Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snagd

I need advice on porch design for our home

snagd
12 years ago
The brick on the upper section of the porch is seriously compromised. I have been told by multiple masons that relaying would be vary costly and water would always be an issue with the flat roof. I am considering removing the top section and puttting a pitched roof. I would really appreciate help with ideas on the best look for the porch roof. Thanks!

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    12 years ago
    Hi snagd, it's possible to remove the upper portion of the porch and replace with a hipped roof and still in keeping with the character of the house.
  • snagd
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    thank you! i feel upset over changing the original look, but if i can attain a cohesive look with better function i will be thrilled!
  • PRO
    Red Ridge Millwork
    12 years ago
    Hi snagd, you're faced with a bit of a dilemma, true, however since you DO want to fix the problem not just put a bandaid on it may I respectfully suggest that this may be an opportunity to enhance the house' look while solving an issue.
    Would you consider removing both decks and creating a wrap-around porch connecting both with a slope down roof at the same pitch as the main roof or as close as you could get to it.
    It would create a pleasing horizontal break and give front elevation a less choppy appearance.
    Also if you left the brick pillars and added new ones where appropriate it would tie everything together beautifully.

If you needed more help to design the idea let me know.
    Respectfully,
    Greg

Red Ridge Millwork & Design Ltd.
    greg@redridgewinecellars.com
    http://www.redridgewinecellars.com
    http://www.allreclaimedwoodfurniture.com
  • PRO
    Joni Koenig Interiors
    12 years ago
    Greg, I like your suggestion. And iif brick is too costly, perhaps another material for the porch face.
  • PRO
    Naselari
    12 years ago
    If you ask anyones professional opinion I would agree with Greg. His idea is the best esthetically, form and functionality, and you will create more presence, curb appeal and fix your problem, w/more pillars mimicking the ones already there, but also inviting to the front and wrapping around to the porch. Yet I also am a big believer in preservation and your home is beautiful as is, but find ways w/gutter and outlets for the water,snow, what ever falls to porch areas. Re-distribute spouts/gutters throughout. So let me get this straight, is the porch around the corner in the same dilemna? Or is it only the front porch?
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    HI -- I agree with a big stately wrap a round porch - it will look like it has always been there if done properly. Grand wide entrance stairs right in front with sturdy looking posts and railings . You could even gazebo out on the right front corner -- you have lots of room for it.
  • PRO
    Naselari
    12 years ago
    don't do gazebo...it will detract from overall look. BIG wraparound porch, and wider entry into front area...instead of from drive-way..open front up to steps...limestone, etc.
  • PRO
    Studio21 Architects
    12 years ago
    I would agree with encouraging you to repair what you have. An architect can detail the proper construction of the flat roof, and if properly installed will not leak. If your worry is keeping the aesthetic character of your house, which is wonderful, this route is a must. Talk to architects and general contractors in your area, a licensed profesional will be able to fix any issues you are currently having and give you the look you hope to have.
  • PRO
    Kenneth F. Szpara, AIA
    12 years ago
    I agree with SWA.
  • PRO
    Naselari
    12 years ago
    I also agree w/ SWA....
  • yummie1
    12 years ago
    A lot of good suggestions.
    As a preservationist that works in the real world, If you decide to do the wrap around porch, you might look at retaining the brick outside columns then copy in wood the details for the other columns needed as you go around the house.
    I must agree with Smith Assoc. too. Flat roofs can be made water proof with the correct engineering. As said it might just cost the same as building a wrape around porch, or less. Landscaping is what is needed to then soften the lines around the front.
    Sad to say it always comes to the budget
    DLH
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    HI -- naselari -- I strongly disagree with you saying- no gazebo -- it is very common to have a gazebo type area on the corner of a wrap around porch . People have big wicker chairs and rockers and or a porch swing there for hanging out and visiting . I think your not understanding what I mean . They have a lot of what I am talking about in the southern states and on country style houses and on houses like the one in this segment. If you search on this site "wrap around porch with corner gazebo" You will see several of what I am talking about for this house.
  • snagd
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you for the insightful comments and suggestions. i had actually wondered about a wrap porch and discussed it with a mason. We were not sure about the placement of the pillars and just how many more would be needed. The way the porch is now totally blocks view of the front door and overall does not have a very welcoming entrance. I wish i lived where the house could support a large about of investment on this,however, resale in this small midwest town does not. I removed a sidewalk running infront of the house in hopes to redirect the stairs and also landscape infront of the open right side. Thanks again!
  • yummie1
    12 years ago
    Two very easy solutions. Remove the upper hand rail to the flat roof porch and install a 4 to 8 pitch roof to cover the upper decks. be sure to pay attention to the details of the eave trim as the roof is built.
    If the front of the house is that which is pictured, remove the bushes in the front of the porch we are looking at, move them to the right void, open the brick railing and build a set of stairs in brick to match. The stairs shoud be at least 6 ft from side to side. Large newell posts of wood and similar detail as the existing columns.. If you can get a mason to cut the bricks clean here, large newal post at the porch height returns would do well and could capture the cut off brick rail ends.
    The stairs here would be inviting to the house. The roof leaking will be addressed, and there is little compromise.
    I also suggest you take pictures of the house now and when you are done. Pass them along for future people to see the progression and the past details.
  • PRO
    Old House New House Management LLC
    12 years ago
    I have to say i love porches but a wrap around porch on this house would only add expense and not functionality as you would be building a long walkway versus usable space. I think taking the upper brick railing off and opening up the lower porches especially the main one with a more formal wide staircase would improve the curb appeal of the home. I would maintain the low pitch horizontal nature of the roofs and give a deep trim that provides the weight lost by the structure above. Landscaping and then color added to the stucco and trim elements will do a lot fo this home
  • axlee
    12 years ago
    I strongly agree with SWA and Smith Architects. Your house style is a gem. While the wrap-around might be very appealing, I have a hard time imagining that it would cost less than fixing what you have -- and it will change the look of the house style. I was recently involved in a project that involved a roof not draining properly in the tough Maritime climate where I live and if you enlist the help of a professional and experienced roofing company, I feel certain they could design a roofing solution for you. If you are finding that the porch(es) block light from coming into the interior you may be able to solve that problem with some simple colour switches on the inside. There are also lots of simple inexpensive ways to dress the porches on the outside to make them look more welcoming. Don't create a design problem when what you are trying to fix is a construction problem.
  • snagd
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    how about a railing in between the brick columns?
  • PRO
    Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I agree this home is a gem. I think it's more cost efficient to address and correct the problem instead of demo, new foundations, new framing, patching up brickwork at the house where the brick porch was connected, repairing the lawn and replacing landscaping, etc, etc.

