Too much leather?
katefrances18
We just moved from a small condo to an old bungalow house (1929) and need to buy furniture for two rooms- the den and the living room. These two rooms are small and are next to each other and sort of open to each other via french doors...the doors are always open. The living room will be more for when we have guests I think, most of the hanging out will be in the den. We have a toddler and a baby and a sloppy English Bulldog (he does not sit on the furniture, but his hair and slobber can easily end up on the base of furniture). We are interested in a leather queen sleeper for the den (leather for easy care with kids) and in the living room we'd like 2 chairs and a small couch. Because of leather in the den, would it be weird to also get leather for the living room chairs? They'd be different colors, but is that too much leather? Here are the options, C&B Davis in "Saddle" and West Elm Livingston in "Wolf": http://www.crateandbarrel.com/davis-leather-queen-sleeper-sofa/s109919?a=1552 http://www.westelm.com/products/livingston-leather-club-chair-h861/?pkey=e%7Clivingston%7C3%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules
River Valley Cabinet Works
What would be weird about? Obviously you like leather. NBD to me.
   August 30, 2014 at 4:48PM
katefrances18
I wouldn't say I am a leather-lover or anything. I like the durability of it. I would say my husband and I are a bit scared to choose our new upholstered furniture because we had a very light colored couch (a pre-kid purchase) and although it is only maybe 4 years old it looks horrible from all the snack/spit-up/whatever stains from the kids. The dog has also rubbed his face on the bottom of it, so it just looks terrible. We are embarrassed to have people over. Slipcovering is not an option as it would have to be custom. We'd rather buy a new couch that is more durable.

I guess I'm just wondering if, because they are in adjacent rooms, it would be too much leather. Also because it is a small home, they aren't far away from each other. Would a fabric covering be better?
   August 30, 2014 at 4:53PM
River Valley Cabinet Works
Ah, you must not have purchased the Scotch-Guard option.
   August 30, 2014 at 7:57PM
Leslie Brooks
Scotch guard works for baby puke and spills that are cleaned immediately, but not for the wear and tear of dogs with slobber. Leather is the best to get.
   August 30, 2014 at 8:20PM
mcbriec
Leather is absolutely fabulous for standing up to abuse and the great perk of being able to wash it down when there's slobber or anything else dumped on it. I always get distressed leather since it fits my lifestyle with a large herd of cats and dogs.
1 Like   August 30, 2014 at 8:50PM
Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
Leather should be an accent! rather than every piece
1 Like   September 14, 2014 at 8:44AM
I don't know what your decorating style is, but since you've mentioned that the house is a 1929 bungalow, you might consider some Arts and Crafts/Mission style furniture that has a wood frame (i.e. resistant to slobber at doggie head level) and can have either leather or fabric cushions.

September 14, 2014 at 9:00AM
Decorating Moroccan/Middle Eastern Living Room AROUND roommate's sofa!
I recently moved into an apartment, and I'm dying to...
Window coverings for living dining kitchen and office
Insulated somewhat, not blacked out, would like some...
Living room design
I need to know what to do behind the sofa? Is the mirror...
Best Brand of Paint?
I've never thought a lot about the brand of paint I...
Dark floors! Accessorise and or rearrange my living room!
Please help, my leather sofa is burgundy, floor is...