My Den needs a makeover
Elizabeth Reilly
The design dilemma is that I have french doors on both sides of this room, and so limited wall space to put furniture against. It's a small room with dimensions of 18 by 13. The couch and recliners will go. I need to keep the black book case and the black console cabinet as there is no other space in the home for these pieces. The room is sunken and has 9 ft ceilings.
Elizabeth Reilly
Here is the view into the kitchen from the den
August 30, 2014 at 6:23AM     
I'd pull all furniture off the walls and float it in the center, making sure to leave enough walk space behind it. This may require smaller furniture.

You might do four chairs around a coffee table; the two nearest the fireplace could swivel, and the two furthest could be small recliners. Or a small sofa facing the TV with a swivel chair on each end could work.

I would also suggest lowering the TV in this small room, though I don't know if that is possible with those brick corbels.

August 30, 2014 at 6:33AM     
Elizabeth Reilly
The tv will be replaced with a smaller one that can be disguised as artwork and I was thinking of covering the brick fireplace with a lighter cobbler type stone possibly. I like the idea if swivel chairs.
August 30, 2014 at 6:42AM   
2dogssashatess
Its not a big room. Id get a glass topped coffee table to replace the black one
August 30, 2014 at 7:36AM     
Anne
I would consider painting your console and bookcase white to match all of your woodwork and lighten up the room. Personally I love the room--it's cozy. But I agree about the furniture--too much and too big.
August 30, 2014 at 7:46AM     
Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
I can help you and make it beautiful...where are you? We are in Anaheim CA but have developed system that makes it easy for us to help you no matter where you are!!! Call if you are interested! 714-970-8000
on Sunday at 2:56PM     
gastb
Do you need three chairs and the sofa? If you don't need to seat 5-6 people all of the time, I'd figure out how you use this pretty room first, then decorate accordingly. If it's all about tv, then a couple of small but comfy chairs and a coffee table may be all you need. Can the tv be placed on the wall where the sofa is now? If you like to sit and watch the fire, then orient seating there. But I tend to ignore fireplaces, they really aren't interesting to look at most of the time.

This would be a nice hobby room or reading room, so if you get rid of some of the big chairs you would have space for a small desk or work table.

To make it all feel spacious, tie it in color wise to your adjoining rooms, and keep the furnishing light in tone. I like french lavender blue and cream in a space like this, to highlight the traditional look but not in a stuffy way.
on Sunday at 3:31PM   
Decorative Philosophy
WE too can help you make it beautiful! Start by de cluttering, hanging the pictures at the same height, moving the furniture closer together and sending more pictures to us so we can see more angles and a floor plan with measurements.
Regards,
Karen & Joseph
for Decorative Philosophy
on Sunday at 3:37PM   
Ellsworth-Hallett Home Professionals
I think the current curtains are a mistake. It's a pretty room with symmetrical architectural features. Get new, longer drapes in pairs, and hang the curtains on the windows and the door at the same height, and have them hang as panels on both sides to visually make these openings both larger and softer. I would run them floor to ceiling.
on Sunday at 3:42PM   
i need help deciding how to trim my windows in my den/kitchen
the window is 72" x 72" , i already installed interior...
so far i have had custom wooden shutters installed...
Need help with my den
I have a 52" x 72" room in my den that is a bar. I...
Need help for my den
Just purchased my first home, it's a brick ranch ....
Contemporary, traditional, mountain lodge
My house is 1990s contemporary, but I always naturally...
need help for my blank wall! :-)
Hi wonderful houzzers..im here again to seek your advices...
help update my kitchen
I want the change the look of my kitchen, including...
Need help determining tile direction
We have a long, narrow room (8x20) that we are turning...
Need help with landscape and sidewalk ideas for front yard
Renovated a 1960's brick home - gutted and added 1000...