Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momsbasement

Help me surprise my mom with a new basement!

momsbasement
9 years ago
My mom is the best. I can never pay her back for all she's done for us, but I CAN give her a surprise basement remodel! This is where you guys come in. I'd love to hear any suggestions on what I can do to make this a really special space for her and for our whole family. As you can see from the pictures, she's a big sports fan. This is where we like to hang out, spend time together and watch TV. As far as her overall style, she's pretty rustic.

I'm really just getting started, so I'm open to pretty much all suggestions at this point.

Any ideas?

Comments (28)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    you could put the bar stools in the space behind the couch with a high top table for sports zone nights!
    momsbasement thanked flair lighting
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    i might go with a track light or rail light to high light the jersey's
    momsbasement thanked flair lighting
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    9 years ago
    You've gotten some excellent ideas from flair lighting, so I will just suggest you look at some of the 4,000 or so photos that houzz has of "basements with sports themes" in the photo section above. That's where I found these two photos.
    Mediterranean Basement · More Info

Contemporary Homerun · More Info
    momsbasement thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • Allison Gervis
    9 years ago
    Lots of potential! Agreed with flair lighting that mounting the TV would have a great impact.

If you're looking to add more storage, consider under the stairs options like this:
    Brooklyn Townhouse · More Info
    and
    Sunnyside Project · More Info
    momsbasement thanked Allison Gervis
  • Gabriela Hebert
    9 years ago
    I agree with mounting the TV and think a big, comfy sectional would be a great add to the space...also maybe an ottoman coffee table for snacks/drinks on a tray (or to put up your feet!)
    momsbasement thanked Gabriela Hebert
  • oneofeleven
    9 years ago
    My suggestion would be to paint the room in lighter , brighter colours and to purchase a sectional to replace all of the odd, mismatched chairs. Sectionals encourage "togetherness" and will define the viewing space. The idea for a bar is also a good one, you could mount the sports memorabilia behind it and the moose!
    momsbasement thanked oneofeleven
  • Shannon Olden
    9 years ago
    i agree with a lot of the comments. get stuff up off the floor. i would also add some colour depending what she likes...greens and blues would work for me. are the darker walls wallpaper? grasscloth? if you do paint with grey don't go too dark.
    momsbasement thanked Shannon Olden
  • piedmontdiva
    9 years ago
    I think the main common denominator in fantastic basement remodels (which you won't necessarily notice) is LIGHTING! Because basements are usually low-ceilinged AND have no/little natural light, your lighting choices will make all the difference in the world. If you can add a lot more lighting down there, you will already be changing the vibe. I would suggest LED lighting, which doesn't run hot, is impervious to damp and will majorly save you in electric costs. Only drawback: the upfront costs are higher; but they are so worth it! I would recommend lots of smaller lights (look at the canned lighting in some of those great basements on houzz) instead of a few bigger lights, as you don't want to be blinding people, you want to be adding warmth and atmosphere. (Also, with LED lighting, make sure you're getting the WARM colors, as the brighter whites can look very clinical, even though they do tend to make more light.) Good luck with your remodel!!
    momsbasement thanked piedmontdiva
  • karenginas
    9 years ago
    Somewhere on one of those walls get aa waterfall 3' x 5 ' Moms love football but we also like tranquility.
    momsbasement thanked karenginas
  • Gram Clough
    9 years ago
    TV on wall jerseys on wall place the table under tv and put the sofa/ love seat where table is. May have to move corner pretty to opposite wall
    momsbasement thanked Gram Clough
  • Jeff ginsburg
    9 years ago
    Flair lighting nailed a lot. Wish we had pics of the area to the side. I would bag the couch and chairs for something new. If the couch is moved you really won't need recliner chairs, but if you want them Lazy Boy makes some now that are not ugly and don't even look like recliners. (Lazy Boy needed to do this as penance for their involvement in hideous furniture disign)
    momsbasement thanked Jeff ginsburg
  • Jeff ginsburg
    9 years ago
    Oops forgot to add, cover or replace that jack post!
    momsbasement thanked Jeff ginsburg
  • PRO
    CASTLE Design Studio LLC
    9 years ago
    Dear Momsbasement, what a fun and wonderful thing! I would call your style "Sports Lodge" with sport elements: memorabilia, equipment, score board, team colors and lodge elements: wood, taxidermy, plaid, aged, neutral colors. Before the fun stuff comes spacial analysis and function. Guessing spacial relationships from your photos, my suggestion is a big u - shaped sectional with a tall table/seating behind plus other seating and tables. You would need to measure and be sure access is good for delivery too.
    momsbasement thanked CASTLE Design Studio LLC
  • tlkemp57
    9 years ago
    Frame in the pole. Use reclaimed wood or repurpose pallets. Could also be used to do a wall treatment behind the tv.
    momsbasement thanked tlkemp57
  • diyer59
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    The safest thing to do is make notes of what you know she likes, work that together into the room. You said she's "rustic", so be careful not to make that basement dark and dingy overdoing that style. I'd concentrate on lighting first, then think of a cozy place to go--what are her favorite colors? You can either go neutral with pops of her favorite colors, or go crazy and make it a really colorful place. There are lots a great ideas out there to choose from. When painting the walls, take into consideration moisture in a basement, ask the expert at your local paint store about that--you might need a special under coat before putting on paint. Nice you're doing this, but do appreciate mom more on a daily basis!
    momsbasement thanked diyer59
  • Barbara Larson
    9 years ago
    WONDERFUL ideas
  • smartee222
    9 years ago
    I agree with Flair lighting's suggestions plus putting a high top table behind the couch with bar stools. You need a coffee table for snacks or better yet a large ottoman that doubles for extra seating for larger crowds. There are good flush mount low profile ceiling fans with lights at Lowes to keep the view of the screen clear.
    momsbasement thanked smartee222
  • Lizzy L.
    9 years ago
    Pull up the carpet. If there is concrete under there, you can have it refinished in so many cool ways these days. You can even go super-shiny. Or, put some quality laminate down that has a rustic look. Wrap the support beams in reclaimed wood, or wrap in wood then paint them out white. The ceiling and trim should also be painted/repainted white. Install 4" pot lights in the ceiling. On the walls, I would go with a crisp light grey, with a darker shade of grey on the wall where the TV will be mounted. For furniture, I would ditch the lazy-boys and put in a small sectional (with colorful pillows) and then some kind of cool coffee table with storage. Mount the TV and put some built-in open & closed cabinets on either side. Remove or replace the ceiling fan with something more contemporary, then hang some colorful framed posters or prints on the walls. All along the way, making careful decisions about size & scale. I have a similar basement. I'll post a pic later. Good luck!
    momsbasement thanked Lizzy L.
  • Jill Pokryfke
    9 years ago
    You have a lot of great ideas here! I'm not a professional, but I think if you want to give it a more rustic feeling, I think you should box the poles with wood and cover the soffit with wood to give the look of a wood beam. Then, put a bar height table behind the couch (like flair lighting suggested) with the bar stools, and use an end table like this between the couch and chair along the wall.

