Need some advice on backsplash please

coco100August 31, 2014
We just had carrera marble backsplash put in our kitchen. The perimeter countertops are caesarstone pebble and the island is marble. for some reason the backsplash turned bluish once installed. I had no idea that would happen. I don,t like it at all. I thought it would look white and gray. Is there anything I can do to fix it rather than replace it? I never wanted blue in my kitchen. Any advice would be very appreciated
Natalie
Hi---all natural stone is unique and yes, carrara marble can vary from creamy gray to periwinkle blue. Grout color may possibly the culprit, as well as cabinet and wall color. If your cabs/walls have an orange or yellow undertone the blue hues in the marble will become more prevalent. Did you have any extra tiles you could compare to the island marble? Pic shows the same materials you have... Note the cool cabs and cool wall color...
Soothing White and Gray Kitchen Remodel · More Info
]
    Bookmark   August 31, 2014 at 11:49PM
coco100
I see the photo you attached. My cabinets (perimeter) are off white and the island is dark brown. I was going to paint the walls in the kitchen a gray color but am afraid it won,t help my situation with the blue carrera marble unless you have a suggestion. Is there anything I can do about the blue backsplash?
    Bookmark   August 31, 2014 at 11:56PM
Sanctuary Kitchen and Bath Design
Carrara is fairly porous and it soaks up any sort of moisture that comes into contact with it, including thinset and grout. Did you examine the tiles before they were installed? If so, did you like the color? If you feel that the tiles changed color once only after they were installed, then it could very well be that the thinset used to set the tiles has changed the color. With carrara tiles, you should always use a white thinset... Before ripping out your backsplash, talk to your tile installer about applying a color enhancer to the face of the stone. There are a few products out there that can have varying effects on the color, hue, and darkness of natural stones.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 12:31AM
coco100
I noticed the thin set was gray. The tiles looked different before they were installed. They looked gray and white with no blue. I will ask him about a color enhancer because it is hard to look at right now and I want to love my kitchen.
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 12:46AM
Natalie
Color enhancer could turn them more creamy in color. I'm thinking that your off-white cabs are casting a warm hue and bringing out the blue hues in the marble.
Wait---did you say the thinset was gray? Or do you mean the grout? If they installed your tile with anything other than white thinset---well then, that's why your tile looks blue...
1 Like    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 1:22AM
coco100
Yes the thinset was gray and the grout is called platinum which is also a gray color. The backsplash wasn't cheap so I hope there is a remedy out there that we can do without having to replace the tile.
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 8:10AM
Natalie
Goodness---no matter what you do the tile will remain that color. White thinset only for Carrara marble. Your contractor should know this. I'd have him remove it and reinstall New tile all at his expense. What he did is not acceptable. Do not compromise your vision due to his mistake. Please, keep us posted. Good Luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 8:18AM
coco100
I am also wondering what color of gray to paint the walls so it does not bring out more blue in the tile.
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 9:12AM
Natalie
check colors: 864 Oystershell and HC-171 Wickham Gray
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 10:34AM
Natalie
It's hard to give you much more without at least pics of your cabinet color, island, and tile.
    Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 10:35AM
I need some advice...
I have been wanting to get knew flooring and countertops...
charityscherubs
guccilina
Need some advice about design (please disregard furniture in pics, the
I am an owner of this 725 sq. foot condo unit. I am...
pandalove85
Advice on backsplash tiling please!
Need your opinion: Getting out kitchen remodeled,...
anhandtodd
Need Backsplash Advice Please
We're almost there but the last decision is a killer........
msf4215
Need help redesigning our entryway
Hello fellow Houzzers, I'm looking for ideas to improve...
rb380
Fireplace Ideas Wanted!
We are looking to add new facing to the fireplace....
Rochelle Thomas
Kitchen Cabinet reviews
We are working on plans to remodel our kitchen and...
robshous
Help remodeling bathroom
Here is my master bath. Looking to remodel. Hoping...
help me
Need help designing my basement!
I have an unfinished basement and would like to make...
jomortgage2007