Need help for my living room lighting situation
Katherine Jimenez
September 4, 2014
We live in one of those houses that doesn't have built in lighting-I don't know who would design a house without it, but lets not open that can of worms! Anyways, I have a small wall that is home to a little seating area that i just cannot figure out lighting for the life of me. I currently have a small light on the center console, but its not enough. When we have parties, I use this table for the dessert bar setup and it just doesn't provide enough light--or room--since I have to have this little lamp there. I'm not really wanting a floor lamp because I want more direct light on the table itself--I'm completely out of ideas! HELP!
Manhattan Home Design
Believe it or not, they make battery powered sconces that don't require wiring. They usually have LEDs which are bright and last for thousands of hours. Two of these flanking that mirror would do the job well. You could also find one with a downward pointing ray and center that above the mirror. Keep in mind sconces can point down, out (away from wall) or both. Here's a link to some on Amazon so you can get an idea: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Operated-Sconce-Remote-Control/sim/B002UQ6CRC/2
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2014 at 10:08AM
mlou72
Could you add wall sconces?
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2014 at 10:48AM
Katherine Jimenez
I thought of that, but if I added one above each chair the wires would be seen from under the chair--and if theres one thing I hate more than bad lighting, its exposed wires!!
    Bookmark   September 4, 2014 at 10:53AM
mlou72
If you are against having an electrician add lighting, perhaps simple track lighting on ceiling and angle them to spot light. I know you said no floor lamps, but perhaps one that can stay behind a chair and the long arm style one can reach over. Keeping the floor clear around table.
    Bookmark   September 4, 2014 at 10:59AM
housegal200
Not ideal, but since you have a plug there for the table lamp, why not install a non-hard-wired pendant lamp for over that table with a white cord you can run along the window. A white hook in the ceiling will hold it. I temporarily lived in a house that had an amazing pendant fixture that wasn't hard wired but plugged in, with the white wire running all the way from a corner. The owners even left a little swag in the wiring, which ran from a corner. It's not the worst thing if the light you get is beautiful.
    Bookmark   September 4, 2014 at 11:10AM
housegal200
Here are some wall-mounted lamps with long arms from Shades of Light. Google "Long-armed swing lamps" to see what comes up.
    Bookmark   September 4, 2014 at 11:22AM
B Paton
If people sit here, it looks a little awkward to put your drink up there, because this cabinet is higher than the armrests on your chairs. You're just asking for spills after a cocktail or two! Do you have another spot in your room to put this cabinet so you can use it for your dessert table when needed? I would add a side table no higher than the chair arms and add a larger lamp. Maybe lower the mirror 4 inches or so, nobody will hit their head on it sitting in the chairs, honest.
    Bookmark   September 4, 2014 at 11:26AM
I need help on filling an empty corner in my living room!
I have a sectional with a chaise along my window but...
nica93
Need lighting help for the corner of my living room
Would like to put a light/lamp by the plant in the...
jmlw7
Need help with my living room
Tv, fireplace, entry and open layput
Connie Martin
Need help designing the lighting for my kitchen and living room
Here is the floor plan for the home I am having built....
snowflake4622
Need Lighting & Decorating help for my Living Room
My living room is long and has two main areas 1) the...
Lori Estes
Exterior color scheme for stone Tudor Revival?
We are renovating a stone Tudor Revival home built...
Lizann McLaughlin
Front door
Wanted a bold color on my front door. But I'm thinking...
Pam Clark
What can I do to improve the curb appeal of this small home
I would like to improve the curb appeal of my small...
dmanuel3
What is this granite called?
This stone (pictured) that's in our master bathroom...
margo90
Open concept, mixed flooring, heavy feel, poor space planning.
We moved into our new home and it needs serious redesign...
Pa P