[houzz=
    Family Room, Home Theater and Bar · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    jamesthomas, LLC · More Info
    ]
    momsbasement thanked Jill Pokryfke
  • moggie73
    9 years ago
    Flair and others has nailed it with great suggestions. Agree, more pics from other angles of this room and the adjoining space would be helpful to all. Are you doing both areas?
    Your budget? Timeline?
    What a wonderful gift for your Mother. Do keep us posted.
    momsbasement thanked moggie73
  • richhates_holmesonholmes
    9 years ago
    That lovely telepost. ..make it a signpost with distances to rival teams fields.
    that 8 point dear (someone called moose haha) should get some respect too. hiding it on the wall corner is shameful...jersey that and make it the sports lounge mascot.
    Lighting again is paramount to a successful basement...and whomever mentioned LED is right on the money..lose that fan!! and go for some LED lighting that is reastat controlled....and nd whatever you do..stay away from GREY OF ANY KIND!!! Grey in a basement makes it cold and uncosey. I would do the lighting before the color pallet so you can tone it for light direction...have fun...and say hi to the deer for me!!
    momsbasement thanked richhates_holmesonholmes
  • Lizzy L.
    9 years ago
    He's my similar basement. Remodeled in 2005.
    momsbasement thanked Lizzy L.
  • camillertime
    9 years ago
    I would highly recommend a bar set up, mounting the TV and swapping the seating for a sectional - this will help freshen up and liven up the space! A fun accent rug would also be a nice touch to tie it all together!
    momsbasement thanked camillertime
  • richhates_holmesonholmes
    9 years ago
    lizzy L that basement of yours is awesome...big market for that chic in western Canada s best city -Calgary. have been in many basements there and maybe 2 come close to yours out of thousands I've been down too. Most people screw up or under utilize half their use able livable room there...which is crazy to me as 8 months a year your inside there.
    Again Lizzy...well done...let it be album poster is soo so cool!!
    one nagging question though...where does the Japanese escape screen door go too? Narnia or Tokyo? haha
    momsbasement thanked richhates_holmesonholmes
  • PRO
    Catherine Renae Thomas Design Co.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hey richhates_holmesonholmes - love the idea of the sports directional signage on the structural post! Any examples that you may have to share? thank you! c
    momsbasement thanked Catherine Renae Thomas Design Co.
  • woogies3
    9 years ago
    Lizz L.... are you sure that's your basement? Very very nice.......
    momsbasement thanked woogies3
  • Lizzy L.
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much, richhates & woogies3!! The Japanese-looking doors are from Home Depot, if you can believe it. I used them for the closets. http://www.homedepot.com/p/TRUporte-Grand-2290-Series-60-in-x-80-in-Composite-Espresso-3-Lite-Tempered-Frosted-Glass-Sliding-Door-2290/203072499