POLL: Secretary Desks - Yes or No?
August 26, 2014 in Polls
How do you feel about secretary desks? Are they a pass or a must-have for you?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments.

Yes, please!
No thanks - I'll pass.
Other - Tell us below!
SoCal Contractor
They add a nice touch and are great for adding a touch of design to a smaller space.
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 26, 2014 at 5:24PM
My best friend had one in her living room in elementary school. We spent HOURS at it pretending to check people into an imaginary hotel. I loved it. :)
19 Likes   August 26, 2014 at 5:27PM
pickyvicky
I have the perfect place for one.....next to hubby's "chair." That will enable him to put his laptop in there, close it up and out of my sight. Sounds like plan! Thank you!
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 26, 2014 at 6:12PM
czago
As long as it's not too formal and you have the proper space for one. Personally, I don't.
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 26, 2014 at 7:44PM
condomary
I like them. I think they are an option in a small space for storage and a place to serve drinks and snacks.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 26, 2014 at 9:01PM
makaloco
I had a small one in the '80s. It was perfect in my tiny studio apartment and very handy for storing paperwork. I loved the pigeonholes! Now, alas, I need a larger work surface for computer, printer, modem, etc.
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 26, 2014 at 9:12PM
Thos. Baker
All the little compartments in a secretary's desk are great. Also love all of the different styles they come in.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 26, 2014 at 9:15PM
Eskandari Stone
I have a secretary desk in my living room behind the sofa set, which I think is the perfect place for my secretary desk.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 26, 2014 at 10:13PM
I love them as they are versatile "consoles" but still have storage place in the drawers below. I have even stuffed the cubby holes with dried flowers...
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 26, 2014 at 10:30PM
chookchook2
I want a secretary.
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 27, 2014 at 12:31AM
Thos. Baker
Then you should have one chookchook!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
2 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 1:03AM
jhayesdesigner
They are pretty but not very practical in today's lifestyle. I can't picture myself sitting at it paying bills and writing letters. I take care of my personal business in the comfort of my family room sofa. If you have space, they make a nice decorative accent.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    August 27, 2014 at 6:07AM
Ann Danielson
no thank you.......they look formal and old. Wouldn't have one in my condo at all.
0 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 12:54PM
condomary
Chookchook, i could be your secretary. How much do you pay?
1 Like   August 27, 2014 at 1:38PM
paularscrim
I live in Dallas and I have one I would like to sell.
4 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 1:42PM
By Design Custom Home Concierge
I really like things that are multi-functional. A secretary desk fills that bill AND can be a great conversation piece if placed correctly. With the popularity of urban living, space is at a premium in these homes and a secretary can pack a lot of storage into a small space. The other thing I like about them - it's storage you can move around from room to room! Viva la vintage!
8 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 2:08PM
weatherwife
I have one and absolutely love it!!
5 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 5:54PM
Nancy Evers Kirwan
I like them in the right setting, but it wouldn't be compatible with either of our houses.
1 Like   August 27, 2014 at 8:45PM
zweiback
Not enough elbow room! As pictured above, it is attractive, but the idea of having any sort of desk area with my back to the door when I'm seated makes me fidgety! :D
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 12:54PM
d_dalewatson
It would never be this neat. Lovely idea and quite compact, a place for everything. Great for smaller home.
0 Likes   August 29, 2014 at 11:31AM
66730
It would look very welcoming if you painted it to match the door would really update it I would love to paint mine but family might not agree lol!
0 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 5:02AM
LineBox Studio
They actually make more sense these days with small laptops
3 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 5:17AM
barbmarcell
I did my best writing in high school and hours of homework on a drop-down slanted secretary desk with small drawers and secret compartments. Lots of room in the cupboards to stash textbooks, 3-ring punch lined paper, boxes of pens and pencils. I had a roll-top desk, too. I have no idea where those desks went. Now, I'm on the search for a vintage-style secretary desk with side-by-side curio cabinet that will fit in my foyer. It will be a great place to drop keys and mail and the Cabinets and cupboards will be used for bathroom towels and essentials since there is a bathroom off the foyer.
6 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 10:07AM
barbmarcell
Any one of these would do!
