Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leahintexas

Kitchen

leahintexas
9 years ago
I live in hot and humid Houston, and my kitchen is on the west side of the house, with front window looking out south. Our driveway, and our neighbor's are on the west of the house. The kitchen gets hot!

Currently, I have medium oak cabinests (installed new 21 years ago), a brown floor (peel and stick vinyl tile), muted yellow paint on the walls, beige formica countertops and backsplash and soft white trim. House is traditional style. We are plannng to do some updating, but our funds are limited for now.

The heat in this room can really be a problem during our long summers.

My thoughts: I'd like to darken the cabinets to an espresso finish (we'd do this), get new flooring (professionally installed), white subway tile for backsplash (maybe diy), some sort of white-ish countertops (professionally done), and paint the walls a blue, either light or mid blue (diy).

I really love white cabinets, but I don't think we are up to doing that ourselves (and having it look good), so I think dark lightened up with the tile and countertops will work.

Thoughts? Flooring suggestions? Color suggestions for the blue paint? Countertop suggestions?

BTW, we have three active kids (two in college, but home in summer), a large dog, and two cats.

Comments (8)