BTW - we are NOT big TV watchers - we do watch movies...
ritasj
I find the main thing missing in casual elegance room is comfortable seating for reading..more shallow seats..more upright backs....also deep seating really needs an ottoman...
    Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 10:53PM
ritasj
Also the one thing that shouts to be changed is the floor in kitchen ...it should match adjoining floor to create more flow and flexibility in arranging the space
1 Like    Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 10:59PM
Tarabbey
Thank you for your input. I am planning on buying a sofa - two chairs and an ottoman, The upright back is a good suggestion.
    Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 6:42AM
CDR Design
Here is what I would do as far as furniture arrangement:

See where the previous owner's sofa is? Imagine that pulled forward a couple of feet. Foot traffic flows behind the sofa.

TV stays where is it

2 chairs are placed in an L shape to sofa, backs to kitchen.

In the window area, add a built-in window seat.
    Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 7:02AM
Tarabbey
Thank you CDR - we just moved in - still unpacking and cleaning.
This is an interesting idea - I will consider this.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 7:27PM
Nancy Walton
Is there a door on your pantry? In the photo it looks like you don't. Hard to tell, but that is one of the first things I would do.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 8:48PM
CDR Design
Gosh, hope there is a door there and we just can't see it!
    Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 9:04PM
Tarabbey
Ah-yes The pantry door. Yes there is a tacky bifold door that tends to stay open. We are trying to figure out something for that. I think a pocket door would be perfect - but don't know what that would entail.
    Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 9:34AM
CDR Design
Can we see a closer photo of that area?
    Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 9:38AM
Tarabbey
sure - how do I add more photos to this thread?
    Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 10:05AM
CDR Design
Click on "write a comment"
Click on "attach images"
find image and click "attach"
    Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 11:33AM
Tarabbey
DUH! I also started a new post "Tacky Pantry Door." Thanks!
    Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 11:53AM
CDR Design
It's a lot to learn to navigate houzz. I've been on for over a year, so don't feel bad. I'll go to your other dilemma.
    Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 11:59AM
Nancy Walton
How wide is the opening? You might be able to put in a regular door there if it's no more than 36". You can't do a pocket door because of the electrical panel, unless you want to relocate it (very expensive).
    Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 12:10PM
Tarabbey
Thanks Nancy! Someone came up with the idea of french doors. I love this idea.
    Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 4:14PM
What ever you do. Don't by matching pieces. Mixed it up. A sectional would work. With yellow walls, I would go a tweed mix of gold, tan and dark down. If you want a sofa with chairs. Go soft gold on sofa. And a print like a stripe on chairs. Using a gold with shades of green. I do t think you need to go custom. Room is big enough to go 7-8 ft sofa with 4 chairs side by side facing each other. A very large 36" square coffee table in a dark wood. Get a area rug, a celery green, would work. 8x10. Over sofa buy big 40x40 art multi colors hang 7" from top of sofa. Accessories are very important. Have end tables for sofa with very nice crystal base, with a dark gold shades drum style. A buffet long could be used for TV. Just sit on Buffett. Add potted plants to bare corners.
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 4:33PM
Where they have ugly bookcases. Put Buffett 6 ft or longer. Add large pots to top to fill space. Nothing over TV not needed. After looking at room. Just two chairs instead of 4. And 7 ft sofa. Make end tables to the floor chest type. In kitchen a round 40" glass table with a unusual base. 4 chairs leather high back. Pier One sells. If you have Z Galleries. Check for all your needs they have great furniture and art. Over fireplace add art not a boring mirror. Maybe 2 tall silver candlestick on end. Is all you need on mantel.
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 4:40PM
In dining room. Dark rectangle table with high back wing back chairs in a print fabric with yellow in them. On ends only use wood side chairs. Go glam on chandelier hang 36" from top of table. Crystal, would be nice with gold.
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 4:43PM
No small items on walls. Note too. Their lamp is to short go 24-30" high. You have high ceilings
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 4:44PM
French doors are glass I would put that on a panty. What you have isn't that bad.
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 4:48PM
I would replace light in kitchen. Go round if round table. Remove all the items on top of cabinets just look cluttered.
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 4:49PM
I meant I would NOT put in French .
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 4:52PM
Tarabbey
WOW! Thank you Nancy for taking the time with these suggestions. All very interesting except I don't care for earth tones. I was thinking of teal or green. The celery rug sounds nice. I really am drawn to greens. We are definitely going to get different light fixtures.
And thanks for your ideas on accessories. I am kind of a minimalist when it comes to that.
I do not like a cluttered look. We are going to look at sofas and chairs this week. I will check out Z Galleries, too.
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 8:10PM
Tarabbey
CDR - we are going with your idea of pulling sofa away from the wall about 3' - going to look at fabrics tomorrow so we can special order our sofa & chairs. I looked at area rugs
today - it was suggested I start with that first. I was SO overwhelmed by all the different
choices - I decided I would start with the sofa fabric. I will probably end up with something
near a solid color for an area rug anyway. I am not big on prints. I am attracted to the teal family of colors - blues - greens
- these are colors I have always felt good around - but I don't want to overdo it.
    Bookmark   September 5, 2014 at 7:26PM
CDR Design
I think you will really like that arrangement, Sylvia. I would suggest that you go with more neutral fabric/leather on the furniture and add accents, paint in colors. This will allow you to change things out more easily. You can always buy one fun chair in blue/teal. Here are a few examples of neutral furniture, but still color in the room.