3 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 10:15AM
sheilavk
Purchased a solid rosewood in early 90's and it worked for a while in the corner of the dining room. Then it didn't, too inconvenient to have drawers under the drop down writing portion. Moved to bedroom for a while and used as storage and sewing platform. Now it would be nice to find a buyer.
1 Like   August 30, 2014 at 1:18PM
weatherwife
I love mine!
19 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 2:46PM
Rhonda Bovine
Yes, absolutely love a fine antique secretary.
2 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 3:04PM
Joanna Perkins
Yes… in an alternate universe (in which I live in a stately home of graciously proportioned rooms), the full Chippendale.
0 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 3:22PM
Sharon Harris
I love them. They are not practical for a desk with today's needs. But a desk is not all they are useful for. If you have the room for them, they are decorative, as well as, good storage space. Almost any room, could use it in some way, not just as a desk.
3 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 4:10PM
katerlyn
I have one in Illinois, light oak, smaller than most of these, and the curved glass suffered a collision a couple years ago (will replace with lace this time). 8-) Too small, I love it, but it's time to pare down. I heard it cost $5 when my grandfather bought it for his mother. 8-)
1 Like   August 30, 2014 at 11:50PM
charajoo
My grandmother's secretary desk stands in a corner of my living room. The height balances the room. It's a lovely piece and I'm happy to have it in my home.
8 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 12:49AM
pigpenc
When we bought our current house 2 years ago, it came with an ugly 1980s version of a secretary desk (fake colonial). It's big and heavy. I tried selling it on craigslist, in a yard sale, and even dragged it to the curb and put a "free" sign on it, but no one wanted it. So after much consideration, I am going to chalk paint it and convert it into a bar in my sunroom.
10 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 4:34AM
sclawson
Beautiful to behold. Virtually useless for anything beyond writing a thank-you note, which isn't something I do much anymore.
1 Like   August 31, 2014 at 5:17AM
ellyn143
I was debating on what to put in odd little landing at the bottom of the stairs at our summer cottage when a friend asked if I might want to buy an old secretary desk she was selling. Yes! It was the perfect size! I painted it up in a pale green on the outside and a bright turquoise on the inside for fun. I changed the knobs out to handmade pottery pulls and added some colorful art and a lamp to brighten the space. Now the dark little corner is a real focal point as you climb the stairs!
16 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 6:05AM
21cylo
Yours look rather large (although from the angle I cannot really tell). I like secretary desks if they are compact. They are great for today's technology - laptops, notebooks, etc., and can also be used for storage of other small items. Also, don't be afraid to try a coat of paint. A change in the overall look of a piece can be quite refreshing.
4 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 6:09AM
21cylo
Yes! Ellyn143 knows what I mean.. Love those small pieces, and the color is wonderful!
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 6:14AM
lspurling
I have a treasured piece with storage above and below, made lovingly by my very talented father in law for his home many years ago. After shutting down my business, which required multiple desks and storage cabinets, this sleek piece fulfills my needs and I get a warm mental hug from him every time I use it. AND its wood perfectly matches my furniture!
3 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 6:21AM
lisabeeuk
Perfect in the guest room to be used as a laptop desk, vanity table, etc.
2 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 7:20AM
Nancy Evers Kirwan
yes in the right place. No place in my home
1 Like   August 31, 2014 at 8:00AM
kimdem
I have one and it's beautiful to look at, great for storage, but very inconvenient to always have to move everything off of the desk surface (which I leave open) to get into the drawers. Pretty, but not the most practical if you're going to use it a lot.
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 8:24AM
chrissiekirk
I wish I had the one my late aunt in London, England had in her sitting room. It was a beauty. Can't imagine her sons cared about it all after she passed. Wonder who has it today.
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 8:25AM
Country In Town
I just finished refurbishing this child's size secretary desk yesterday! I bought it for $40 and I knew it had potential. I put it in a guest room I just redecorated. I love it!
3 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 8:29AM
Country In Town
Here's photo
12 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 8:34AM
Sharon Harris
If you have space in the dining room, use the upper half as a "china cabinet" to display china or crystal or silver pieces. Use the pigeon holes to store cloth napkin sets. Use the little drawers to hold small serving pieces like sugar scoops, cheese/spread knives, etc. Use the large drawers beneath to store platters, tablecloths, warmers.

