White walls, white ceiling, white trim. Help needed ASAP!
jordanshea518August 27, 2014
We moved in to our new house over a month ago and I swore I would paint within the first week. I absolutely hate the wall color currently and it is driving me nuts! I am a fan of crisp white walls and more of the young modern look.
(Picture this) http://southernweddings.com/2014/05/23/southern-newlywed-home-caroline-joy/

We are getting a quote this week to paint the walls, but I don't know if we need to ask them for ceiling, trim work, chair/rail, etc. Does it need to be the same color as the walls? Or are they brighter usually? I am looking at BM white dove especially, but am open to other whites.

I know the kitchen will look absolutely terrible in the space once we paint everything white, but that is our next project.
Ecstaci Davis Interior Design Services (EDIDS)
generally, the wall color is just a hair darker than the trim and molding in order to make the trim "pop". just a suggestion: you could ask the paint store to add a touch of gray (little or a lot according to your preference and level of desired contrast) to the BM white dove; use that mixture as your custom wall color and paint the trim the actual white dove color.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jordanshea518    August 27, 2014 at 7:00AM
jn3344
Your inspiration photo has just a little contrast between the woodwork and the walls. EDIDS has the right idea. If you don't want to chance a custom formula you can probably find a BM white that will provide just the right amount of contrast to your white dove trim.

I would do the ceiling the same color as the walls.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jordanshea518    August 27, 2014 at 7:11AM
Arianne Bellizaire Interiors
Hi @jordanshea518! The great things is that you know your preferred design aesthetic. Clean and modern will be easy to achieve with a little paint and a lot of planning.

A few things I would suggest you consider before you get the quote:

1) Think long-term and long-range. If you know that you will eventually want to do the kitchen, think about what that kitchen should look and feel like before you commit to the color of the adjacent room. In fact, because kitchens tend to be the most expensive and labor intensive renovation projects, I would get a firm handle on that design FIRST and let the other room support the elements chosen for the kitchen.

2) I like to find a good, solid base wall color and then choose a trim color two "steps" above that color or ask the paint company to give you the base color at 25% (meaning the color is tinted to be a lighter version of the wall color). This ensures that your trim and wall color all have the same undertones and don't compete.

3) Since you like clean and modern, ask how expensive or difficult it would be to remove the chair rail. Removing those "seam" lines will get you closer to that clean, modern look.

Hope this helps!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jordanshea518    August 27, 2014 at 7:12AM
jordanshea518
All this is great help! I will talk to the paint co. and see if we can come up with a custom paint color. I like the idea of just doing one shade up from the trim.

We already know our kitchen is probably going to have dark wood (basically black) wood with white or light grey subway tile backsplash. I am not sure what kind of countertops just yet, but obviously they will be along that color scheme- possibly white or grey marble/silestone.

We do not want to put too much money into the house, as it is just a starter home. But it is in a very nice area and we want to fix it up a bit to get more out of it than we bought it for. Plus right now it is just not working for me ha! So we need to figure out how to do all these things without completely tearing down the kitchen.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 7:37AM
chennie
Which white color looks great for walls (cloud white or dove white)
Hi - we have a traditional ranch house with lots of...
Ishantha Lokuge
If I want white walls and white trim do the whites have to be the same
I am so excited to be painting the walls and trim in...
cvcooper
Need Help. Bright White Trim with Antique White Picture Frames?
Hi, we have SW Latte colored walls with a bright white...
Sheila Lorine
Keeping 1940's charm in kitchen that needs bringing into 21st century
This kitchen has the same characteristics as the rest...
Sue Casseau
Cocktail ottoman
I want to add a cocktail ottoman to this room but am...
supersusan66
Need help with what pieces of furniture to add and layout for new livi
We've been remodeling an entire house for over a year...
Jamie Romines
Loft
My home has an area according to the plans is a 3rd...
Mel Weisblatt
Family room too dark
Any suggestions on how I can make this room look better...
kim2543