Need help choosing a door for garage addition on 1961 split level
lisalisa808
September 2, 2014 in Design Dilemma
We have already done a ton of updates to the exterior, including roof, windows, paint and front door. Now we are adding a front loading double garage with one door. Ideas on what to do with the garage door/trim? I'd love to really make it a focal point with a cool garage door, but I'm not sure what goes with the architecture of my house? Otherwise I guess it should just blend in, in which case I have no idea what color/style to choose. Basically I'm having a really hard time figuring out what will look good. We plan to do a stamped concrete driveway and then next spring we will update the walkway and possibly add a portico. We will also be losing the shed and moving the two big hollys to the back yard. All ideas welcome - even landscaping! We live in Alexandria, VA.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Design Freedom, inc.
having grown up in Arlington, VA, in a brick split level, i definitely recognize this house shape and style! however, my recommendations are based on dis-agreeing with your decision to make "a focal point with a cool garage door" - let me explain! then go with your gut!
i would highly recommend pushing the garage back a few feet, to give some depth to the facade. the future portico will help, too!
also, a gable always reads as a main entrance, so i would design the front of the garage to match the other large roofs with a gutter & eave. save the gable for the front porch/portico.
as with many similar houses in surrounding neighborhoods, using the paneled garage door with or without windows would match the neighborhood, rather than the Colonial style. they didn't have split levels or attached garages in Colonial times, so we can only match the scale and style of the house as it exists now. the garage door will already be a focal point due to it's size and your house's sitting above street level.
i love that you have already gone 3D with your design. i encourage you to add the portico/front porch to see how it will all look at the end.
   Thanked by lisalisa808    September 2, 2014 at 4:43PM
PRO
ppf.
I understand with snow, a gable over the garage door may be best, but visually I'd rather see you match existing roof lines. I'd also be concerned about snow buildup against the house, realizing you will have a ridge extending from the house wall to meet the gable ridge.

Plain garage door with small square windows at top. Painted to match the house.
1 Like   Thanked by lisalisa808    September 2, 2014 at 7:45PM
lisalisa808
thank you for your responses! so i guess you are thinking that an aluminum and glass garage door wouldn't go? like this?
   September 2, 2014 at 8:20PM
PRO
ppf.
Great looking door -- just not on your house :)
1 Like   September 2, 2014 at 9:02PM
Brandi Nash Hicks
A wood garage door to match the front door
   September 3, 2014 at 7:04AM
PRO
Design Freedom, inc.
i like that aluminum and glass garage door, too, but on another house. unless you are planning on a major modern feature to the front of the house, the door will stick out like a sore thumb.
   September 3, 2014 at 7:18PM
Margo
Ruth you are looking for friends in all the wrong places;(
4 Likes   September 10, 2014 at 7:21PM