Help! please! Living Room/ Family Room Crisis
mpelpt
We can not figure how to decorate or remodel this wall. We have an open concept floor plan. One side of the fireplace measures around 81 inches the other is 25.5 inches.
apple_pie_order
Spacious room. Do you have more photos showing each of the walls? Have you settled on a budget range yet?
   August 27, 2014 at 8:20AM
mpelpt
Yes it is spacious. We built the house about a year ago bit we were:justlost when we realized the space on each side of the fireplace.
Budget? As little as possible for now.:)
   August 27, 2014 at 9:32AM
mpelpt
Hope these pictures help
   August 27, 2014 at 9:34AM
apple_pie_order
Thanks for photos and additional info. I would try a few things here. 1- move tan sofa to face the tv; the white one can stay where it is. 2- tape up a piece of 72" black felt (2 yards, $12) behind the tv to see if you like a dark background there like a theater has or if you prefer the light color. 3- hang a tall piece of art just a bit skinnier than the fireplace over the mantel (the stick has some meaning? maybe it can be mounted over the tv instead) - look around the house to see if you already own something that will fit and look good. Otherwise, try the discount shops or Ikea for a wall hanging, mirror, or large art piece. Tape up some newspaper so you can measure what size would be the right proportion. 4- move the knick knacks over the shelves to some other locations. Perhaps they can be rotated seasonally into the bookcase for display.
   Thanked by mpelpt    August 27, 2014 at 9:57AM
trinhlisa
hang tv above fireplace, add flowers photos etc whrre the tv currently is, it brings the focus away from the tv and more into the fireplace and decorations. the tv shouldnt be the main item in the room
   Thanked by mpelpt    August 27, 2014 at 10:17AM
mpelpt
I actually have our family photo hanging over the fireplace but removed it for the picture on here.
The stick has no meaning we just used it to hang out stockings last year for Christmas.
I will move the couch around.
We have thought about putting stone on the fireplace or wrapping it in hardline board. Along with putting the tv on the fireplace.
Also we have debating on ripping out where the tv is currently . We just don't know what to do with such a odd area if we move the tv over fireplace.
Thanks so much for the in put.
   August 27, 2014 at 10:31AM
You don't need to do anything major here. Keep the configuration you have, and keep the TV where it is. You simply need to balance the sides. Start by removing all the shelves on the right and fill the space with a single tall object. Then paint the molding around both openings to match the walls and draw less attention to the difference in shapes.
2 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 1:06PM
mpelpt
Wow! I would never have thought of that. Thank you so much for adding the visual that helps me a lot!
   August 27, 2014 at 1:40PM
And please make the single tall object NOT be a vase with sticks. Sooooooo overdone. Find something interesting: a hand-built ceramic pot or tall antique or a didgeridoo...
1 Like   August 27, 2014 at 1:59PM
mpelpt
Man the sticks would have been easy. Haha Thanks again!!
1 Like   August 27, 2014 at 2:05PM
Please help: Living room and Family Room Layout
Hi Everyone. Hoping you can help with my dilemma... I...
Furniture layout for living room/family room ...Help please
We have recently made out old home open concept. I...
Please help with Living/Family Room
Hi there, I would love some thoughts and advice on...
Please help me with our family/living room
We built this home about 3 years ago and I think I...
Please help make this strange living room work for our family.
This living room was strangely designed, but we want...
House design
Just bought a field (505m2 = 5443sf) with lot of nature...
Carrera Marble Alternative?
Can anyone recommend an alternative to carrera marble...
You spilled WHAT? WHERE?
I'm always horrified at the notion of spilling something...
Help furnish living room in new construction
I am general contractor and sister of homeowner in...
Small Space
Keep neutral colored walls for small spaces. Small...