Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haylez33

Help making my bedroom appealing and attractive - decoration tips!

haylez33
12 years ago
Hello! I am very much hoping some of you style gurus can help me!

I am looking to change the appearance of my bedroom. At the moment it feels cluttered, and I don't feel that I have much of a talent for displaying things nicely - as in bags, scarves, jewellery etc. SHould they be on display? Additionally, how do I fill the bookshelves so they look attractive? The curtains and furniture cannot be substituted, but I am open to any suggestions on how I can make attractive changes relatively cheaply. I have plenty of storage space, but am not very good at using it! What do I need to add/change/remove/move around to make this room both look pleasing to the eye, and relaxing to be in?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you - I have attached 4 photos as you would view the room in a clockwise direction. Thank you!!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Get Back JoJo
    12 years ago
    hello. Looks like you would like to become more organized and add some interest,& color. Have you done any editing? have you gone through everything to see what you haven't used in a while or have grown tired of? Maybe consider painting the natural wood white this way you are consistent. Maybe get some nice lacquer boxes to store the little stuff in and this way you will have some interesting neat boxes n the shelf. The Container Store sells these wonderful colored boxes from $6 and up and they can hold anything from jewelry to business cards. They are really nice looking. There are larger container that can fit above your shelves for more storage. Do the suitcases get used a lot? if not I suggest hiding them, maybe under the bed if you can't fit them in the closets. Hope this helps!
  • Manon Floreat
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi, haylez. The natural wood unit that's tucked into the niche, is it the same as the unit immediately to the left upon entry? If so, I would paint it white, add the rolling fabric cover like the other one and place it on the wall to the left upon entry witht he other one. Between them, I would place the tall slender shelf. Atop them, I would put large wicker, tin or wooden baskets to store items that don't need to be seen. The wardrobe with the doors can go in the niche to the right of the bed.

I think the natural shelf unit in the middle of the wall to the right of the bed is unnecessary and might be more useful in another room. In its place consider a large dressing mirror, canvas or other art.

The curtains could be replaced as well. Longer ones mounted as close the ceiling as possible will emphasize the great ceiling height you have. You may even consider an upholstered bench beneath the window instead of the side table you currently have there.

In terms of display, the general rule of thumb is to group like items. It looks like all of your books will fit on the bookcase to the right of the window. Perhaps the top and bottom rows could be for books, the middle one for perfumes and lotions, etc.

I think a towel rack or hooks could be installed on the side of the the re-located wall unit. Having them oriented towards the balcony(?) door will keep your entrance door clear of robes and towels.

These are just some ideas to get you started. You'll have to see what fits and what doesn't. Hope this is helpful.
  • PRO
    Magical Makeover Interiors
    12 years ago
    I think editing is key here. You have a nice bright space, some creative closed storage can really make a difference. You might consider curtains for the two sections on the left side of your bed. Not sure how deep the space is but with the curtain floor to ceiling and a picture on the middle wall you'd have a clean look with a lot of hidden storage. I'd use a neutral color and would coordinate with the window curtains which should be floor to ceiling as well. After you create the curtain "closets" you can see what's left to store and then simplify the rest of your storage and use some of the ideas above to finish.
  • houssaon
    12 years ago
    Great ideas from all above.
    There are units that raise a bed about 5 1/4 inches off the floor, so you can stow the suitcases and seasonal items in bins under your bed. My niece used these when she lived with while going to school: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10025773&N=&Ntt=bed+riser&in_dym=1

Don't put enything on top of the storage units.
  • robynl
    12 years ago
    Did anyone suggest moving the bed to beneath the windows? This way you see a pretty bed. Get new curtains that fall to the floor also. Paint all furniture white and get pretty coordinating storage baskets. I agree to slipcover all clothes units.
  • PRO
    Donna Frasca
    12 years ago
    If I may, I'd like to suggest a wall color for you. It's called “Seersucker Suit 580” by Benjamin Moore, Color Stories. Really classy color available only in washable matte.
  • ruth chikalla
    12 years ago
    edit edit edit
  • mjosephine
    12 years ago
    I'm with everyone else..paint bookcases white to match paint the wooden one and cover it with a roll up blind like the large unit you already have...can't find a blind to match? get a couple of cheap wide porch or patio blinds at walmart move the bed in front of window... And up to the ceiling with the curtains/ lengthen the old black ones by adding on enough length of coordinating fabric/print or solid on top or bottom there are many no sew fabric glues and iron together products.also inexpensive fabric shower curtains are great to use for this purpose. Take the larger white bookcase out of the little alcove and put the bedside floorlamp and a chair there. The 2 white bookcases go next to each other on the wall where the bed was, Pick a medium color from your curtain add on fabric and paint the back panels of the bookcases to match and make your collections POP! 2 cheap mirrors from a "dollar Store" will showcase liquor bottles and wine glasses; use them for trays and reflective backdrops... the jewelry display amid the great links jamieson sent you would look good on the shelves..tealight candles too....cover shoeboxes/ pringlels cann/ oatmeal boxes with leftover scraps of curtain fabrics for your shelf storage and make some no sew pillows you might consider painting the lone open non clothes storage bookcase a bright color from your fabric getting some 3for $10 canvas storage cubes at Family dollar for purse/scarfpersonal lotion storage on a couple of shelves and all the books together on the rest. A couple of posters would break up the monotony of the big white storage unit and there will be plenty of space above the 2 white bookcases for photos/ art the small table can go next to your bed with a lamp on it giving you a source of light on both sides of the bed. All this will cost about $100. If you can toss a pretty colored throw on the bed it would be perfect....Whatever you do post the after pics please