Refrigerator cabinet help
diyher
Our GE Cafe 29cubic foot fridge arrived yesterday :)
I'm taking the above cabinet down as well as the one to the left, both going in my studio in the basement.
I want to replace them with a fridge cabinet and to the left a double door 38" wall cabinet with glass doors.

What I am trying to figure out is what size fridge cabinet to order.
We are taking the cabinet to the end of the black sides but as you see, that takes the cabinet beyond the depth of the soffet.
Our previous fridge was only 2.5 inches less depth, so getting a cabinet for that would have been similar questions.

If we take the cabinet to the ceiling, we had thought to put larger crown moulding around the 3 sides.

I guess my question is, should crown moulding go over the height of the soffet, or do we cut the height of the fridge cabinet by 3.5" which we think could be approximate height of the crown.

Any ideas on how to d this?

Thanks
zazfuzzroc
Okay my suggestion is to put a three inch wide filler piece in between the existing and new cabinet. To the length you need and return the crown on to that piece. Gosh, I think I confused myself. I guess basically I think keep it even with the height of the other cabinets. I'll see if I can find some pictures today to help you out. Good luck. Your second picture is messed up. Reload it so we have a better view. : )
September 4, 2014 at 9:28AM      Thanked by diyher
ppf.
Installing a cabinet proud of the sofffet will not look right.

Ideally you would bring the wall right of the refrigerator forward enough to cover the black, then extend the soffet out to match.
September 4, 2014 at 9:51AM     
diyher
ppf, the fridge already extends beyond the soffet and the wall. I can't bring the wall out. That is a walkway between the kitchen and the dining room. Even if we didn't buy the new fridge, I was going to buy a new cabinet to extend over the top of the fridge so I had easier access to the doors.
Here is a picture from 1995 when we first had the house built. You can see the other angle [houzz=Kitchen updates 2012-2014 1]

and here it shows the walkway into the dining room. [houzz=Kitchen updates 2012-2014 2]
September 4, 2014 at 10:44AM   
diyher
here is a cabinet that looks like it doesn't go to the ceiling [houzz=
]
September 4, 2014 at 12:27PM   
ppf.
Image 1 is as built, 2 is as suggested, 3 is plan view showing extended wall right or refrigerator. You could also do this with a panel matching the new cabinets. Panel left of the refrigerator would complete the look.
September 4, 2014 at 3:11PM      Thanked by diyher
diyher
how did you do that so fast :)) I'm confused with #2 It looks like it goes into the closet on the top? Assuming you just didn't show the left side of the fridge cabinet. I wanted to hide that especially since it's black and right now the only thing in the whole kitchen that will be black. I already bought the base cabinet to the left of the fridge. That will have a black walnut countertop
September 4, 2014 at 3:41PM   
diyher
I was thinking sometime like this. [houzz=Kingwood Township Kitchen & Renovation] with the 2 corbels. The other option could be to take down the soffit and even the closet and put a floor to ceiling cabinet. The wall area above the close now is all open space and seems a waste where we could store things up there.

ok, here is the option at least to the right of the fridge. I happen to know the guy that owns the construction company that installed the kitchen.
This also happens to be the same model and home builder that built ours. The owners just decided to redo the kitchen, not sure if it happens to be someone in my development.
[houzz=Munz Kitchens]
September 4, 2014 at 3:53PM   
ppf.
Here is another view. Yes I was lazy and did not add the panel left of the refrigerator.
September 4, 2014 at 3:59PM        Thanked by diyher
diyher
you are very good at cad design. That would be a good option too. I'm definitely going to hold off ordering those 2 cabinets and just do something like this next year since this year is filled with cabinet installs the rest of the kitchen. I wonder if our builder would have a record of what is already inside the soffit. I honestly don't remember even though I came to the house every other day to see what else was completed :)) Thanks for taking the time to draw up the designs, it's been a huge help
September 4, 2014 at 4:41PM   
ppf.
You are welcome. I wondered since it looks like other parts of the kitchen do not have soffits.

I use my inspection camera for this type of investigation all the time.
September 4, 2014 at 5:04PM        Thanked by diyher
diyher
thanks again, I think I have video of it, but thing is the tape it was on, I don't think I can replay it since I don't have the 22yo video camera anymore. I took more video than I did photos that year. I didn't know there was such a thing as inspection camera. We also thought it was stupid of the construction person for this part of the house to put and overhead light 1/2" from the top of the cabinet, and the 2 cabinets on that wall were not even the same size. Right one is about 3 inches less in width than the left cabinet.
September 4, 2014 at 6:01PM   
diyher
lol, what happened to my 2nd photo, it's all digitized and looks like a puzzle
September 5, 2014 at 3:25PM     
zazfuzzroc
Yeah, I told you yesterday. lol Check the comments you'll see. : )
September 5, 2014 at 3:39PM   
diyher
ok, here it is. Not that it matters now :D
September 5, 2014 at 6:17PM     
Micro Home Construction
My husband and I have a rough draft we designed for...
Foyer light
I have a 40" silver colored orb light, chandelier in...
back splash to coordinate with Caesarstone Calacatta Nuvo?
Our kitchen is being installed but I'm stuck as to...
Best Kitchen Range?
If you could have any range you wanted, which would...
Curb Appeal
Our house 12 months ago. Changed the garage door about...