White walls, white ceiling, white trim. Help needed ASAP!

jordanshea518August 27, 2014
We moved in to our new house over a month ago and I swore I would paint within the first week. I absolutely hate the wall color currently and it is driving me nuts! I am a fan of crisp white walls and more of the young modern look.
(Picture this)
http://southernweddings.com/2014/05/23/southern-newlywed-home-caroline-joy/

We are getting a quote this week to paint the walls, but I don't know if we need to ask them for ceiling, trim work, chair/rail, etc. Does it need to be the same color as the walls? Or are they brighter usually? I am looking at BM white dove especially, but am open to other whites.

I know the kitchen will look absolutely terrible in the space once we paint everything white, but that is our next project.
Ecstaci Davis Interior Design Services (EDIDS)
generally, the wall color is just a hair darker than the trim and molding in order to make the trim "pop". just a suggestion: you could ask the paint store to add a touch of gray (little or a lot according to your preference and level of desired contrast) to the BM white dove; use that mixture as your custom wall color and paint the trim the actual white dove color.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jordanshea518    August 27, 2014 at 7:00AM
jn3344
Your inspiration photo has just a little contrast between the woodwork and the walls. EDIDS has the right idea. If you don't want to chance a custom formula you can probably find a BM white that will provide just the right amount of contrast to your white dove trim.

I would do the ceiling the same color as the walls.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jordanshea518    August 27, 2014 at 7:11AM
Arianne Bellizaire Interiors
Hi @jordanshea518! The great things is that you know your preferred design aesthetic. Clean and modern will be easy to achieve with a little paint and a lot of planning.

A few things I would suggest you consider before you get the quote:

1) Think long-term and long-range. If you know that you will eventually want to do the kitchen, think about what that kitchen should look and feel like before you commit to the color of the adjacent room. In fact, because kitchens tend to be the most expensive and labor intensive renovation projects, I would get a firm handle on that design FIRST and let the other room support the elements chosen for the kitchen.

2) I like to find a good, solid base wall color and then choose a trim color two "steps" above that color or ask the paint company to give you the base color at 25% (meaning the color is tinted to be a lighter version of the wall color). This ensures that your trim and wall color all have the same undertones and don't compete.

3) Since you like clean and modern, ask how expensive or difficult it would be to remove the chair rail. Removing those "seam" lines will get you closer to that clean, modern look.

Hope this helps!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by jordanshea518    August 27, 2014 at 7:12AM
jordanshea518
All this is great help! I will talk to the paint co. and see if we can come up with a custom paint color. I like the idea of just doing one shade up from the trim.

We already know our kitchen is probably going to have dark wood (basically black) wood with white or light grey subway tile backsplash. I am not sure what kind of countertops just yet, but obviously they will be along that color scheme- possibly white or grey marble/silestone.

We do not want to put too much money into the house, as it is just a starter home. But it is in a very nice area and we want to fix it up a bit to get more out of it than we bought it for. Plus right now it is just not working for me ha! So we need to figure out how to do all these things without completely tearing down the kitchen.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 7:37AM
Need help choosing white for cabinets in room with cloud white walls
Can anyone recommend a tint of white that would work...
Dana
Help Plz! Need help with choosing white colored paint 4 wall & ceiling
Hello. I would really appreciate some advice. My husband...
tinychicken
Help with an ideal white ceiling color and white trim for bungalow
I need help deciding on an allover white ceiling and...
Barbara Whitaker
Need help asap selecting 3 complimentary shades of Sherwin Williams White
Hello. I am new to Houzz. We are redoing a house we...
Trysh
white kitchen ceiling needs the right white
Hi, I need help soon! I need to chose a paint color...
nicanderson
Starting from scratch
Hi, my first post! We have a new build house and a...
emmauk
~@ FULL TOP HIT'S[MEGASHARE] Chinderella ONLINE FREE
Chinderella (2015) at #Megashare #Solarmovie #Viooz...
sunbokong
You won't hurt my feelings....
Struggling w bedding to "go with" my rug of many years....
dnamama
Need help for my bedroom!
I'm looking for help with pretty much anything/everything....
mj3377
Kitchen blue? Is it too much?
This blue I chose when the kitchen was enclosed by...
Josie Bohling
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Lighting. Farm and Home 1-light 14 in. Silver Hanging Reflector light
$42.97 | Home Depot
Moulan 3-lt Chandelier
LBC Lighting
Hyper Links Tapered Drum Giclee Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Savoy House Bancroft Transitional Chandelier
1800Lighting
Dform PL40 Scales Pendant
LBC Lighting
Distressed White 3-Light 17 Flush mount
PLFixtures
Swag Style Gray Retro Lattice Giclee Plug-In Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Parker House Aries Faux Leather Glider Recliner - MARI#812G-BC
$562.40 | Hayneedle