help. new, fresh, outside ideas needed for big remodel and addition.

Bobby_Jo LutnerApril 22, 2012
We have 2 images here. The first is pretty much our house now. The second is our first attempts to meet our needs/wants, but needs some tweaking. We are trying to open the concept and add some square footage. We have twins, and impossible to keep track of them during dinner prep. We also want to add a garage to the back of the property.
1. we planned on a detached garage connect by a breezeway to help unify the spaces, indoor and out. In the second pic, the garage is attached but I really want more light, more windows and am worried our home will still be too dark.
2. I don't love the closet placement in the foyer.
3. I don't think the kitchen needs an additional connection to the front of the house by the hall, I think its misplacing our kitchen layout. The kitchen layout,- I don't love - especially the mini island, love the WIP and bar/island but there is a lot of empty unused space between the kitchen and nook.
4. I really wanted a functional storage amount of space in the mudroom, but it currently just a hallway. I also know we need a drop zone/area. Our dining room table currently acts as drop area = clutter! I don't mind it being a mudroom/laundry/drop zone.
5. Dont know about nook area,
Can this be improved or am I just being too 'needy', picky. I don't want to settle for 'good enough' with this size project.
Thanks for your help!!
Bobby_Jo Lutner
*I should have said 'outside perspective'.
    Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 5:36AM
Hi Bobby, this would be my suggestion to simplify your floor plan.

1. If possible move the garage to the right of the plan to create a more direct line of travel from garage to mud room.

2. Moving the entry closet to the right of the front door defines the Dining Room and Foyer more, thus guests are not looking into the dining table upon entering the house.

3. Closing off the kitchen from the foyer allows a display niche area for a welcoming and private foyer.

4. A service 'core' allows room for a bench in the mud room, larger walk in pantry, and a spacious drop zone / desk area.

5. Moving the Nook to the angled space provides more light and better for entertaining to the rear deck.

Hope it helps.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Bobby_Jo Lutner    April 22, 2012 at 9:44AM
Bobby_Jo Lutner
wow. I have such a hard time working outside the box. This is very helpful. It makes me realize we could create this 'core' area but it would still allow the concept to remain relatively open. And that's a pantry probably 5 x 5! I also like the right top wall being straight, I wasn't loving that zig zag before. I think the closet placement and a niche is such a PERFECT idea! Getting warmer. Thank u!
    Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 10:13AM
Big Kitchen/maybe more remodel.
I had an addition added about ten years ago, and am...
tearose128
Need Help with designing Kitchen Remodel, & Possibly House Extension.
We are a family of 4, kids aged 5 and 7. I have a small...
myrenokitchen
Major addition and remodel of 1950s California ranch
We bought a 1959 ranch in Walnut Creek, CA earlier...
bardzil
Addition Ideas for our Cape
We have been in our house almost a year which was completely...
Ashley DiMauro
Need Help With New Addition To The House Design
We are working on an addition to the house, which will...
nyla_inc
Ugly? Need design help room by room before my marriage falls apart!
Joking. Kind of. ;) Who knew that decorating a home...
Celeste Pav
Tankless hot water tank...never again.
We installed a tankless hot water tank and it never...
jonathan3
Need help for the window treatment in our living room
I moved into a mid-century house which has a living...
marialyssa
Fix this master bedroom.
Hello all. I need help with making over my master bedroom....
sudeen
Living Room Dilemma
Large wall and need ideas on what to do with it. Don't...
-theresa
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Ceiling Fan: Westinghouse Willow Breeze 52 in. Indoor/Outdoor White Ceil
Home Depot
Lithonia Lighting Recessed Lighting 3 in. GU10 Matte White Baffle Recessed Kit
$16.51 | Home Depot
Coca-Cola Disc Beaded Garland
$9.99 | zulily
Tough-1 Soft Poly Bristle Brush Bright Colors - 12 pk. Assorted - 68-801B-0-0
$53.99 | Hayneedle
Delta 6 Drawer Dresser - Black Cherry - 70816-607
$249.98 | Hayneedle
12'' Plastic Swirl Piping Bag - Set of 100
$8.99 | zulily