wood or granite countertops?? need help.
ann
first time remodeled here. it's crunch time. kitchen being redon, with white not cream cabinets, s appliances, light to med oak floor. I would like granite countertops but hate every granite color I've seen. quartz and marble too. grey and blacks seem too harsh. can't find the right browns and don't want it to be too light. I'm leaning towards wood, dark walnut perhaps, not too grainy or red. my head saids granite my heart saids wood. small kitchen. would all wood be too much. love the white but want to soften it. thinking of a beige backsplash. any thoughts or photo sites would be so helpful. thanks people. ann
apple_pie_order
Do you have photos? Try putting "wood countertops" in the Houzz search box. Use the quotes.
0 Likes   Thanked by ann    September 1, 2014 at 5:14AM
Granite countertops for durability.
0 Likes   Thanked by ann    September 1, 2014 at 5:19AM
Patricia Colwell
I had all wood counters for years and found them very easy to live with this pic is from my last house and it is now 17 yrs old and still looks great( afrien bought the house). My only concern in your space would be making sure there is not too much wood and that is for you to decide. What I like about wood is it sometimes softens an all hard surface space as for care oil it a couple of times a year if you get a blemish sand it and oil it no problem, As for the backsplash that is where I like to add a little bling it is the jewel in a kitchen as faras I am concerned.So decide that at the very end when all the rest of the elements are in place. The fist pic is my house and the second is a clients
2 Likes   Thanked by ann    September 1, 2014 at 6:54AM
carolins
Follow your heart :-)
2 Likes   Thanked by ann    September 1, 2014 at 6:58AM
Harmoni Designs, LLC
Wood countertops can add so much warmth and character to a kitchen. Here's a link to a kitchen with walnut countertops, oak flooring and white cabinets, just like what you are describing:

Good luck with your project!
1 Like   Thanked by ann    September 1, 2014 at 7:49AM
hayleydaniels
Go with wood. You'll be glad you did.
1 Like   Thanked by ann    September 1, 2014 at 7:55AM
ann
Thanks for your quick responses, very helpful, nice kitchen patricia. Yes, I have looked up many photos here of what I'm looking for, sadly most only have wood on an island, very few whole kitchen. I even thought about a dark brown granite/or quartz to mimmick the wood. No,no,no..didn't like that either. Maintenance won't be a big deal for me. It is next to impossible to get a feel for the granite if you have to look for it online. I could live with a dark gray granite, but its too cold, want the warmth, so I'll follow my heart. So far no one has given me a good reason why I shouldn't use wood. I will however use a granite cutting board. :-) thank you all. Ann
0 Likes   September 1, 2014 at 5:16PM
Harmoni Designs, LLC
Ann, there is no reason why you shouldn't use wood throughout if you don't mind a little upkeep. In northern Europe where I'm from, it's almost used everywhere, when people don't use laminate tops. Wood is beautiful and you'll love it. You can ask the fabricator to make you a nice matching wood cutting board out of the leftover from the sink cut out.
2 Likes   Thanked by ann    September 1, 2014 at 5:22PM
Patricia Colwell
NO GRANITE for cutting board unless you want to ruin your knives, use the cut out from the sink as suggested.
0 Likes   September 1, 2014 at 6:19PM
ann
Really?!?.. Thanks I never knew. Wood it is.
0 Likes   September 1, 2014 at 6:36PM
ann
I'm new using this site, I'm going to try to post a small piece of a kitchen as to the look I'm trying to achieve. I apologize if its not viewable.
3 Likes   September 1, 2014 at 6:42PM
carolins
Lovely!

Did a little search on Pinterest for you. Click on the photos to see them entirely. There are some wood floors in there too.
