Kitchen update? Yes or no?
nmsg
August 27, 2014
I tried posting a bit ago but my pics didn't upload. I love our kitchen but it's so dark! I love the look of a white kitchen but am worried about painting and it chipping and/or how it would hold up with 3 little boys. Should we just do it? Change counters? We also need a backsplash - just not sure what material but feel like we need to decide what we are doing with cab/counters before we do backsplash. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Oh - and I LOVE this houzz image…in my dream world!
Traditional Kitchen by New York Interior Designers & Decorators Michelle Winick Design
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
sstarr93
Well,you could refinish them as white cabs, which might make sense.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 5:25PM
printesa
The cabinets look in good shape, so I wouldn't paint them. Change the counter to something light (white would be nice). Do a quick search here for kitchens/click on dark cabinets option and you will see a number of options.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 5:34PM
beachlily
Beautiful cabinetry...I wouldn't paint them. I'd replace some upper cabinet doors with glass doors and lighting....I'd add a crackled white subway tile backsplash. Under cabinet lighting will help.

. Enjoy those little guys of yours:)
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 5:35PM
beachlily
Oops forgot... I WOULD paint island a cream color or white. If you want to change countertops go whitish quartz or maybe a marble look quartz.

Ok, done now:)
    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 5:36PM
abbyjean
I am going to ask you to try something and this will be tough! I will be honest right upfront with you. Walk around your kitchen tonight when you have the space to yourself and remove ten items from the counter top. TEN! Either find a new home for them in another room or a home for them inside a cupboard. Tomorrow morning when the sun is shining, take a look at your kitchen and see if it feels lighter to you. That is my only suggestion as I love the cupboards, counter and all of it!!!
6 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 6:00PM
2014diane
The cabinets are nice, I would replace the counters. If you paint the cabinets white I think you will still need to redo the counters so you will not be saving money.
    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 6:21PM
grobby
It doesn't look as if you gave any direct natural light in the kitchen. I would hire a good painter ( ask at the paint store ) and paint gage cabinets a beautiful white. Don't be afraid yo paint wood. It isn't a sin, Lol.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 6:31PM
halfpint2
Backsplash! I agree with Abbyjean, removing items from counters top will help. I love the cabinets.
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 6:38PM
Margo
I would leave the cabinets and the counters.
What I would do:
Declutter, add white subway tile backsplash, paint island lighter color, add pendant lighting over counter bar area. With all the money saved, I would purchase a new counter depth refrigerator, sans the magnets. Your current behemouth is swallowing up to much premium space;)
6 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 6:41PM
pafarmhouse
I wouldn't replace the cabinets or countertops, at least not yet. I think the cabinets are quite pretty, and in suspect the "white kitchen" phase is going to pass in a few years. A light colored backsplash would brighten up the room somewhat, as might different lighting. You might also want to go a shade lighter on the wall paint. I agree with de-cluttering the countertops and the side of the refrigerator.
3 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 6:42PM
wantsideas
What is the rest of your home like especially close to this kitchen? Crown moldings, traditional, modern, etc?
    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 6:59PM
mommaslice
I think you don't like the cabinets and granite because of the wall color. If you pick a different color, plus put beadboard on the outside of countertop, plus tie the counter/cabinets/new paint color with a backsplash, then you will love it. It has good bones. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 7:15PM
PRO
Carol
I agree with others, don't paint or change counters yet. Except maybe paint the island cabinets. Declutter, swap the fridge for a counter depth, & backsplash tile. Unless you want to spend money for painting cabinets & new counters & tile.
    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 7:16PM
groveraxle
Kitchen is beautiful. Needs serious decluttering, which you will do when you repaint. Not the cabinets, but the walls. You have a serious green undertone which is popping the red in the wood. You actually might try changing the light bulbs first. Try a daylight bulb with a color temperature of 5000K. If that doesn't help, paint the walls greige.
    Bookmark   Thanked by nmsg    August 27, 2014 at 7:40PM
groveraxle
Green begone.
2 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 7:53PM
jonathan3
groveraxle, that is beautiful, simple, and easy on the budget!
    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 8:13PM
makaloco
Cabinets and counters are lovely. The main problem is the greenish wall paint. Try a barely off-white or very light cream, and similar for the backsplash. Beef up the lighting if you must. Decluttering ... sigh ... with three little boys?
4 Likes    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 8:15PM
adivra
If you decide on new counters, change to a counter height bar which will give you a lot more space and be safer for little kids.
    Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 8:44PM