If you have space in your bedroom, use the upper part as a book case. Use the desk area for your laptop or keep it closed and use it for storing small items. Use the large lower drawers as a chest of drawers for your lingerie.

It doesn't have to be used only as a desk.
8 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 8:38AM
joannabaas
I have two and love them both. I went on a hunt for a small oak one several years ago. It is in the guest bedroom and holds all the art supplies, birthday and thank you cards, etc. It is the perfect place to quickly sit down and write something, then close it up and have all the supplies handy for next time. I also have my grandmothers large mahogany secretary desk with the glass shelves above which hold old leather bound books of poetry in multiple languages. The drawers have family pictures, genealogy, and treasures from the grandfather I never knew. It is a chest of memories that brings Grandma Catherine back as I remember visits to her apartment in New York City, and going down the street to dust the ornate curves when she lived near us in Illinois. I also love the quality of the wood and original finishes.
3 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 9:08AM
katerlyn
@Joannabaas that was my plan as well, to have it be my writing US mail center, however it sits in dining room...hiding my lateral file from the front of the house, 8-)
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 9:29AM
bungalowmo
I have a small Arts & Crafts era one that was given to me by a friend when she moved to Miami. When she brought it over, she mentioned she had cleaned it up for me. She used a ton of Murphys Oil Soap! OMG....it has to sit in my garage for months before I could bring it inside. That stuff is disgusting!

Here's an old shot when I finally brought it back in. I do like that it's small!
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 9:55AM
mindikay
I keep mine in my kitchen. My china sits in the top display area like a china cabinet and my phone and paperwork sit behind the drop desk so it's not on display. Plus, I have drawers and cabinets for dish storage and office supply storage. It's perfect!
2 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 11:29AM
De-cor
Love a quality secretary desk, they are both practical and pleasing to the eye ...
Here is a beautiful one currently in stock

19th century French walnut secretary desk with leather writing surface.

To purchase it visit our site http://de-cor.com/products/kshatriya-media-cabinet

or contact us at (626)405-0897 ; info@de-cor.com
2 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 1:45PM
Ya Su
Looks gorgeous but I doubt it's healthy to sit for a long time in front of it.
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 3:17PM
Diane Fairbanks
I am lucky enough to have an antique secretary which has the glassed curio cabinets on BOTH sides of the secretary section; it is beautiful and functional, and much harder to find than those secretaries with only one cabinet section. The secretary holds a lot of paperwork, receipts, etc., and the shelves hold some of my favorite knick knacks safely behind glass. Mine is also oak, which many of the older ones here in the Midwest are made of. Like many pieces of furniture 100 years old, it has a few dings here and there, but is remarkably sturdy for its age!
1 Like   August 31, 2014 at 10:09PM
Susan Davis
We have a rather long but shallow 'secretary' bought years ago for our then storage challenged kitchen. We flipped the desk down for meals "on the go" or as a buffet surface when entertaining. We used the ample shelves, drawers and cubbies as auxiliary kitchen storage. It worked so well that we incorporated it into our new house's kitchen.
We currently have a child-size roll top desk in our bathroom--extra storage that adds warmth & charm.
2 Likes   September 1, 2014 at 6:46AM
Loribeth - Moments of Art
I wanted one to replace the large computer armoire I have. However, I recently got a large format printer, which is now housed in the armoire, so a secretary will no longer work.
0 Likes   September 1, 2014 at 9:38AM
J.M. Downey
It is a beautiful and functional piece of furniture. The flip down writing area also quickly flips up when unexpected guests stop by.
1 Like   September 1, 2014 at 1:04PM
makaloco
Yes, it flips up in an instant, but only if you don't have several dozen things sitting on it. Mine was in the entryway so that I was never tempted to clutter. I wouldn't have been able to go out or let guests in!
0 Likes   September 1, 2014 at 1:09PM
weatherwife
Would love to see Monticello!! We visited the Biltmore for our silver wedding anniversary. I would love to go back! If you haven't seen it, it's a must!!
0 Likes   September 1, 2014 at 1:11PM
weatherwife
Woops- wrong thread; and I'm unsure as to how to delete a comment!! Please excuse me! (But I still highly recommend the Biltmore!;)
2 Likes   September 1, 2014 at 1:13PM
thedarlingsbecca
I love desks of many types: I have had an antique oak secretary-ladies' desk for 40 years with carving on the outside of the front that drops down. Below that are two doors that swing open. They are each just the right size for a banker's file storage box or empty paper reams' box to corral files or other items. Above the two doors is a narrower drawer, the width of the desk, for smaller items. The "front' opens downward above these. It is held "up" by old chains. Inside the top there are compartments for staplers, paper clips, etc., etc. I saved small cans with nice tops that fit these areas, papered them with pretty scrapbook paper that accents the decor and the desk is lovely when opened or closed. It now sits in a little alcove at the top of our stairs, overlooking the vaulted front entryway. Great for handwriting journal, garden planning, using IPad, writing Christmas cards (when I do it). The grand girls love it for homework, diary entries!