Urban Organic · More Info
]
    Bookmark   September 6, 2014 at 3:55AM
CDR Design
Kapalua Living Room · More Info
]
    Bookmark   September 6, 2014 at 3:59AM
Tarabbey
Thanks, I like the urban organic one the best. I came home with 3 different fabrics for the sofa and two for the chairs. One - my favorite is almost white with a weave of soft grayed teal. Then we would have two soft teal chairs and print pillows. The other sofa fabric we like is another soft teal weave - but I am not wild about the chair fabric with that one. One major concern about the first one is it being pretty white and keeping it clean. It will also look more formal. Any suggestions?
    Bookmark   September 6, 2014 at 1:37PM
CDR Design
That sounds really, pretty, Sylvia!

I think the lighter sofa will be fine, if it is just the 2 of you....if a lot of kids are around....maybe a different story.

Also, some furniture lines are now offering outdoor fabrics for indoor furniture. Outdoor fabric has changed.....doesn't look like a "tent" anymore, if you know what I mean.

Otherwise, what about a cream leather sofa.

Or......if the sofa will be used more, what about a teal sofa and the white with woven teal on the chairs?
    Bookmark   September 6, 2014 at 1:51PM
Nancy Walton
Show and tell! Can you attach photos of the fabrics?
    Bookmark   September 6, 2014 at 2:02PM
Tarabbey
Thank you for your ideas. Just got internet access back. We bought some patio
furniture to use in the living room while we wait for our new furniture. Well now
we think the sofa we were about to order is way too big for our room - especially
if we put the sofa out away from the wall.
    Bookmark   September 10, 2014 at 9:15AM
Tarabbey
WHOOPS! a couple of questions, What size sofa would look good? The one we were going to order is 91". I am attaching pictures of the living area with the patio furniture. Also including a picture of the fabric I chose. One one left is for the two swivel chairs, one in middle is for the sofa and one on right is throw pillows. We are looking at Huntington House for the sofa. The other question is what to put the TV on? It would go on the wall behind the two chairs. Living room is 16' x 19'.
    Bookmark   September 10, 2014 at 9:23AM
Tarabbey
more photos - thanks for your input.
    Bookmark   September 10, 2014 at 9:28AM
CDR Design
In current arrangement fp is ignored. I would try these first

A. Move chairs all the way to wall and move sofa in accordingly

B. Move chairs to kitchen side and again, move sofa in

91 inch sofa is probably too long. Let's try other arrangements first.
    Bookmark   September 10, 2014 at 9:37AM
Our new open plan living room
Just completed phase 1 of designing our new living...
jonnyg1066
Our new living room - window furnishings???
Does anyone have any ideas on how we should furnish...
jozifro
Our new addition - room planning for a living room
Below are the room dimensions. The north wall looks...
pmastron
Our new house - living room
We bought a house that was built in 1989 and the inside...
stephkbartlett
Our new house living room paint
Hi All.. We recently moved into a new home but are...
Arati Musale-Jagtap
St. Augustine or Fescue in Plano, TX
Hello Experts, I have two trees in the front of my...
archandon
What are the best carpet and pad options for radiant heat floors
We have installed stone over most of the radiant heat...
jyoull
classic interior
i have 2 corner tables in my salon, wondering how to...
Sarah Ali
nice flower wall , nice life
Really, the flower wall decals generation can satisfy...
yami
What to do with our walls- master bedroom
We need bedside lamps and to decorate our walls in...
rescuejill