Need help with living room & fireplace.
sparklesperson
This is the living room of a house we are looking to purchase in the near future. I love the idea of a fireplace, but HATE the blah "country" wood look. This is likely a gas fireplace, as there is some kind of venting thing on the outside.

The carpet is nice. It's deep and soft, and we're currently going to keep it. This pic does NOT do it justice.

I'd love to open up the wall to windows. The fireplace is on a West wall, the patio door is on the south. There is currently NO deck there, we'll be adding one. This thread is looking for ideas to open up the wall, and maybe do something better with that ugly fireplace surround.
You could certainly install windows all the way across to the right of the fireplace. And the fireplace surround would be easy enough to replace. Rip it off, frame it out, face it with stone or stainless or corten steel or whatever surface suits your fancy.

But that much green in a room this large with ceilings this low is overwhelming. I'd have to replace the floor with wood.
2 Likes   Thanked by sparklesperson    August 26, 2014 at 2:15PM
sparklesperson
I do like the windows idea - both outer walls, if I get my way. Thanks, that's a great idea.
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 2:20PM
sparklesperson
This is a HUGE room, it just echoes, although I suppose when we get upholstered furniture in there that won't be as big an issue. I also loved how the carpet felt under my feet, but maybe we can change colors.
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 2:23PM
interiordesignme
i think you should definetely change the colour to something neutral - Lower Level Family Room -
your room is definetely big, so just take big sectionals - curved, play around with it... you can get some great effects Caroline Beaupere Design
NJ Residential
Make sure to get different areas in the room - fireplace, tv, lounging ... you can get some great features! good luck
1 Like   Thanked by sparklesperson    August 26, 2014 at 2:35PM
sparklesperson
I figured that maybe I should get a "look and feel" for this room before tackling the fireplace's look, so I've been going through idea books, which haven't exactly addressed the fireplace issue, but gave me some ideas for changing the perceived scale of the room. Here are a few things I picked up:

1 - paint the baseboards to match the wall.
2 - open up the walls (outside walls anyway) to the outdoors.
3 - do something interesting with the ceiling - cove lighting, a dark stripe where walls meet ceiling, Ceiling perhaps a different color than walls.

I'd also like to look at opening up the two rooms on the left some. (side note: this house is an addition to a farm house, and has been used as a group home. We like it b/c it's so big). Yank out those walls between the East wall and the main room. Turn them into maybe a play room and a library. I do not know if that is a load bearing wall or not. Depending on that, would install a heavy beam between. Yay, I like that idea.

Otherwise, I'd like to look at installing mirrors on the interior wall. Don't know how well that will work, it's just a thought.
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 4:30PM
sparklesperson
Yes, a more neutral look is something I'll work towards.
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 4:32PM
NO dark stripe where wall meets ceiling unless you want to lower the ceiling even more. In fact, I would probably paint walls and ceiling the same.

And if you look at the last picture you uploaded, you can see how the green reflects and takes over the room. It's almost oppressive.
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 5:51PM
Because the room is so large, consider zoning the space for different activities: fireplace conversation area, game table, TV area, reading corner, whatever you might do in the space.
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 5:52PM
I downloaded your room and considered working on it, then read you are looking to purchase it in the future. How much future? How certain is this purchase? Because I don't want to spend hours on this room (which can be fantastic, BTW) if you end up not buying it.
1 Like   Thanked by sparklesperson    August 26, 2014 at 5:55PM
J Petempich
A couple of thoughts about adding windows. It is a structural change and a header and framing would have to be added and drywall patched. Also it will change the look from the outside of the house by window placement and siding changes. All this is always possible but it does cost.
1 Like   Thanked by sparklesperson    August 26, 2014 at 6:56PM
sparklesperson
groveraxle, it will be in the next few months, and we're 95% certain.
0 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 7:07PM
What Kind of Professional Do I Need?
I am considering doing a major renovation of my house...
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...
Update my foyer please!
Our home was built in 1900 and is a classic American...
Should exterior door match windows in style?
We recently updated our windows (ignore the hideous...
Kitchen Advice? Cosmetic updates to make dated kitchen more modern?
The house is 1931 Spanish Revival but we are looking...