1 Like   Thanked by ann    September 2, 2014 at 3:44AM
TheRTAStore.com
Hello! We've recently written a blog about 5 kitchen counter top ideas. Check it out here and perhaps it will help you with your decision. http://articles.thertastore.com/article/top_5_kitchen_countertop_ideas_by_rtastore
0 Likes   Thanked by ann    September 2, 2014 at 3:53AM
allgranite
I love the look of granite
1 Like   Thanked by ann    September 2, 2014 at 4:41AM
Pataya Flooring & Stone Supply, LLC
Wood countertops are beautiful when new. They are not as forgiving when cut on as stone is or when setting hot pots on the surface. Any hard surface is bad for a knife so don't let this be the selling point over long term durability. This is why they sell cutting boards and also be prepared to pay the fabricator to make a cutting board from that sink cutout. Their time and tooling is worth money to. :)
1 Like   Thanked by ann    September 2, 2014 at 4:48AM
Patricia Colwell
The cutout can be used as is and as for wood not being good for knives that is the best material for cutting on, wood counters can look great for ages just a little care is all you need. I have 2 trivets that I use for hot off the stove pots and never have had a problem
2 Likes   Thanked by ann    September 2, 2014 at 6:09AM
ann
Nice. Thanks for the tips and photos. I find that if I search, wood countertops, or walnut countertops only, I get more photos of full kitchens rather than just an island. My kitchen will not be big enough for one. As for the care, I think I should be fine. It will be just the 2 of us, no children. Unless I learn how to cook real well, I shouldn't ruin it for a while. I'm more concerned about the water around the sink than a hot pot. Which I would never do anyways, unless my hand was on fire:-) .
If granite is bad for knives, why do they sell granite cutting boards?
I do like granite/marble for smaller spaces, like a bath vanity. This is my first time remodeling, and I don't want to make an expensive mistake. Contractor said wood is cheaper, and I do like it, so maybe it would be easier to change it out down the road.
I have not lived in the house for years, after doing some extensive cleaning, I've noticed how bad my floors are. So my next post my be refinish or replace the floors..oh boy.
1 Like   September 2, 2014 at 5:42PM
tiamay
Hi Ann, not about your countertop but the granite cutting board you mentioned is mostly used for pastry and dough purposes. One really can't cut meat or veggies on granite or marble blocks as it ruins the knife like Patricia said above.
2 Likes   September 2, 2014 at 6:34PM
Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
Granite not wood.
0 Likes   Thanked by ann    September 13, 2014 at 10:46PM
ann
Thanks for all the help from everyone. Probably not a big surprise but I did a 180 on my kitchen since I last post. White and wood is out, going with espresso and granite. Even though I really don't like granite in large spaces, I did find a few whites that might work. Saw an elegant display in a shop that was espresso, with corian, looked like marble, very nice, however, I don't like the corian material, so all my planning is out the window, now I'm winging it. This is all so mentally exhausting. An interior designer I could never be. They make it look so easy on t.v., don't they..
0 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 1:58PM
SoCal Contractor
Well whatever you decide to go with, I'm sure it will look great! That is a complete 180 from what you originally intended, but still sounds great!
0 Likes   Thanked by ann    September 15, 2014 at 2:04PM
ann
Thanks I hope so, this is my first and last reno and I'm afraid of making a mistake. Just very anxious to get it done. Patience is what I need.
0 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 3:44PM
ann
BTW, I like them both so much that I came close to changing it back to white after I ordered the espresso. I'm crazy, I know. How to soften the white, how to lighten the dark. Love the homeyness of the white, and the elegance of the dark. Actually thought of using both, oh what madness
0 Likes   September 15, 2014 at 3:57PM
cabingirl13
go for the wood- granite it so overused!
0 Likes   Thanked by ann    September 15, 2014 at 4:05PM
Need help matching granite countertop to a pickled wood cabinet
Our cabinets are a pickled type of wood with a pink...
ssebuck
Need help shopping for kitchen granite countertop
We are not sure where to buy. Went to Home Depot and...
mmcguin627
Need help selecting granite kitchen countertop
We are painting kitchen cabinets swiss coffee with...
Pam Axe Parks
need help to choose granite countertop and back splash
Hi, I 'm building a new house and have bought "signature...
Uzma Javed
Need help finding a backsplash for our Crema Bordeaux granite countertop
We are in the process of re-doing our kitchen with...
paquita31547
Need Help with colors for my house and soda/chair ideas
Hello, I purchased a home built in 1989. I put versailles...
fhetter
Keep white fridge or switch to LG French door stainless
We are on the fence about switching to a stainless...
robg123
We have just way too much beige
Hi, so in our home, we have boring beige and "sell...
margoxyvon
Where does your kitty cozy up on cold winter days?
We are Floridians. When we are in our mountain home...
Maraly
Need help with Deck ideas on addition
Just finished an addition, couldnt afford a deck until...
brickman12