Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindybr

How do we address this dangerous ledge in sunken living room?

cindybr
12 years ago
The 1984 carpeting badly needs replacing, but we need to figure out what to do with this unsafe ledge first? Our solution for the last several years was to hide a piece of plywood behind an upright piano ;-). But the piano is gone... any ideas?? There are already railings on both sides of this very small, sunken living room, and we're afraid a 3rd railing will make it all too jail-like. Our youngest is 7 and a climber and our 13 yr old is vision-impaired, so it must be fixed. Thanks.

Comments (21)

• Liz Maguire
    12 years ago
    Cindybr, you could firmly anchor an open-back bookcase or similar cube display system that would create a physical barrier without closing the room in as much as a wall. I would consider removing the railing behind the sofa, especially if you decide a railing is what you need in place of the piano (I'm certain there was one there originally). I see that there is a step there, but with the sofa there now, or a thoughtful alternative furniture arrangement, you could maintain the visual clue to the step. When it's time to replace the carpet, other flooring materials may make that step more obvious and you could have more flexibility with the furniture arrangement. A change from the brown on brown on brown will also open the room up. Best wishes.
  • RO PE
    12 years ago
    i like the idea extend the wall up
    or frame it and glass couple inches high
    i am a handyman if you need help on that please
    e mail me at r66483@aol.com
    thank you
    Robert
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi Cindybr - being that the piano is gone you could have a wall ( or bookcase) built ( 42 inches high ) like what Dytecture showed and then you could top that with a mid -century style decorative screen to make it a feature. Maybe it's time to think about painting all the wood a white, to bring the place up- to - date. It would make the room look less closed in. And yes it would be better to have the old rug gone from every where ! Because the area is so small -- smaller scale more contemporary furniture would give you a little more room.And think about having some new draperies - full size and wider than the window - fill the wall as much as you can with a black iron or wood rod up higher over the window.Consider some new lighting . If the room is only One step down -- maybe you don't NEED the railing that's behind the sofa - it would make the room more open and updated if that was gone. Then I would put the sofa infront of the window with a chair backing into the corner beside the new ( bookcase ) wall .
  • mmonika
    12 years ago
    The idea of a bookcase built over the ledge is great! It offers you practical space for storage rather then introducing a half wall you'll always wonder what to do with.
    You could have some of the shelves of the bookcase open on the stair side alternating with shelves open on the living room. It would make things more intesting anyways.
  • heidisullivan
    12 years ago
    i would remove carpeting, build a base with beautiful trim to the same existing height of the lip on the ledge and build either built in bright white bookcases or cubbies that are double stacked.paint the window trim & existing railings bright white as well, remove the curtain to brighten the room a bit.you have great natural light in that room & removing the dark carpeting & adding bright white will make it look so much larger! =)
  • PRO
    Linda Berg Designs
    12 years ago
    I'm for the 1/2 wall/ book case idea... Like the idea that mmonkia suggested! would be super useful! You already have the depth being used by the piano...So the foot print won't change much.
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    Just to be clear --- I ment to have a book case instead of the half wall -- NOT putting one on top of the wall. With the open side facing the livingroom.
  • cindybr
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I like the bookcase/ half wall idea... and we can securely anchor it to the stub of the wall that is there.
    The drop into the Living room is 2 steps.. approximately 12", so we can't do away with some kind of railings. I know painting them white would open things up... but besides the wood of the rails being high quality... I love rustic woodsy (we're in Montana). I assume there's no good way to lighten a wood's stain?

Too bad they designed the house to have the staircase right there... but... it's there now! Thanks all!!
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    HI cindybr -- Sometimes you have to paint the wood to make things look better and lighter. It's OK- it's only paint and if the wood has been there for a long time it doesn't own you anything . Your room is very brown and could use a lift . Be brave , you won't be sorry ! I think you can get rid of the railing and have two steps down - just run the steps right across for a sunken livingroom . I had a sunken livingroom with two steps down - no problem. Yes ,you can use a wood bleach but you would have to remove the varnish before - lots of work .
  • RO PE
    12 years ago
    hi Cindy here is another idea
    same dilemma that one of my customer had
  • PRO
    Matt Patterson Custom Homes
    12 years ago
    No matter what you do the danger still remains if you have to step down into the living room. Best bet is to install a contrasting floor color and an uppoer and lower newel post joined by a foot of handrail on each end of the step. This will define the fact that there is a step there. To lighten the stain either strip and seal or paint a light color then gel stain it.
  • cindybr
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Hi RO PE... I'm not seeing what you're trying to show me? Unless it's to raise the floor back to level? (still have the staircase issue on both sides of it though).

A divider from the main floor into the sunken living room MUST remain. It's a 14" drop on the one side (a 3' wide hallway from the front door there), and of course over the staircase for 10' on the other side. One of our kiddos is 45" tall, 7 yrs old, and hyperactive, another is visually impaired. I foresee broken bones even if we do color and pattern diffs if we have no railing? ;-D Even if we added a step down that whole right side... I think with the entry being so narrow... people are going to go flying into the living room if they step too far?

The railing wood has never been varnished... just Danco oil finished multiple times over the years. Though the original penetrating stain must have been cherry.
  • RO PE
    12 years ago
    CAN LOWER THE STAIRS ON BOTH SIDES?
    AND EVEN THE FLOOR TO MATCH?
  • cindybr
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    That;s what I thought you meant. Maybe I can scrounge up some big sheets of cardboard, lay them out, and see what we think. Thanks!
  • RO PE
    12 years ago
    YOU GOT IT. WERE ARE YOU LOCATED?
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    HI - Cindy - Because you have a concern for the safety of your dear children - sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do a major remodel to fix things . That may involve moving the stairs and reworking the floor plan and making all the floors one level . Maybe it's time and it looks like you have a difficult house design and it's very dated..Just from what I see in the pictures looks like a poor design and you must have other issues with the house also I,m thinking. It might not take too much to make things work better for you and your family. Consult with an architect and see what can be done.
  • PRO
    skchrisman
    12 years ago
    I'm with lefty47. Consult an architect. The house is quite outdated. The sunken area is quite small, and without seeing the remaining surroundings makes it a little more difficult to give you any specific 'changes'. Also, you haven't mentioned what 'type' of space you would like. However, there are many mentioned here that would work if you are looking for a small project or a DIY project. For a more modern look, I'l paint the wood, get rid of the bannister behind the couch, change the flooring quickly, and if you want more space; instead of the bookcase or 1/4 or 1/2 wall, you could have wrought iron or wooden spindles made the full floor to ceiling length (I'd go iron). But, if you can, I'd consult the architect and overhaul the room - including changing stair direction, etc.,
  • cindybr
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    You're right lefty47... the house was made for a retired couple (though they could easily tip over that crazy ledge in the living room too where the plywood is?), and we've been trying to make do raising 4 kiddos here. Our grandchild was born 3 weeks ago... so child safety will always be an issue. I was hoping there was a way to make things better without a major redo.... but I'll get a couple of on-site opinions. If too major... I guess we can move ;-D. (don't know which sounds like more work, LOL).
  • PRO
    ARTACO Railing Systems
    11 years ago
    ARTACO Railing Systems offer many attractive and affordable railing and staircase solutions that will add style, safety AND value to your home: www.artacorailing.com
  • cindybr
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Beautiful solution, ARTACO. How kid-proof (non-breakable) are the panels? Thanks!