Kitchen update? Yes or no?
nmsg
I tried posting a bit ago but my pics didn't upload. I love our kitchen but it's so dark! I love the look of a white kitchen but am worried about painting and it chipping and/or how it would hold up with 3 little boys. Should we just do it? Change counters? We also need a backsplash - just not sure what material but feel like we need to decide what we are doing with cab/counters before we do backsplash. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Oh - and I LOVE this houzz image…in my dream world!
Traditional Kitchen by New York Interior Designers & Decorators Michelle Winick Design
sstarr93
Well,you could refinish them as white cabs, which might make sense.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 5:25PM
printesa
The cabinets look in good shape, so I wouldn't paint them. Change the counter to something light (white would be nice). Do a quick search here for kitchens/click on dark cabinets option and you will see a number of options.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 5:34PM
beachlily
Beautiful cabinetry...I wouldn't paint them. I'd replace some upper cabinet doors with glass doors and lighting....I'd add a crackled white subway tile backsplash. Under cabinet lighting will help.

. Enjoy those little guys of yours:)
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 5:35PM
beachlily
Oops forgot... I WOULD paint island a cream color or white. If you want to change countertops go whitish quartz or maybe a marble look quartz.

Ok, done now:)
    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 5:36PM
abbyjean
I am going to ask you to try something and this will be tough! I will be honest right upfront with you. Walk around your kitchen tonight when you have the space to yourself and remove ten items from the counter top. TEN! Either find a new home for them in another room or a home for them inside a cupboard. Tomorrow morning when the sun is shining, take a look at your kitchen and see if it feels lighter to you. That is my only suggestion as I love the cupboards, counter and all of it!!!
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 6:00PM
2014diane
The cabinets are nice, I would replace the counters. If you paint the cabinets white I think you will still need to redo the counters so you will not be saving money.
    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 6:21PM
grobby
It doesn't look as if you gave any direct natural light in the kitchen. I would hire a good painter ( ask at the paint store ) and paint gage cabinets a beautiful white. Don't be afraid yo paint wood. It isn't a sin, Lol.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 6:31PM
halfpint2
Backsplash! I agree with Abbyjean, removing items from counters top will help. I love the cabinets.
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 6:38PM
I would leave the cabinets and the counters.
What I would do:
Declutter, add white subway tile backsplash, paint island lighter color, add pendant lighting over counter bar area. With all the money saved, I would purchase a new counter depth refrigerator, sans the magnets. Your current behemouth is swallowing up to much premium space;)
6 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 6:41PM
pafarmhouse
I wouldn't replace the cabinets or countertops, at least not yet. I think the cabinets are quite pretty, and in suspect the "white kitchen" phase is going to pass in a few years. A light colored backsplash would brighten up the room somewhat, as might different lighting. You might also want to go a shade lighter on the wall paint. I agree with de-cluttering the countertops and the side of the refrigerator.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 6:42PM
wantsideas
What is the rest of your home like especially close to this kitchen? Crown moldings, traditional, modern, etc?
    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 6:59PM
mommaslice
I think you don't like the cabinets and granite because of the wall color. If you pick a different color, plus put beadboard on the outside of countertop, plus tie the counter/cabinets/new paint color with a backsplash, then you will love it. It has good bones. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 7:15PM
Carol
I agree with others, don't paint or change counters yet. Except maybe paint the island cabinets. Declutter, swap the fridge for a counter depth, & backsplash tile. Unless you want to spend money for painting cabinets & new counters & tile.
    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 7:16PM
Kitchen is beautiful. Needs serious decluttering, which you will do when you repaint. Not the cabinets, but the walls. You have a serious green undertone which is popping the red in the wood. You actually might try changing the light bulbs first. Try a daylight bulb with a color temperature of 5000K. If that doesn't help, paint the walls greige.
    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 7:40PM
Green begone.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 7:53PM
jonathan3
groveraxle, that is beautiful, simple, and easy on the budget!
    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 8:13PM
makaloco
Cabinets and counters are lovely. The main problem is the greenish wall paint. Try a barely off-white or very light cream, and similar for the backsplash. Beef up the lighting if you must. Decluttering ... sigh ... with three little boys?
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 8:15PM
adivra
If you decide on new counters, change to a counter height bar which will give you a lot more space and be safer for little kids.
    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 8:44PM
How do I update my kitchen?
I have a 20 year old kitchen with lipped oak raised...
jaltenbach
POLL: Black Interior Doors - Yes or No?
This seems to be a hot button issue for more than a...
Yes or no? Should we keep the oak railings or remove them?
The railings are between the kitchen and family room....
sweetwist
MIxing fixture finishes - Yes or No?
We see a lot of design dilemmas about whether or not...
Are books/magazines in bathroom a No-No or a Yes-Yes?
The final days of our recent bathroom re-model are...
mcacusher
Need help with fireplace placement in living room
Hi There, We are building our new home and need...
parul_apan
Outdoor kitchen
I am in the preliminary stages of designing a small...
lizahare
Need help how to furnish and design my living room, please help!
I want to design and furnish our living room and I...
Keso
How to seperate and decor rooms
I have this small place for a living room and for kitchen...
Eva Fakiolaki
Help choosing a rug, lamps and coffee table, please
Howdy all. This is my current living room, pictured...
pennywurst