In one house, we seldom used the front door. There was easily room for the secretary in the entryway with a chair next to it. It was a cozy place. Had to close the desk to open front door, but that was okay.

Also have a very large and heavy mahogany roll-top desk. I use that for more serious laptop typing, financial and household record keeping.

Okay, I DO LIKE DESKS! My third one is in the master bedroom. It is part of the same furniture line as other major pieces in the room. It has three drawers to the left, kneehole to the right. Good size mirror on wall above latter part. Am I old fashioned? I use it as my vanity! Not for me putting make-up on in the bathroom, esp. when steamed up from the shower. I like sitting there each day, my mind free to think pleasant thoughts as I go through my "beauty" routine....
1 Like   September 2, 2014 at 2:29AM
vendetta1
Maybe a nice place to store small items, but not a desk/workshop for me,. I
Took a slab of curly burly maple with live edge to create this.
Thanks Houzz!
3 Likes   September 3, 2014 at 4:40AM
kolohi
I have two and I love them. In addition to being lovely, I find them very practical. Lots of cubbies for organization, a perfect space for my laptop and I can erase the inevitable desk clutter instantly when unexpected guests arrive simply by closing the lid :) They come in every imaginable size and time period. I love the feeling of having cozy, secret spaces... I should have a hidden drawer installed. If I can't afford the other sort of secretary, then I'll take this kind.
2 Likes   September 3, 2014 at 4:59AM
carmenobrien
Great piece of furniture if you have space for it, but useless as an actual desk.
0 Likes   September 3, 2014 at 6:16AM
barbcs
There were two in my family growing up. As a piece for decor or of sentimental value, yes certainly. As a serious desk (other than writing a thank you note, as one comment suggested), definitely no. Not enough room and can't support much weight. Always have to have a drawer or other support underneath if seriously using it as a desk. Lovely if it is simply a showpiece.
1 Like   September 3, 2014 at 6:18AM
Carol Loiselle
Love them! They are the perfect peice to add height to a room. This secretary desk I converted to a bar and a handy surface for appetizers. I gave the glass a mercury glass treatment, put in Corian for the stain free surface, wine glass holders and the draws hold napkins and such. One draw is sectioned off to hold wine and I painted the inside cabinet with art.
6 Likes   September 3, 2014 at 7:02AM
moddycurl
Years ago for an anniversary my husband and I were trying to decide between and Arts and Crafts library table and an Arts and Crafts drop front desk. I preferred the drop front, but the library table won out because it seemed more practical for our needs. My husband went back to pick up the desk in our van and decided to surprise me by getting the drop front desk, too. He is not one for spontaneous actions so when he walked through the front door I knew something was wrong. My first thought was that someone had died. He then explained what he had done by splurging and getting both desks, BUT on the way home going up a small hill the drop front desk had slid toward the rear hatch (which had not properly latched and flew out the back of the van landing in the middle of the street in pieces. He was horrified. Fortunately the desk landed back side to the ground and even though it broke into several pieces each piece was intact and we were able to put it back together. It has graced our home for 20+ years. As with most calamities in life we look at each other and said, "It will make a good story!" and it did.
12 Likes   September 3, 2014 at 7:24AM
jillpy
Ultimately, it depends on space and needs. It can be a "nice to have" decorative piece, a functional mail drop zone, a "must have" mini office in a small space, or a painfully cramped space if you need a full office. It's versatile, but doesn't always make sense; to each their own!

Personally, I need a full office because I prefer using double screens and have a lot of books, papers, and things to store; but it would also be nice to have a secretary desk in addition to keep important papers/bills to take care of in a not-so-cluttered area and can be hidden away.
2 Likes   September 3, 2014 at 8:08AM
ardislaine
My husband inherited a large 18th century, dark oak English secretary desk many years ago. This desk has followed us through several moves, but was a challenge to place....so ended up in out-of-the way spots in our home. When we built our current home (modified timber frame) we designed a front hallway nook for a roll-top desk we also had, but quickly saw that desk was too small for the space. The large secretary meanwhile sat in the library/office waiting for its final resting place. On a hunch I thought it might work in the front hallway. We measured carefully and moved the desk once more, and there it remains. My antique glass and china is displayed behind glass, under lock and key (the original key) in the upper cabinet, while our car keys, bills to be paid, etc. sit in the cubbyholes below (and the drop-down front remains raised to hide the clutter). The four rows of drawers below that hold everything from old china to owner's manuals and instruction booklets. The secretary is old, useful, and certainly draws attention in its place of honour.
5 Likes   September 3, 2014 at 9:39AM
momof5x
I had one years back and it was very much used! We had it on the porch one time too as it was great for writing out letters while in the breeze!

