House repaint
marcibg
Please help! We have recently purchased a new weekend river home. It hasn't been occupied for about 4 years. I want to repaint the entire interior to give it a newer feel. It is coming furnished so I can take my time with furniture. Want to create a relaxing and shabby chic look. Taking all wallpaper down in bathrooms and want all paint. Any suggestions for colors? I only want one or two for entire house. 5 bedrooms and baths. Thinking white or light greys as the exterior is grey and I love the contrast of the two as well as a neutral palette . I am most familiar with Benjamin moore paints. Any suggestions are welcome! I attached a few pictures. Thank you!!!
Marino Homebuilders
Beautiful house. Looks like your interior may have great light at certain times of day and low light in others. Be careful with the grays as light can do funny things with them. I recently did a house in Revere Pewter BM and it was perfect in some rooms and purple in others. Another house I did in SW White Duck with much better results. Not a paint maker issue, just lighting! So, buy lots of samples for different times of days and rooms.
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 5:47AM
CDR Design
Gorgeous place with so much potential!!

I also love BM Revere Pewter and recently did an entire condo in it. I find it can look a little green at times, but part of its beauty is that it takes on several tones throughout the day and in different rooms.

Another color similar I love is Behr Perfect Taupe. It never looks green or pink. A true taupe, leaning more grey

You can paint the gold on the fireplace with Rustoleum High Heat paint.

Your best friend are several pieces of 4x6 drywall. Buy the light version (not as much weight).

Do not paint the walls in samples. Paint the pieces of drywall. Choose three different colors you think might work. Paint the three samples. Move them around in different places at different times of the day.

Be careful to keep the building elements clean and and "chic". Keep the "shabby"to furniture only.
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 6:05AM
marcibg
Funny you all both mentioned revere pewter because it was one in the running! What other colors would you suggest? Did stonington grey in my daughters nursery and I love it. Lots of light in the house as the sun sets right over the river! Would revere pewter look purple?!!!
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 11:06AM
CDR Design
Here are 2 more in the BM that you might try (in the Williamsburg collection)

Bruton White cw 710
Bone Black cw 715

also

cumulus cloud 1550

I cannot say what how revere pewter would look in your home. There are so many factors that go into that. Best way is to try, as I said above, a few colors on pieces of drywall. That help you narrow it down and send you in the right direction.

Happy to take a look, once you have your samples painted.

How fun to have this weekend place!
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 11:36AM
marcibg
Thank you all so much! Going tomorrow to check it out!
1 Like   August 28, 2014 at 1:00PM
CDR Design
I see this photo as one inspiration of how your fireplace wall could look. Not this formal, but this idea.

]
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 1:11PM
marcibg
I like that! I don't like the black fireplace or the gold. Or the orange back walls! Thinking of painting fireplace white or light grey and changing gold to silver. Or take that piece off. What other suggestions for the fireplace?
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 1:17PM
CDR Design
I looked at your idea book. Actually, you aren't shabby chic. More like the style above, ironically.

I don't know what type of fireplace it is......but wood or gas, you have to have either a screen or a door.

Easy quick fix is to paint it in Rustoleum High Heat paint. You might consider also getting new doors altogether for a more modern look.

You could even convert convert it to gas or electric and add fire glass.

For the surround, the possibilities are endless. You could have it tiled in reflective glass tiles for a very sleek look, stone for a more organic look. Endless.

First, I would get it inspected and see what your options are.
[houzz=Palo Alto Traditional[houzz=Modern Glam[houzz=fireplace]
0 Likes   August 28, 2014 at 1:28PM
marcibg
Love that you looked at and can see my idea book. Those are mostly for my current home. As the river home is a weekend retreat I want it to be different than my work week home. Thinking of painting it all white so I am free to accent with bedding and curtains or whatever I want. Anyone do this? Or have any white recommendations?
0 Likes   August 29, 2014 at 2:58PM
0 Likes   August 29, 2014 at 8:55PM
marcibg
How do you even start with choosing a white? I love the white on white idea but I am overwhelmed with all of the options? I am leaning towards a pure white but how do I know if it makes an antiseptic look or not?
0 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 11:40AM
CDR Design
Well, it is easier if you have a starting point. You can start with this process:

You already have white woodwork. Are you changing that? If it is in good shape, you probably don't want to go to the expense of changing all that (I am just guessing).

So, next, look at what is on the walls now. For example, do you like the shade the living room is now? Sort of a cream?

Next, look at what furiture you have. What shade of white goes with it? More gray or more cream?

Finally, look on Houzz for photos of white rooms you like. Often they will list the paint color, if not, you can try to find one that looks like it.

