Floor stain color?
amgreene
April 24, 2012 in Photo Questions
I love the floors! could you please tell me what kind of wood and what color stain you used to achieve this look? thank you
elllsworth11
Floors are 2 1/4 wide long plank unstained real white oak that is quarter sawn. It is then stained with a minwax stain that is 50% ebony and 50% Jacobean. It is then finished with a polyurethane oil based product made by Absco- in Satin.
April 25, 2012 at 4:08pm     
amgreene
Thank you so much!!! I just bought a house that has the red oak version of the same wood. I am trying to achieve this same look but apparently the red oak takes the stain color differently. Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it.
April 25, 2012 at 5:45pm   
elllsworth11
This is the owner of the house above again: You would have to get the floors stripped and sanded to start again with a new color. This has to be a professional floor sanding company. Get a few extra planks to match your color if possible and stain test them with a few diferent percentages of the minwax mix, or color test an area on the floor with the minwax stain mxiture. Look at it for a few days before going ahead with a color. You might need to add a higher percentage slightly of ebony to achieve the same look as white oak to counter the red color of red oak. Bu you don't want it too red or too muddy either! My floor guy said a great idea is wetting the floors before to get the color to pop. I would only do this if you have quarter sawn oak. That means that you don't see the swirls of the grain like regular oak that has all the grain swirls. We chose quarter sawn, and I wouldn't wet the floors to pop the color before staining if you don't have quarter sawn because the grain would come out even more pronounced. (Most homes do not come with quarter sawn, so no big deal if this isn't what you have.) I highly suggest using the oil based Absco prouduct- Satin. What you finish the floor with is very important. Google Absco to see it. Whatever you do, do not use a water based polyurethane or the floors will have a plastic fake look to them. The absco product is good and affordable too. Good luck!
April 25, 2012 at 6:34pm     
Wendy Wang
great tips! thanks. i also have the red oak and trying to achieve a dark color.
May 20, 2012 at 3:05am   
Kosta's Inc.
I have red oak too and I'm trying to achieve a dark expression
Color buy we keep seeing the swirls. Any input?
August 21, 2012 at 11:06am     
Oak & Broad
Ellsworth, thank you for such a clear and concise description. Quarter Sawn floors are incredible with their tiger strips and rays.
August 21, 2012 at 12:49pm     
mrenae
Would you kindly let me know how many coats of the 50/50 floor stain that you applied to achieve this color.
November 8, 2012 at 8:59am   
Leah McNeal
How many coats did you have to apply in order to achieve this dark stain?
March 10, 2013 at 7:11pm   
elllsworth11
This is ellsworth- It is really not a matter of coats. 50 percent minwax jacobean mixed with 50 percent ebony. Follow the minwax staining instructions. Our floor person said the only advice would be to wet the floors first maybe to soak the color in. Try with a wood sample that is the same as your floors. You can get a wood sample at a lumber yard. Our floors are white oak, so the color might be a little redder if yours are red oak. You would need to sample a few boards from the lumber yard. Finish with an oil based polycrylic from Absco.
March 10, 2013 at 7:23pm   
amybcooper
Do you recall what stain you used on the banister? wondering if you went with a satin? Semigloss? thanks!
August 20, 2013 at 1:38pm   
051566
What stain did you use on front door? was it 50%ebony 50% jacobean? thanks!
June 12, 2014 at 9:08am   
Architect or Designer for Rustic Style near PA
Does anyone know of an architect or designer that does...
How do I hang curtains?
I want to hang curtains in the 2 bedrooms. How would...
Need help picking out countertops!
I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and could really...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Need help with color
My living room walls are currently a boring off white....