Now, I have two class desks, one similar to the secretary one in that it has cubby holes and small drawers, and the other is for my writing. Both also very much used.
1 Like   September 3, 2014 at 9:58AM
Zita Czunyi
Az én szekreterem , nagyon szeretem!
3 Likes   September 3, 2014 at 10:49AM
Zita Czunyi
Tökéletesen megfelel az internetezéshez!
2 Likes   September 3, 2014 at 10:51AM
sombriel
I was lucky enough to find a 36' wide secretary to just fit a space between my kitchen and family room. It's a used beauty probably from the 20s, has three drawers, a little fold down desk top, cubbies for envelopes and a top big enough to hold baskets for assorted papers that accumulate. We have other desks but this is the spot where we keep stuff that we want to find in a hurry. A bulletin board hangs above it with a calendar. It's perfect.
3 Likes   September 3, 2014 at 12:48PM
thedarlingsbecca
Here's photos of lady's secretary desk I described above:
2 Likes   September 3, 2014 at 2:28PM
thedarlingsbecca
here's last photo:
1 Like   September 3, 2014 at 2:32PM
Kathleen
Think out side the box. Doesn't have to be used as a desk. Great storage, love them in entry ways. Bed side table open when you need it, closed to hide the clutter. Play room organizer.
4 Likes   September 3, 2014 at 5:56PM
edithsmom
Several years ago, I inherited my mother-in-law's cherry wood reproduction Governor Winthrop drop front desk. It was her cherished possession and she knew how much I, too, admired it. Now it has a special place in our open dining/living room where I store table linens in the drawers.
3 Likes   September 3, 2014 at 7:12PM
bigredkate
Hoping that by the time I retire I will have gone paperless enough to have a secretaire. Perfect size for a laptop.
1 Like   September 4, 2014 at 12:28AM
joannechamberlin
Very handsome piece- is it an option? What size?-Joanie
0 Likes   September 4, 2014 at 8:46AM
valerie5pluscat
I inherited a dark cherry governor's winthrop desk. I keep tall margarita glasses and infrequently used items in this in a spare bedroom/office. Unfortunately the double glass front doors are missing the key to keep the doors closed. Still wondering how to find a replacement key that looks authentic.
0 Likes   September 4, 2014 at 11:12AM
kkaccordion
I have one. I store envelopes etc in it all neat & organized. But I bought a desk to work at instead. I like it better so I guess I didn't really need the secretary.
1 Like   September 4, 2014 at 2:52PM
Gretchen Maurer
yes Kathleen, I have one as a dresser. the top holds my nail polish and a basket of stuff and the drawers below are perfect to ladies under things. socks..etc...I have shelves in my closet for jeans and t-shirts etc...small stuff goes in my secretary/vanity!
1 Like   September 4, 2014 at 5:27PM
cljakl
I have a Mission Oak one that I inherited from from my great grand mother. Love it. We use it for misc supplies in the office. I don't think I would go out and buy one though.
1 Like   September 5, 2014 at 2:17PM
aquadrmr
I am using my Grandmother's Birdseye Maple secretary as my dressing table. It's home is in a dormer where it fits perfectly & all the cubbies organize my makeup. The drawer is for hair brushes & curling irons. Fabulous !!
2 Likes   September 5, 2014 at 9:57PM
walnuttown
When I was very young newly wed, I was touring a furniture store where I discovered my first secretary. It was immediate adoration (I like to think both ways) and I had to have it. Fast forward 40 years and I discover that it is actually a tiny knock off of a famous piece in museums. I have moved many times since I bought that secretary and even in this, our retirement home, it has a place and is still magnificent!
2 Likes   September 6, 2014 at 5:35AM
radharani108
My Mom got this desk when I was small. Now it is in my bedroom and holds office supplies, misc stuff, medicines, journals, jewelry-making supplies, and more :)
1 Like   September 6, 2014 at 9:12AM
laur27
Love them because it seems like each one is unique, and you can customize it to make it your own personal space.
1 Like   September 6, 2014 at 9:19PM
deepusaini081
Deepsaini
0 Likes   September 6, 2014 at 11:44PM
alwaysdesigning