Does that help.
0 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 11:47AM
marcibg
Yes. It does. Painting all trim and entire home from scratch. All furniture is coming with home but will eventually get changed. I assume walls and trim if done white should be painted the same color white. My eye likes a pure white over a cream or yellows white. But I am not sure if that will make the home look sterile. It's a river home and I want it to be relaxing. Can't pick out a different color for every room. I think I like white or decorators white. Or farrow and ball wevet. Like a pure white
0 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 12:06PM
marcibg
Maybe my best bet is to match the white of the mantle and cabinets as I want to paint the black brick fireplace white as well? And they both should match right?
0 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 12:10PM
Jacque Berg
Definitely check out White Dove Benjamin Moore. It is "whiter" than the sample pictured.
I just saw a house painted entirely that color except the den and interestingly they used Revere Pewter for that room! It looked great.
0 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 12:25PM
Jacque Berg
Oh, and they painted their brick fireplace white dove as well. Used a thick piece of reclaimed wood for a low profile mantle. It was beautiful
0 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 12:27PM
marcibg
Did they use white dove for the walls and trim. Would love to see the house and the revere pewter room as well!
0 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 12:31PM
marcibg
And the white fireplace! Sounds beautiful!
0 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 12:31PM
marcibg
Here is another view of the space. Thinking simply white by BM. Maybe doing bedrooms revere pewter, stonington grey or purbeck stone. Is it uncommon to do all bedrooms and bathrooms the same color? I want tranquility here and not a lot of different colors throughout but I also don't want it to look sterile.
0 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 4:38PM
CDR Design
I am not sure what you are saying about matching the mantle......that is part of the trim, right?

Yes, you can paint your entire house one color. Gives a sense of calm and cohesion. Smart in many other ways also, as it creates a blank slate for you. Finally, the outdoors is the centerpiece here, so neutral is the way to go.

I think you could just go with painting the house all one color. Don't see a need to paint the bedrooms an alternate color.

Note in the following photos that floor color is similar to yours.

all BM paints

trim: Acadia White
walls: Reverve Pewter
ceiling: Edgecomb Gray

]
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 2:43AM
CDR Design
Trim: white dove
walls and ceilings: revere pewter

]
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 2:44AM
CDR Design
white dove and revere pewter again

houzz=
]
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 2:48AM
CDR Design
I recommend your trim in white dove. Here are three you could try for the wall. Try them on pieces of loose drywall first. I highly recommend painting the ceiling (the neglected 5th wall) either the wall color...or if you don't want to do that, a slightly lighter color.

For example, walls in revere pewter, ceiling natures essentials.

[houzz=Revere Pewter HC-172 Paint[houzz=Edgecomb Gray HC-173 Paint[houzz=Nature's Essentials 1521 Paint[houzz=white dove OC-17 Paint - Benjamin Moore white dove Paint Color Details]
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 2:54AM
marcibg
The second floor ceiling in the loft has that white popcorn like stuff. I think I am going to do the front living space all white as the walls trail into the kitchen and upstairs which also has an office/loft area. I don't even know how to change the color from room to room and want it peaceful and relaxing. I love the revere pewter and purbeck stone color from F&B. I don't think the popcorn ceiling is supposed to be painted a color other than white. Is it? I am not sure that I am going to pay to have it removed and I am nervous for ceiling painting while I do love the look in the pictures. How would I get boards up there to see the color?
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 3:06AM
CDR Design
Popcorn ceilings: I do know that the easiest way to paint them is to spray-paint them, which is tough in a house, if you already have furniture. Once you start painting them with a brush, the texture often starts to come off.

On the other hand, textured ceilings often over the years take on a gray tinge. I am afraid your white walls will make the ceiling look dingy.

Conclusion: I would not paint your walls pure white. You keep mentioning painting your walls white, but then you say "revere pewter". So, you are going with a light neutral like revere pewter or purbeck stone? Right?

I also would check into getting the popcorn ceiling removed, especially if it is a smaller area.
Maybe the price is not as bad as you think.

If you are not getting the popcorn removed, talk to the painter about the options for painting the ceiling/place the drywall board on the wall adjacent to the ceiling (maybe you could just leave the popcorn as it is), Finally, if you do want to paint the ceiling, you could paint a piece of poster board to place up there and have a look.

Does that help?
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 3:22AM
CDR Design
If you do get the popcorn removed from the ceiling, it would be really expensive to bring them back to smooth. The drywaller will likely remove the popcorn and then add a texture called "knockdown". It hides any flaws and looks and is a very light, inoffensive texture.
http://www.drywallschool.com/textures.htm
0 Likes   August 31, 2014 at 5:05AM
marcibg
I love the 4x6 drywall idea to move around the home! What finishes should I get for samples for painting? And do the drywall samples need to be primed prior to painting?
0 Likes   September 1, 2014 at 5:49AM
CDR Design
I like eggshell finish. I use that on all walls.

With a light color paint, you should be able to simply paint 2 coats. You could also prime first and then one coat, but you maybe still end up needing 2 coats.
0 Likes   September 1, 2014 at 6:33AM
how often do you have to repaint a brick house?
i just purchased a 1940's red brick cottage. it is...
cindydodom
What color would you repaint this house?
What color would you repaint the exterior of this ...
whit512
dinning room family room and sitting room needs repainting house is dark and dreary
house was b;uilt in the 90. my furniture is a hodge...
gingerl1
Brick house repaint and remortar
1938 Brick home San Diego California attempted sand...
msullivan55
I need to repaint my mid-70's ranch house
It has vertical siding with gray vinyl-clad windows,...
jenmettoad
i want to decorate my full bathroom with "BEACH SCENERY"
sea shells ,beach pictures, very modern decor,walls...
Kim Penna-Good
Home Office - Clashing over colors
I'm really having a problem with paint colors to bring...
alysin
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
stryker
Need DESPERATE HELP for dining room and living room
I moved into my first house last year and am a single...
schmoo11
Best thing to happen at home in 2014?
Our homes are where our lives unfold. What was the...