Need some help/inspiration updating my newly purchased 60's home
Chris Paltzat
Hey all, I need some help and insight into what might be possible to update my new house to a much more sleek/stylish/modern look. The area I bought in is in a definite state of transition to update the homes and make them much more current.

I am really looking to transform the outside of the house with some new materials and colors to really give this house proper curb appeal.

First things first.... I NEEEEEED to get rid of that awful green awning. I also want to clean up the flowers to show more of the house. I was considering painting the stucco and replacing the lower wooden siding with some stone? Perhaps even some cedar or something. I LOVE exposed concrete. I also love darker woods with interesting and subtle grains like walnut. Short of redoing the entire front of the home, I'm open to almost any ideas. Replacing the front steps, hand rails, landscaping, removing the spruce tree.

This is my first home......and I realize it's quite small and simple, but I want to make it my own....and make it a place that I love coming home to every day.

I would love some input and ideas on how to modernize this boring exterior with some new colors and materials. I have included 2 photos of the house as well as an similar style home that has been updated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Chris
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
A deck / front porch across the entire front would give you added usable space at the front of the house.

Taking you windows down, closer to the floor and making them tall windows and french doors to your new deck / porch would really open up the inside to the outside...
1 Like   Thanked by Chris Paltzat    August 27, 2014 at 10:03PM
Chris Paltzat
Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately I'm not really a big porch-guy. The house also has an enormous back yard with huge trees for privacy so the porch would probably never get utilized.

As far as the windows go, the small one on the left of the house is in the kitchen, and I can't drop it any further as it would go below counter height. The large window on the left is the living room and it could go down a few more inches, but then it would intrude into the siding area of the house and I'm not sure it would look good as the spacing above and below the window would be uneven.

These photos are from the real-estate listing (so not my furnishings). I take possession of the house on the 12th of September.
0 Likes   August 27, 2014 at 10:10PM
Thos. Baker
I think the front of your house is lovely. It looks clean, crisp, colorful and well-maintained. It says that the owner takes care of the home and that is a huge curb appeal all by itself. The only suggestion I could make is to paint it a modern color and change the color of the roof and steps on the front porch.

Here's a color that is one of my personal favorites for stucco. I'm also providing the link to the company that makes beautiful paint colors specifically for stucco. There might be one there that you like better.

http://www.merlex.com/colorchart.htm

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
1 Like   Thanked by Chris Paltzat    August 28, 2014 at 12:44AM
fissfiss
I think it would be worth paying some money to get a master plan, so you can work towards a dream vision as you can afford it. It's always good to live in a place for a while to see how you use it, how the light moves during the day, whether you need that tree for shade or if it's just making things gloomy. Keep in mind that there might be rules about a tree of that size!
1 Like   Thanked by Chris Paltzat    August 28, 2014 at 4:49AM
Mouldex Exterior & Interior Mouldings
The photo of the home that has been updated looks great, easily achievable on your home as well. A nice paint job on your walls will freshen it up a lot.

The stone to stucco transition on the sides of your door is awkward and would recommend running a vertical moulding to soften the hard line. This will also emphasize your door which is a big focal point of any home. Replace or remove the screen door since it's yellowing.

I would also do the same between the stucco and the siding. Running a sill/cap will add more dimension.

We can help with a 3D Rendering, you can take a look at some of our concepts here
2 Likes   Thanked by Chris Paltzat    August 28, 2014 at 10:47AM
Timberlane Shutters
While you may not be a porch guy, you might look into redoing the portico you have currently on the front. Adding a bit more detail and intricacy, although not too much to maintain the simplicity and cleanliness of the lines, would go a long way. You may also consider adding shutters to the small window to bring a bit more attention and balance out the space.
0 Likes   Thanked by Chris Paltzat    August 28, 2014 at 1:36PM
Chris Paltzat
I was thinking painting the entire house (stucco and wood siding) a more neutral grey, changing the roof color to black, and then replacing the concrete parging around the front door with some warm cedar planks mounted horizontally to try and help keep the houses horizontal lines. Thoughts? Similar to the scheme posted bellow .....and similar to the updated home I posted in my first post.
0 Likes   August 29, 2014 at 12:12PM
baldwilm
I wish that I could find an awning like yours for my house. Is it metal?
0 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 6:46AM
Grown Solutions
Hanging Garden Trellises from grownsolutions.com can be hung in front of windows, for a natural air conditioning privacy screen effect, or in front of bare walls as a lovely focal point for otherwise difficult areas. They are also portable so you can move them out of harms way during inclement weather.
0 Likes   August 30, 2014 at 10:50PM
Newly purchased 1950's home, I need some landscaping & exterior ideas
We recently purchased our first home and now undergoing...
Mazzy
commonsense21
Help update my 60s kitchen!
Hi we just moved into my boyfriends grandmas house...
Deandra Stachura
Help update my 60s kitchen!
Deandra Stachura
Help update my 60s kitchen!
Deandra Stachura
Converting 3/4 bath to laundry/powder room. Vanity top suggestions?
Mudroom off our garage was linked to kitchen on one...
deborahjarman
13" RH benson pendants too big??
So I got a great deal on these 13"satin nickel benson...
timglidden
Need help with bathroom storage
This is a small 3 piece bathroom on the main floor...
libby_34
Change wood trim to white?
We have a 2007 builder grade home. I am not a fan of...
Samantha Boyd