Yikes living room!
missydawn272
August 25, 2014 in Design Dilemma
Need help with living room. We would like to take out the arch in the fireplace however it's not in our budget. What would you do with fireplace, wall colors, table color, placement of sofa, tv and anything else you see that screams help me! Thank you for any advice!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
The fireplace arch is great--it is the only realy good Architectural feature in the room, however you are ruining it with the TV. Place the TV somewhere else, maybe on a table. Get a new floor lamp, an area rug, fun pillows, and new curtains.
6 Likes   Thanked by missydawn272    August 25, 2014 at 5:22PM
asquithoatley
I would place the tv lower down in the corner to the right- better viewing there from your sofa place it on a corner media center and hide all the cords.
I think a longer less chunky and more streamlined console table would look better and remove 75% of the decoration.
You need some color on the wall where the fireplace is - everything is beige. What about a soft green - similar to the jar on your console table.
2 Likes   Thanked by missydawn272    August 25, 2014 at 5:42PM
Dar Eckert
Definitely agree, the TV needs to be moved. Looks like you have an interest in Moroccan style judging from your art pieces. You should play that up and the arch will fit right in with that style. Maybe take that red piece on the table and use it on the wall. Get a lampshade with a Moroccan print. Colorful pillows in jewel tone blues, reds, greens etc. Little splashes of brilliant color can give it a more Moroccan feel as in these examples.

LAKEWOOD / Dallas
Southampton Moroccan
3 Likes   Thanked by missydawn272    August 25, 2014 at 6:23PM
missydawn272
Would you just paint the fireplace wall or the entire room? Also would you use different colors on the fireplace wall such as on the arch?
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 2:32AM
missydawn272
The brown pillow is what came with the sofa, ignore the green. Below is a link to the rug we have in that space. I was going to add the other pillows from target with curtain then decided not to. what colors would you do with the pillow, curtains and so on..As you can tell I am not a designer. This space just doesn't feel right or flow. Thank you!

http://m.target.com/p/threshold-criss-cross-fleece-rug-gray/-/A-14180731?clkid=TprRysUj:VIa0NfxsAy0vzPWUkQURtxW83XhX00&lnm=Online+Tracking+Link&afid=Skimbit+Ltd.&ref=tgt_adv_xasd0002
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 2:58AM
PRO
CDR Design
Hi. Good potential here.

1) Move tv into right corner and place in a corner unit
2) New drapes that are more substantial and hung higher
3)Remove the sofa table
4) Paint the arch and crossbar one color/rest of the wall alternate color.
5) Sectional is massive and overwhelms the room. Consider replacing it with a sofa and chairs when budget allows
0 Likes   Thanked by missydawn272    August 26, 2014 at 3:12AM
PRO
CDR Design
Here they painted the recessed area a darker color. But, they do not have the relief that you have on your decorative area. I think I would go more with painting the relief, as I mentioned before and leaving the center are the wall color.

As far as the breast of the chimney, I would paint it the same color as the other walls. The breast of the chimney, being a rectangle, fights with the curvature. So, I wouldn't be accenting it.

[houzz=
]
2 Likes   Thanked by missydawn272    August 26, 2014 at 3:21AM
Rina
I agree with a lot of what's been said. As far as sorting out your colours is concerned, I would suggest you look at Matisse's Odalisque paintings for the fireplace -- most of the ladies aren't wearing much, but I have found one for you below in a state fit for children to view. ;-) Not only are they in line with what you already have, but they are packed full of colour. Then you can draw colours from the painting for your cushions. Keep the curtains as they are, I think, and I also like your rug.

An example below, too, of the kind of table/bookcase that would work better behind your sofa. And if you find a bookcase, I would put some books in it, too, to create simple geometric shapes for the eye to rest among the more decorative items. Consider moving the larger red and green jars to safe positions on the floor -- in the right corner below the TV, perhaps, might be one good place. Or you could have a very low table or podium in that corner for one of the vases and the beautiful doll.

http://www.abacus-gallery.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.pl?fid=1263352679&cgifunction=form http://www.polyvore.com/mitchell_gold_bob_williams_fritz/thing?id=100556007
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 4:49AM
Rina
Forgot the pic.
1 Like   Thanked by missydawn272    August 26, 2014 at 4:51AM
PRO
CDR Design
I would move the lamp towards the back of the end table.

Would you consider taking the middle section out of the sectional and placing an end table between the 2 sections?
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 5:21AM
Dar Eckert
I love the rug. The blue pillows would be lovely but use the brown one that came with the sofa elsewhere.
1 Like   Thanked by missydawn272    August 26, 2014 at 5:43AM
PRO
CDR Design
Sectional would look better in formal with tv on wall. Sectional is too large for family room.

I cannot comment on accents until you get the furniture set.

Love the chairs. Could be recovered in something really glam!
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 11:56AM
missydawn272
What do you think of these pillow cases? Also, how do we help this fireplace? Can we pain it? Here is the color of the door and trim, our wall color is more of a cream with yellow tones. What white would you paint door and trim? Thank you!
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 12:04PM
missydawn272
Here is formal area.
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 12:16PM
PRO
CDR Design
Missy, let's take it one step at a time.

First, decide on furniture arrangement. The living room appears to be a larger room. Is that the case? Then, I think the sectional and tv would work better in the living room.
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 12:25PM
missydawn272
Haha, I am trying to get it all done at once! Yes the living room is larger.
0 Likes   August 29, 2014 at 12:49AM
Dar Eckert
The photo of the sectional with the pillows looks very monochromatic which is a nice safe look. The sofa looks much lighter in color than the original photo, which I like. You've got a good start to add character to the room by the other items in your room. Now add a plant to the room by the windows, get some art for the wall & move the TV.
0 Likes   Thanked by missydawn272    August 29, 2014 at 7:19AM
PRO
Art Cricket LA
Your walls need some art to bring the eye up and take attention away from the tv. I would recommend collecting a few pieces of original art that you love that can hang together in clusters.
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 8:48AM