I love the small secretary I got to use as a vanity in the bedroom. It stores my makeup in the dropdown and i use it every day. The drawers underneath are wonderful to keep all my extra supplies hidden away. I painted the exterior in metallic Rustoleum Soft Iron matte, and the drop down interior in Brushed Silver. Love it
1 Like   September 7, 2014 at 12:27AM
Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
Love them but have to have a great place for them!
0 Likes   September 14, 2014 at 3:16PM
kitchenmissus
Pretty useless and I have 2.
0 Likes   September 14, 2014 at 6:07PM
Susan
I like the one we have, as it was passed down from previous generations. However, I don't think I would go out and buy one.
0 Likes   September 14, 2014 at 6:13PM
Judy Shepherd
I have two, my mother's and mine.
0 Likes   September 14, 2014 at 6:14PM
Gerry Ryan
I have my Aunt's secretary which was her fathers. love it.
0 Likes   September 14, 2014 at 7:07PM
Lani Dean
I have a beautiful mahogany one passed down to me. I probably would have bought one if this one had not been given to me
0 Likes   September 14, 2014 at 7:32PM
Mimi Denman
My mother has two and I have always loved them
0 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 9:06AM
tlm072184
I'm addicted to desks. Love secretary desks especially! But my burning question... That front door color is amazing! Can you share brand & name of it? Thank you!
0 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 12:14PM
Noor Faris
my parents had one we didn't realy use it for the kids it mean troubles for smaal spaces there's more practical prices
0 Likes   September 17, 2014 at 10:42AM
xavalexa
I have one inherited from my grandmother. I love it. It has a slide out desk disguised as a drawer, lots of display space & drawers. Sounds huge, but not really- it's just right & has great storage. Somehow it always finds a place. (My grandparents always lived in rather small apartments actually). While I don't use it as a desk, the compartments inside are handy, and I like the fact that the desk slides out with a small drop front, rather than having a whole drop front. As soon as I get the walls painted, it will be in my tiny house living/dining area or my bedroom (haven't decided yet.). This one is very similar:
1 Like   October 15, 2014 at 7:05PM
FurreverYours
I would want one since they are great for hidden storage but with a modern, updated look. #BeSeenBeSafe
0 Likes   October 19, 2014 at 12:13AM
judyidaho
My secretary desk is now in the guest room. The area behind the glass doors is where my special teddy bears are kept, the middle section is where I store envelopes and greeting cards and I keep gift bags, tissue paper and ribbons in the lower section. I love having all those things stored in one place and I think it looks nice in the guest bedroom.
1 Like   October 19, 2014 at 8:57PM
carolpatrice
i have one dated around 40's time frame. i just moved into a little cottage by the water. i plan to paint it white and then add a different color on each drawer.
1 Like   November 6, 2014 at 9:50AM
Mark
I love my secretary desk. We use it all the time.
1 Like   November 7, 2014 at 3:24AM
POLL: Standing Desks - Yes or No?
Standing desks have become more popular as people have...
POLL: Pet Peek for a BATHROOM door? YES or NO?
Bathrooms are a place to shout your personality and...
Potty Mouth Tours
POLL: Trophy Rooms - Yes or No?
How do you feel about trophy rooms at home? http://www.houzz.com/photos/5916185/Longwoods-traditional-home-office-houston...
Poll: Tub in Master Bath? Yes? Or NO?
I am posting this again as a poll so it is easier to...
Gruene Valley Blinds and Design
POLL: Painted Floors - Yes or No?
What do you think of painted floors? Are they a big...
Ideas for a 200 sq foot guest house/casita floor plans
We are in the process of building a 200 square foot...
akinnie
Removing kitchen tile floor without damaging or removing cabinets
I am moving into my new home next month and I do not...
Jessica
white thermofoil kitchen cabinets
my cabinets are BRIGHT white thermofoil. It's too...
whiteykitchen
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
I have a very small pantry cabinet. i want to add drawers
I WANT TO TAKE OUT THE SHELVES IN MY PANTRY CABINET...
catinlap