Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mupm

kitchen reno

mupm
12 years ago
Looking for inspiration and fresh ideas!
Doing a complete overhaul on our farmhouse kitchen. Want to keep the traditional feel but update the ammenities! Currently area has a back stairs, walk in pantry, small open mud room area, 4 windows (including one large picture window), and 6 doorways (with potential to open another one for direct access to family room. There is NO counter space and very limited cupboards. Ceilings are 9 feet. Looking to do a complete renovation, including updating wiring and isulation, but not really sure where to begin for footprint and planning as there is not a lot of "bare wall space." Thinking of making an island but would like to be able to keep a seating area too. I like the idea of keeping the walk in pantry and putting some cupboards and open shelving in there. Need space for large fridge, stove (possibly separate oven and cooktop) and dishwasher. Help and suggestions kindly appreciated!
Don't laugh at my drawing ;o)- definitely not my forte!

Comments (7)

• lefty47
    12 years ago
    HI - You haven't provided enough info and measurements for a proper answer. Because there are so many openings have a certified kichen designer to your home to give you an idea etc. Some Cabinet companies have a designer to consult . Make sure it's not just a sales person.
  • PRO
    Toni Sabatino
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hello there.....It appears to me that the left side top would be where you access the stair well with the pantry sort of under it? Rustic farm style is one of my favorites and I have often done island/table combinations Please check out my photos, particularly "rustic kitchen 2" with a nice idea for a farm sink. I agree that a professional would be a good move in this case. Sharing a HOUZZ idea book with a local professional would probably be your best bet as you can get topview and 3 D views to make sure you are happy with how you will live in your recreated space, particularly room for seating. Below is a perspective sample from a clients portfolio.
  • mupm
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks so much for all of your tips and suggestions. I really appreciate them! The access to the stairs is actually right beside the door to the pantry. There is a little closet under the stairs at present. I really am having difficulty getting a fresh perspective of the room and think a professional is a good idea. Another challenge is that the windows, being very traditional start 20 inches from the floor. We are hoping to preserve the original trim- but I'm not sure how a countertop would work across a window ( the picture window in bottom left is not original and states about 3'3" from floor.
    The right hand wall is north facing so there is lots of morning sun in this space (although there is also a covered porch on east(bottom) side. The two exterior doors at bottom right and bottom of drawing are updated are full glass (sort of garden door style but a single door).
    Again I am so appreciative of your suggestions! Thank you all for sharing and your time!!
  • Tarey Cullen
    12 years ago
    suggest you take exterior pictures and label your pictures A,B,C,D and show these on your plan. If you can take interior shots great. label them ,E,F,G.H
  • smtp
    12 years ago
    HI GIRLFRIEND, from your diagram, i would leave windows, doors, mud room, pantry, stairs as is, even put the new door to the family room, all of which will result in a bigger budget to complete your kitchen. On the stair wall, you can place your cooking needs, stove top, counter and ovens. On the pantry wall, you can put your fridge and some more counter space on either side. Take 3-4 feet from the remaining two walls on the left and front of your diagram to keep as walk space and put a counter top running parallel to those two walls, but keeping it only counter height. you can have an overhang for an eating counter if you like. Your sink and dishwasher will be put in this "L" counter along with lots and lots of work space. you can then see out of all windows and through all doors as the room is currently structured. you will be able to access the kitchen "hub" directly from the mud room with all your shopping needs. you might also be able to put a pass through at the top end where the new counter will meet the stair wall. since you will have a perimeter counter of approximately 6 feet on the left side(allowing for pass through) and 12 foot run to the mudroom, you will have lots of storage space..... maybe move the washer/dryer into the pantry????
  • mupm
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Great ideas- I will try to get some photos- exterior ones will be helpful?
    How much space is typical between counter and island?
    If we open the door to the family room I would think about putting a large table at the end closest to the kitchen. Its a large space about 13x22 - if there was direct access with a dining table then a small seating area would be just fine in kitchen. Originally there was a door from the kitchen into the family room.
    I would like to have a small bench and some closet or cubby space in the mudroom area. Obviously the less we change the bones of the room then the easier it will be on the pocket!
    I love getting a new perspective on the room! Thanks everyone!!