The flat roofing part should be stripped, reroofed with a corrected pitch towards one or two large scupper openings. You also need to have high flashing aginst the inside face of the masonry walls. You may even have to get the flashing under the stone caps.

With a little bit of tuckpointing, your gem will be refreshed and will look the way the original Architect intended it to look.

The money you save on this approach can then be used on refreshing the stucco tudor gables and roofing.
  • PRO
    Adapt Architecture & Construction
    11 years ago
    I strongly agree with that the porch(es) should stay. Your house looks great.

A low slope is not a problem with proper installation from a qualified roofer. We just finished 4 houses with low slope porches over living space. They all used 80mil Kenguard PVC roofing. The low temp full welds forms a monolithic when installed. It is installed with all the proper flashing and they offer a full 20 year warranty for labor and materials. It can be installed under tile and other decking materials also.
  • snagd
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I just finished talking with another mason. His recommendation was to remove the section of porch balcony. He said brick ontop of wood is never a good idea.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    Maybe you should be talking to roofers instead of a masons!
  • axlee
    11 years ago
    Excellent point. What sub-contractor is going to say "It's not me you need. You need to pay the other guy."
  • PRO
    Lavender
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Very strongly agree with comments from "axlee, SWA, Smith Architects, Mycyk Architects and Dewitt Architects". I also second the motion to speak with roofers. Fix the water problem, your house is beautiful as is.

But apart from my own personal taste, should you choose to follow some of the wraparound porch and wooden column suggestions thus far made, you would only add to the cost in the long run (cheap materials degenerate and need replacement more often), bastardize the integrity of the house which is more Edwardian than Victorian and likely discover as you already suspect that funds spent would not be recoupable when the house needs to be sold.

To improve the curb appeal of the house, focus on cosmetics, i.e.; a more stately paint choice for the gables and exterior trim; restore the lawns; and, add judicious plantings with some complementary coloured flowers that enhance the new paint job and brick.

Good Luck, snagd!

Bianca
  • PRO
    Lavender
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    And oh yes, no gazebos! If you really like the idea...put one in your backyard, although here in my part of the country...they range from $10,000 to $25,000!

B
  • PRO
    Chroma Design
    11 years ago
    Please keep the porches and rebrick the decks. Those porches have a FLW sensiblility that I think is terrific! I totally agree with Mycyk architects about total costs of a wrap around and being able to have money to improve the rest of the facade.

Hire an architect to spec out the correct under layment materials, flashing and whatever else is needed to grade the roof. Then get mason/ roofer quotes based on those specs.
  • Olwethu Mandla
    11 years ago
    reinforce that porch roof,and turn it into balcony,a very good looking balustrade,then maybe a sloped roof on identical columns as the ones on the entrance, change color cause that color is modern and your house is a beautiful piece of art and would need a colour that is going to show off that style of the house.