Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madi89

Where should I put the TV?

madi89
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
My husband and I recently purchased a house but we haven't moved in yet. These are pictures of the way that the current owner has the living room layed out.

Right now we have a love seat and a chair and our TV is sitting on a low TV bench. I'm trying to figure out where were going to put our furniture before we move in.

My dilemma is where should we put the TV? I feel like our only option is to put it in front of the window where she currently has it ,or in front of the staircase. Both of these options seems like to would look awkward..

How would you layout/decorate the living room?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    or loveseat on stair wall, chair pulled in to the right of it, away from entrance tv on long wall, then add a chair to the left side when you can and allow the front stairwell door area to act as an entrence, put a bench under the window or something.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    We can make this work! The good news is that you have the perfect furniture for this room.

Here is what I recommend

1) Place the tv where they have the china cabinet.
    2) Place the love seat with its back to the front window, but floated out a little beyond the stairs. Love seat should be moved toward the long wall as far as possible

So, you have created a small" front hall" behind the love seat.

3) Place the 2 chairs where their chairs are, but floated out some, so that traffic can walk behind them.

So, foot traffic walks in the front door and either up the stairs or down the "hall" behind the chairs and straight through to the back. No traffic in the tv area. Tv area is cozy.
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think I might try to take advantage of the wall with the stairs and arrange floating shelves along with the low table and tv. Your couch would be opposite with art above, add a rectangle coffee table to allow for flow. Place your single chair at window and add a table/lamp between it and the couch or a floor lamp. For the back wall, I would add a console table and light, two small ottomans that you could pull out for extra seating, plus a large mirror or art above. [houzz=
    San Rafael Mid Century · More Info
    ];[houzz=
    hartwell entry · More Info
    ]
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    I agree with CDR, but it sounds like you just have one chair right now, right? Can you still buy a mate to that chair?
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    I also like Maureen's idea as long as everything on the stair wall is only on the wall portion and the corner of the TV doesn't overlap with any part of the wood of the stairs or railing
  • madi89
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow these all sound like great ideas! I do like CDR's idea. And yes I currently only have one chair but I would be able to buy a mate for it

If I went the other route and put the TV by the stairs.. then I would deffinetly make sure not to overlap the TV with the wood of the stair case. I'm glad I don't have to put the TV under the window like she has it.. I think would look so off with a flat screen.

Thanks everyone!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    You are welcome. Let us know if you need any more help!
  • sandkshouse
    9 years ago
    Is there any other room in the house that could be used for TV viewing?